You are here

Recommend someone to work on my strat?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Recommend someone to work on my strat?

Postby al_diablo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:38 am

I have a 20 year old Mexican standard Strat that I bought second hand (I have always had some suspicions it may not even be genuine!)

It was my first proper guitar and I'm quite attached to it but it has some issues - the pickups are a bit unbalanced tonally, the action has never been quite right, the hardware has all got a bit corroded etc.

I thought it would be nice to rebuild it, preferably as HSS and with upgraded electronics and a better action. I could do it badly myself but would rather it was worked on by a professional who could transform it and do a proper job.

I've sold plenty of guitars but can't part with this one, so might as well get it playing the best it can

I have no idea who to ask to do this - can anyone recommend anybody? I also don't know what sort of cost to expect so advice welcome regarding budget too (including what is and isn't a waste of money!!)

I am aware there are people on the forum who may be able to do something like this, I'd love to hear from you if you were interested in the job.
al_diablo
Regular

Re: Recommend someone to work on my strat?

Postby Music Wolf » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:49 am

We'd need to know where you are located before we could recommend anyone.
Music Wolf
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby al_diablo » Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:54 am

Oops, yes that would help.

UK based, live in London.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby zenguitar » Fri Sep 04, 2020 11:29 am

A long way from me in Devon, and I have far too much on my plate already. However, there are quite a few folks around the London area so I expect you should get some helpful, informed advice.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby SecretSam » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:49 pm

When I lived in London a very long time ago, the standard advice was Charlie Chandler. Probably costs a bit these days.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby rggillespie » Fri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm

I can highly recommend Andy and Andrew at Richmond guitar works. They used to be at Chandler guitars in Kew before it closed. Andy set up my strat fantastically, nothing but praise for them, super knowledgable and reasonably priced too.
rggillespie
Regular

Postby al_diablo » Sun Sep 06, 2020 2:57 pm

Thanks for the recommendations guys. I will get in touch with those 2 places and see what they say. My main guitar could do with some TLC as well, so perhaps I should try and send some business to both.

Alex
al_diablo
Regular