You are here

How to a use a Behringer Tube Amp Modeler TM 300 for recording quitar using DAW

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

How to a use a Behringer Tube Amp Modeler TM 300 for recording quitar using DAW

Postby damartin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 8:43 am

Hi guys,

I bought a Behringer pedal Tube Amp Modeler TM 300 for my electric guitar. For recording I already have an old FCA202 that works just fine with my guitar directly pluged in. And I also own a Behringer mixer Xenyx802. I wonder how/where should I connect/place my new pedal in order to get a good sound for recording in a DAW on my Mac. The Impulse Response is provided by my digital Impulse Loader on my Mac. Should I plug in my pedal straight into the audio interface? Should I use the mixer? Do I really need a DI box? and so on...

Thanks!

Martin
damartin
Poster

Re: How to a use a Behringer Tube Amp Modeler TM 300 for recording quitar using DAW

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:33 am

damartin wrote:Hi guys,

I bought a Behringer pedal Tube Amp Modeler TM 300 for my electric guitar. For recording I already have an old FCA202 that works just fine with my guitar directly pluged in. And I also own a Behringer mixer Xenyx802. I wonder how/where should I connect/place my new pedal in order to get a good sound for recording in a DAW on my Mac. The Impulse Response is provided by my digital Impulse Loader on my Mac. Should I plug in my pedal straight into the audio interface? Should I use the mixer? Do I really need a DI box? and so on...

Thanks!

Martin

Yes, with pedals normally you can plug them straight in the audio interface, into the same Hi Z input you use for the plain guitar... For this specific one, since its name is "Tube Amp Modeler" it may work also in a normal line input... I guess, as it's probably supposed to be used as a preamp. Just try and listen.

For the same reason I suspect the output level can go pretty high (higher than instrument level) but sensibly it has a "level" knob so make sure it's low enough not to clip the converters of the interface.

The resulting sound will go (as it should) to your in DAW cabinet emulations to produce the finished product.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: How to a use a Behringer Tube Amp Modeler TM 300 for recording quitar using DAW

Postby damartin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:39 am

Thanks! I thought so. the thing with this FCA202 is that it's so basic (e.g. no gain control - for checking the levels and clipping, no XRL etc.). I dont have the pedal yet but I'm not sure the inputs (2 TS jack chanels) of the audio interface are really Hi-Z. the description in the manual is rather ambiguos. maybe, if possibl,e the inputs are something in-between "line level" and "instrument level". Otherwise it works just fine (perhaps not the best sound) with the guitar directly pluged in (I am using amp sims and the sound is pretty good). For that matter I was mentioning the mixer in the sense that I could plug in the pedal in the line level input of the mixer and then the output of the mixer in the interface. this is the way I can have some gain control etc.
damartin
Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:10 pm

damartin wrote:
Thanks! I thought so. the thing with this FCA202 is that it's so basic (e.g. no gain control - for checking the levels and clipping, no XRL etc.). I dont have the pedal yet but I'm not sure the inputs (2 TS jack chanels) of the audio interface are really Hi-Z. the description in the manual is rather ambiguos. maybe, if possibl,e the inputs are something in-between "line level" and "instrument level". Otherwise it works just fine (perhaps not the best sound) with the guitar directly pluged in (I am using amp sims and the sound is pretty good). For that matter I was mentioning the mixer in the sense that I could plug in the pedal in the line level input of the mixer and then the output of the mixer in the interface. this is the way I can have some gain control etc.

Right, looked at the FCA202 back panel online and it's a line-level device, no preamps, so yeah, the inputs aren't hi-z. There's no gain control because it expects the source to regulate the output level within the "line" voltages range.

But if you're ok with your guitar plugged in (which is rather surprising! I bet your signal/noise ratio isn't probably that great at the moment :)), it will work the same way or better with the preamp pedal, and the "level" knob should bring you to line level with no problems.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby damartin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:17 pm

Yes, I was myself more than surprised when I plugged the guitar directly. the input in my computer and the sound (volume and tone - maybe a little bit dark - is unexpectedly good. It feeds nicely all the amp sims I have and the effected sound is very good. By adding the mixer the sound is improvved further (even though the mixer does not have an "instrument" input). so, yeah this audio interface is quite interesting :).
damartin
Poster

Postby damartin » Mon Sep 07, 2020 12:20 pm

...and I forgot to add. not noisy at all!!! (maybe you can feel some noise when the sound is amplified in amp sims. but really really acceptable) the clean is not noisy at all.
damartin
Poster