You are here

Pedal of the week.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Crackhouserooster » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:07 pm

new member here. i have been a big fan of the way huge smalls series of late. first up was the supalead and then the conspiracy theory. i have had a few klones before but conspiracy theory really hits a home run. the supalead excels at marshall in a box tones but sounds a little ratty as a boost when the gain is all the way down. the conspiracy theory is more boost friendly but runs out of gain well before the supalead. both can be found used for $75-110.
Crackhouserooster

Postby Arpangel » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:50 am

garrettendi wrote:The Strymons look great and what I’ve heard said about them is bordering on the miraculous, but I’ve never spent more than £100 on a pedal (to my memory) :shocked:

I can’t praise the Big Sky enough, but I had an El Capistan and hated it, it just underwhelmed me, I sold it within weeks.
My two delays now are an EHX16 and a Boss DD7, the Boss is great, with it's 5 sec delay, the EHX is just so lush it’s unbelievable.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby al_diablo » Mon Oct 05, 2020 10:13 pm

I spent some time this evening using my MXR Super Badass distortion, Eventide Time Factor and Mod Factor to manipulate the loops I'd made on my pocket operators. I'd never used any of them on anything other than guitar, and i got some incredible noises.

Now I want the Space as well, so the boxes all match.

On guitar the pedal of the week is a TC Sub&up, it tracks really well and doesn't sound digital or unnatural at all. Great for pseudo 12 string sounds.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Oct 06, 2020 3:47 am

My pedal of the week is the Diamond Halo Chorus, tho it's downside is 15v rails so there go two of my voodoo power outs. If you don't know about Diamond pedals, it won't hurt to look 'em up. None of their distortion works for me but the compression is awesome and I like their mod/delay approach too. The Memory Lane 2 is outstanding. All generally too expensive for me.

pedal of the century is the handwired tubescreamer 808. way too expensive and worth every penny :bouncy: just sounds killer. I sold off all the other overdrives after getting this and don't miss any of them.

Very curious about the Big Sky now, my existing reverb pedal is so fake sounding, which is cool sometimes but I'd like something convincing (when it needs to be) and inspiring.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 06, 2020 8:35 am

Watchmaker wrote:
Very curious about the Big Sky now, my existing reverb pedal is so fake sounding, which is cool sometimes but I'd like something convincing (when it needs to be) and inspiring.

The BS is very good, it’s got a sound of its own though, it’s difficult to describe, but it’s very other worldly, spacey.
A big strength of the BS are it’s very controllable Freeze and Choral effects.
It’s funny, I still go to my old MidiVerb 11 for very realistic small rooms, it’s way better than we thought it was at the time, like a lot of things.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Luke W » Tue Oct 06, 2020 9:49 am

My vote for this week is a pedal I've had for about two years and it's sadly still sat in the box: Electro Harmonix SuperEgo+

Some really good features added on top of what the original did, really cool pedal if you're into "ambient" stuff. Or just pratting about making strange noises (much the same thing I suppose :) ).
Luke W
Regular
Studio - Techical Audio Services - Bespoke Construction

Postby SecretSam » Tue Oct 06, 2020 4:45 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:I was considering the Big Sky ($$$!) but I’ve recently discovered RedPanda has released a new version of their mono reverb pedal Context.
Called Context 2 it does stereo in and out now. It’s not as expensive so I will be doing the research on it. I want something to plug in at the end of my pedal chain. I have a Lexicon MPX-1 which sounds awesome but I would need a mixer with more sends to integrate it.

In the amp's FX loop ?
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Oct 06, 2020 10:14 pm

I’m one of those weirdos who don’t use an amp. Mostly I play under headphones where only I can hear my excuse for guitar playing. That being said I like what I play, I just think 90% of it is not ready for an audience unless they were under the effects of mind altering substances!
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:16 am

ManFromGlass wrote:an audience...under the effects of mind altering substances!

Plenty of those around! :wave:
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:00 am

Watchmaker wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:an audience...under the effects of mind altering substances!

Plenty of those around! :wave:

Now this is something that really gets me, if we make music that is even slightly "off centre" some people often say "what were you on when you made that?"
Nothing, nothing is the answer I give to that, why should I be off of my head to say what I think and honestly express myself with my music? It’s actually an insult, to think that I’m out of it.
Yes, drugs have inspired a lot of good music, but lot of it was crap, depends who’s taking the drugs, if you haven’t got the ideas and skills the the first place no amount of acid is going to unlock anything worthwhile. How many times have I had to sit through jams with people who endlessly "noodle" and think "it’s amazing man"
I think what you’ll find about a lot of the top names we admire, yes, they did get out of it, but when it came to the serious "business" of making music they were as aware and on the ball as anyone could be.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Watchmaker » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:33 pm

indeed, didn't mean to squish your grapes, Arpangel. As a young drummer, I was a poster boy for indulging in "experimental states of consciousness". I saw many friends suffer tremendously before I got wise and, through what I can only describe as pure luck, I escaped that period mostly unscathed.

There is however, content in the human imagination that is difficult for people to access and many great works of art are due to the use of our rather dangerous friend, the opium poppy. That's not really controvertible though how people become emotionally scarred and the techniques requisite to successfully navigate that condition certainly are. I guess the question then becomes, is the outcome worth the price? Surely a personal decision and I'm in no position to judge. Life is hard, people make mistakes, and people also take serious risks to access content that is meaningful to them. I find this both terrifying and noble but I understand heavy drug use and offer no criticism to those who have to go through it.

Now if we could only channel the long smoke with a pedal, perhaps many lost creations would come into being...just don't put a blue LED on it!

And more to your point, most people really are not tremendously discerning. People mostly want comfort and familiarity, the illusion of security and our species is extremely xenophobic. Anything even slightly out of the lowest common solution set is liable to receive a rash of ill considered abuse. It's only human. It's also the reason I don't produce for publication anymore. I can't care about that, there are more interesting things in the world than acceptance by a bunch of anonymous monkeys.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:03 pm

True that. But every now and then it’s a good feeling if someone else says ‘cool’ about something one has done.
As for substances I had a particular image in mind of an altered somebody strumming an Emin chord for half an hour thinking they found the essence of the universe. YawnOn the other side of the coin someone creates a work that touches us so deeply and is so brilliant that it begs the question if drugs were involved.
This pedal discussion is interesting because I am trying to assemble a chain that to me produces the equivalent of a sound massage. A warm glorious wash of sound that makes me not want to stop exploring because it sounds so amazing - no substances involved.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:13 am

well spake! I just fixed a Thomas organ crybaby with the TDK inductor and was pretending to be someone else much of the day. Truly fun. The pedal is still a little crunchy from disuse but the pot'll cough a hairball soon enough or it'll get a squirt of deoxit. I was just reading a forum about whether to put wah in front of or behind overdrive so now I get to explore that question in addition to whether I can drop 300 bucks on another reverb.

I'm a little bewildered by most of the boutique pedals being made in America these days though. Lots of flash but most of them are pretty unusable for me so I tend to gravitate towards the bog standard classics. There some, though, that really contribute and it's the expertise available here that makes it fun, so hat's off to all for sharing.
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 10, 2020 2:44 pm

Slight swerve off topic, but my T Rex Replay that I thought I’d destroyed by plugging it into an AC PSU has suddenly sprung back into life after two weeks of being distinctly dead!

Phew!

:thumbup:
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Oct 10, 2020 5:51 pm

Hooray - you must have resu-wrecked it! :thumbup:
Martin Walker

PreviousNext