You are here

Keith Richards on pedals.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Keith Richards on pedals.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Sep 09, 2020 8:05 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0c8Kkg_Oi_4

:)
Yeah, I’m a keyboard player as you know, but I’m also an occasional guitarist, actually, the word "occasional" is probably a bit OTT TBQH.
You also probably know I love effects, and pedals, but only on keyboards.
There’s nothing more enjoyable for me personally than to sit down with just a really good amp, something like a Messa Booogie or a big old Fender, and just go mental trying out the controls on the amp, I never use pedals.
My favourite amps are Fenders, like a Dual Showman, I had a massive Yamaha bass amp once, that was totally mad, and amazing. My friend has an early Messa Boogie combo that’s obscenely dirty, and you can only really play it loud, he also has a Roland JC120, a bit too clean for me.
I just love freaking out with them, I can’t play guitar at all, but I love the noises I get sometimes, and they’ve come in useful for providing a central core on certain tracks I’ve done.
I’ve never been tempted to use pedals, I think it’s because of all the faffing about, I just can’t be bothered, it takes away from the immediacy of just picking up a guitar and playing, that’s what it’s all about for me, a complete contrast from the complex world of keyboards etc etc.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Keith Richards on pedals.

Postby BigRedX » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:51 am

And for me the guitar is just another sound source that requires a different playing technique to the keyboard.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:13 am

BigRedX wrote:And for me the guitar is just another sound source that requires a different playing technique to the keyboard.

I wouldn’t know about that, playing technique?

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BigRedX » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:37 pm

I have to admit very limited ability (compared with the average guitarist, bassist, and synth player) on anything, but different instruments inspire me to play/write in different ways. I'll manipulate the sound of the instrument to get the particular sound I want.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby BJG145 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:48 pm

BigRedX wrote:different instruments inspire me to play/write in different ways

Absolutely, they all encourage different tunes and chords and have their own repertoire.

Mostly at the moment I pick up a Tele and play it unplugged - I can't even be bothered to plug it in - or a Dualo with earbuds which is always lying around. There's definitely something to be said for instruments you can just grab and go.
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Alba » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:17 pm

Rarely play electric any more, sometimes when working on a tune but not for just playing. I find acoustic guitars to be a world of wonder, all the different tones and characters. I have developed a bit of an acoustic guitar collection problem. They have the amp under the strings in the form of a big box ... genius!
Alba
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:28 pm

BJG145 wrote:I can't even be bothered to plug it in

I can’t even be bothered to pick it up!

Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:47 am

Arpangel wrote:
BJG145 wrote:I can't even be bothered to plug it in

I can’t even be bothered to pick it up!

Wait - close your eyes. Don’t even look at it
:tongue:
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby CS70 » Sat Sep 12, 2020 7:59 am

Arpangel wrote:.
I’ve never been tempted to use pedals, I think it’s because of all the faffing about, I just can’t be bothered, it takes away from the immediacy of just picking up a guitar and playing, that’s what it’s all about for me, a complete contrast from the complex world of keyboards etc etc.

This kind of stuff is like talking of guitar strings gauge.. nobody really cares what others mean and do. The difference is only about whther or not you use the same kind of base sound for 15 songs in the set or not. If you do, fine. If you dont, it’s much less immediate to go faffing with the amp settings (besides looking stupid on stage) so you have pedals instead. An alternative is to use different guitar/amp settings but swapping guitar is not very immediate either... unless you have a roadie handing it tomyou and a tech preparing it.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 12, 2020 8:54 am

CS70 wrote:
Arpangel wrote:.

This kind of stuff is like talking of guitar strings gauge.. nobody really cares what others mean and do. The difference is only about whther or not you use the same kind of base sound for 15 songs in the set or not. If you do, fine. If you dont, it’s much less immediate to go faffing with the amp settings (besides looking stupid on stage) so you have pedals instead. An alternative is to use different guitar/amp settings but swapping guitar is not very immediate either... unless you have a roadie handing it tomyou and a tech preparing it.

Playing the electric guitar is like playing an electric piano, you have a lot of options open to you.
I’m a bit of a contradiction, I love loads of effects on things like synthesisers, even though inherently they are capable of a wide range of sounds anyways, so effects shouldn’t be so necessary. But when I’m playing electric piano, I hate using effects, they get in the way of expression, and restrict me too much, you can do way more with playing technique than pedals in a case like this.
I’ve tried adding effects to my acoustic piano, it really does my head in, and sounds so cliched, IMO it’s just not appropriate, unless you want to sound like Harold Budd.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby SecretSam » Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:59 am

Interesting discussion.

The electric guitar is a very different instrument to the acoustic. It requires a different right hand technique, and is set up differently. To me, part of its sound is the effect chain, but a piece written recently by Jol Danzig did resonate.

He wrote that he used to enjoy a great guitar plugged into a big amp, but the current trend is for small amps and very long FX chains. He describes it as a scale model of the experience he used to enjoy, with the guitar almost reduced to being a games controller.

When I read threads about guitarists needing two or three levels of boost to 'cut through' the band for soloing, I do wonder what cloth-eared Muppets the guy must be playing with. A decent arrangement and proper musicians create a natural space for the soloist, and the soloist should be able to fill it by playing a bit harder.

Performing in a band is about listening as well as playing. This seems to be a basic truth that is getting buried under an arms race of equipment.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:20 am

SecretSam wrote:Performing in a band is about listening as well as playing. This seems to be a basic truth that is getting buried under an arms race of equipment.

If you don’t listen, what’s the point? you may as well be a solo player.
I’ve been in one or two situations where some guys think there’re in some sort of competitive sport, in situations like this I just stop playing, get up, and go to the bar.
I nearly had a fight one night with two guys in another band on the bill, they asked me and my collaborator if we’d like to play a set with them at the end of the gig, they were a guitarist and drummer, we were guitar and keyboards, they just played as loud as they could, all the time, they just steam rolled over us, it was totally pointless.
A perfect example of not listening, not wanting to listen, it was definitely a political statement, an unwelcome and blindly stupid one
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 2:28 pm

I like both playing thru a bucketload of pedals and using the amp alone. The latter, especially with a clean amp, is a different way of doing - no endless sustain, every little action (or mistake) is perfectly audible, no hiding timing issues beyond a massive decay.. which is what makes it fun (and instructive).

What I find funny is people who seem to attach a specific value to one or the other, with often an implicit statement than plugging straight in the amp is something that make him/her a better guitarist. Which is BS. A guitarist is good if he/she had good phrasing, rhythm sense, articulation, volume control etc, not to mention the musical creativity to invent melodies on various chord progressions, usually on the spot... but the sound he/she prefers to do that, and how to get there, is nobody's business. Use 50 pedals or none - who cares? What matter's if the music is good or not.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page