You are here

Allan Holdsworth explains how it works

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Allan Holdsworth explains how it works

Postby DC-Choppah » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 pm

Music is vast. Infinite even.

I am glad there is enough space for many different tastes.

I am struck by how the individual musicians deals with this infinite palette.

Mr. Holdsworth explains his choices, humbly, just his own.

The choices we make define us as artists.

Like little boats going out into a vast sea, in their own direction.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby blinddrew » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Yep, I'm happy playing in the shallows but I like to watch the ocean-goers set out, even if I lose sight of them before too long. :)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby manwilde » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:25 pm

SecretSam wrote:Start with Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, and Porgy and Bess, then some Herbie Hancock 60s stuff and Gershwin's World, then Cannonball Adderley's Accent on Africa. Round it off with Andy Sheppard's ASAP (which is a tune, not an album), then ask me again.

"Kind of blue", cliché as it might sound for the connoisseur, is a perfect starting point for going into "deep" stuff, in my humble opinion. Also, if you want to sing-a-long tunes while taking a shower, check out Donald Byrd´s "Say you´re mine" or Cannonball´s "The chant". If you wanna dance while house cleaning (and stop cleaning to dance some more), Lee Morgan´s "The Sidewinder. And if you want to listen to somebody feeling the blues while playing jazz guitar, there you have your "Midnight Blue" by Kenny Burrell... oh, man! :clap: :clap: :clap:
manwilde
Poster

Postby manwilde » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:29 pm

And by the way, since this is a "sound" magazine, don´t you think that "Kind of Blue" is a very good choice for testing equipment?. I mean, that sound...
manwilde
Poster

Postby CS70 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:01 pm

DC-Choppah wrote:The choices we make define us as artists.
Like little boats going out into a vast sea, in their own direction.

Very nicely put. The stuff you decide _not_ to play is as important than the one you do and there's a million notes that Allan could have played, but didn't.

Music taste is just that: taste. Complexity for its own sake is pure BS imho . and there is absolutely zero added value in "more complex music" per se.. unless one is moved by complexity (which most people ain't, hence jazz niche-ness).

But any musician making his own thing, whatever that thing is, is to be respected and admired regardless - if anything, for daring to show his/own direction at that moment in time. It's a thing of beauty.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Previous