You are here

Pedal of the week.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby blinddrew » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:01 pm

Watchmaker wrote:I used to live below a keyboardist who practiced unplugged and I could hear her through the floor. Sounded exactly like drummer going through rudiments on a practice pad. Drove me nuts but I was hardly in a position to complain!
::: looks at comment :::

::: looks at Watchmaker's profile photo :::

:D
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12021
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 20, 2020 6:39 am

ManFromGlass wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
That figures! us keyboard players have always been let down by appearances, but at least, we’re not drummers.

:D
Keep telling yourself that but - - A piano is basically a percussion instrument.
So you’re really all a bunch of wanna-be drummers without the full body commitment!
:mrgreen:
(Flame suit - ON!)

I love playing drums, you feel as though you are totally one with the kit, when the groove really happens, I’d love a kit, in fact, I may get one, as it could help me with my gloom and doom lately, plus, get me a bit healthier physically.
It’s quite strange, I can’t dance, and I’m very against rhythm in my own music, but sit me in front of a kit and it really happens, my lack of knowledge of time signatures etc doesn’t seem to matter, I’m very good at establishing a groove, even though I say so myself.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5801
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Oct 20, 2020 1:26 pm

You should get a digital kit!!
(If anyone is following the Arpangel Saga about mixers, patchbays and pedals you will get the connection :smirk: )
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: O Canada

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:57 am

ManFromGlass wrote:You should get a digital kit!!
(If anyone is following the Arpangel Saga about mixers, patchbays and pedals you will get the connection :smirk: )

Now that’s where I’m sure, have been sure, and would never ever change my view.
Electronic kit's? filth, pure filth. They take away the essence of what a drum kit is, everything that’s enjoyable, physically, and sonically is instantly taken away by electronics.
I’m not a drummer, by any means, but all of my enjoyment from playing the drums comes not only from the physical interaction, but from the fact that you can do so much that electronic kits just can’t do, and if you’re technically limited like me, an acoustic kit is essential to exploit all these little noises and subtle strokes, everything you touch on a "real" kit makes an interesting sound, just grabbing hold of a snare shell, gently ticking a cymbal with a brush, and a million other things.
OK, the dynamic range of an electronic kit, and the range of sounds you can get from it is laughable, compared to even the cheapest, most basic acoustic kit.
Just don’t even go there, electronic pianos, fine, electronic vibes, amazing, electronic anything else, but drums, no, please, just leave it out.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5801
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby ef37a » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:03 am

Arpangel wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:You should get a digital kit!!
(If anyone is following the Arpangel Saga about mixers, patchbays and pedals you will get the connection :smirk: )

Now that’s where I’m sure, have been sure, and would never ever change my view.
Electronic kit's? filth, pure filth. They take away the essence of what a drum kit is, everything that’s enjoyable, physically, and sonically is instantly taken away by electronics.
I’m not a drummer, by any means, but all of my enjoyment from playing the drums comes not only from the physical interaction, but from the fact that you can do so much that electronic kits just can’t do, and if you’re technically limited like me, an acoustic kit is essential to exploit all these little noises and subtle strokes, everything you touch on a "real" kit makes an interesting sound, just grabbing hold of a snare shell, gently ticking a cymbal with a brush, and a million other things.
OK, the dynamic range of an electronic kit, and the range of sounds you can get from it is laughable, compared to even the cheapest, most basic acoustic kit.
Just don’t even go there, electronic pianos, fine, electronic vibes, amazing, electronic anything else, but drums, no, please, just leave it out.

So, when is the electronic kit coming Arp'? "Methinks thou dost...."

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12264
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 12:00 am
Location: northampton uk

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:10 am

The Korg Wavedrum was a revelation for me. That truly is an electronic drum that behaves like an acoustic drum. Playing one for the first time was gob-smacking.

Even just gently tapping the rim of the drum, or scraping the skin, generates sound. It also reacts to skin tension and muting. If I had the space I'd still have mine here, but it had to go. The lack of MIDI was a bit of a disappointment.

I'm surprised that Korg never followed it up with an entire kit based on that technology - it would be amazing.
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15291
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:49 am

The Elf wrote:The Korg Wavedrum was a revelation for me. That truly is an electronic drum that behaves like an acoustic drum. Playing one for the first time was gob-smacking.

Even just gently tapping the rim of the drum, or scraping the skin, generates sound. It also reacts to skin tension and muting. If I had the space I'd still have mine here, but it had to go. The lack of MIDI was a bit of a disappointment.

I'm surprised that Korg never followed it up with an entire kit based on that technology - it would be amazing.

What happens when you drop your Wavedrum on the floor? or take a cymbal off and throw it across the room? or put a guitar cab under a snare? or in a bass drum, or put a contact mic on anything, or scrape a piece of rubber on the skins? do you get kicked in the guts when you hit the bass pedal really hard, do the vibrations travel up your legs and into your stomach and make you feel like you’re re part of the kit? Does the sound envelop you totally, physically and aurally? does the whole kit resonate sympathetically with all the other instruments in the room? do the individual parts of the kit affect each other physically and sonically? does your Wavedrum own a van? is it an embarrassment wherever you take it? does it always annoy people and get into fights? does it drink and eat too much and always play too loud?


:D :D :D
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5801
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby zenguitar » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:10 am

Arpangel wrote: is it an embarrassment wherever you take it? does it always annoy people and get into fights? does it drink and eat too much and always play too loud?

I think you've just sold me on a Wavedrum Tony :lol:

Andy :beamup:
User avatar
zenguitar
Moderator
Posts: 10797
Joined: Thu Dec 05, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Devon
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby The Elf » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:22 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:The Korg Wavedrum was a revelation for me. That truly is an electronic drum that behaves like an acoustic drum. Playing one for the first time was gob-smacking.

Even just gently tapping the rim of the drum, or scraping the skin, generates sound. It also reacts to skin tension and muting. If I had the space I'd still have mine here, but it had to go. The lack of MIDI was a bit of a disappointment.

I'm surprised that Korg never followed it up with an entire kit based on that technology - it would be amazing.
What happens when you drop your Wavedrum on the floor? or take a cymbal off and throw it across the room? or put a guitar cab under a snare? or in a bass drum, or put a contact mic on anything, or scrape a piece of rubber on the skins? do you get kicked in the guts when you hit the bass pedal really hard, do the vibrations travel up your legs and into your stomach and make you feel like you’re re part of the kit? Does the sound envelop you totally, physically and aurally? does the whole kit resonate sympathetically with all the other instruments in the room? do the individual parts of the kit affect each other physically and sonically?
'Yes' to all the yes/no questions. We even used to place a speaker over it and record the resonance. And roll/bounce marbles on the skin. And use pencil rubbers! It's just one drum - not a kit. From your reaction I believe you're probably thinking of electronic drum kits.

https://youtu.be/lQ3aulqUSKc

And yes, it makes a sound when you drop it or drop something on it - trust, me I know this one! I used to have my WD on the gut-kicking 'Viking War Drum' a lot of the time - I soon learned to be careful when I moved the thing!

Arpangel wrote:does your Wavedrum own a van? is it an embarrassment wherever you take it? does it always annoy people and get into fights? does it drink and eat too much and always play too loud?
I've never met a snare drum that owns a van, but the guy playing it fits the description! :lol:
User avatar
The Elf
Jedi Poster
Posts: 15291
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2001 12:00 am
Location: Sheffield, UK
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby blinddrew » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:28 am

Arpangel wrote:What happens when you drop your Wavedrum on the floor? or take a cymbal off and throw it across the room? or put a guitar cab under a snare? or in a bass drum, or put a contact mic on anything, or scrape a piece of rubber on the skins? do you get kicked in the guts when you hit the bass pedal really hard
I think it's the drummer who kicks you in the guts when you try and do that to his kit...

But also, you're not really talking about a drumkit at this point, you're talking about an experimental sound machine. And you can use anything (probably cheaper things) for that. ;)
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 12021
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:56 pm

blinddrew wrote:
Arpangel wrote:What happens when you drop your Wavedrum on the floor? or take a cymbal off and throw it across the room? or put a guitar cab under a snare? or in a bass drum, or put a contact mic on anything, or scrape a piece of rubber on the skins? do you get kicked in the guts when you hit the bass pedal really hard
I think it's the drummer who kicks you in the guts when you try and do that to his kit...

But also, you're not really talking about a drumkit at this point, you're talking about an experimental sound machine. And you can use anything (probably cheaper things) for that. ;)

I tend to play trad grooves, Funk, basic Rock, this is in no way used in my own music, it’s just for recreation, I like it, because I just don’t care, it still has to be a real kit though.
This is the secret rock Arpangel trying to get out.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5801
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby CS70 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:47 pm

The funniest thing with electronic drum kits has nothing to do with the drum sound they make or how they play... my drummer has a top of the line kit, costs half a house, mesh sensitivity and bounce is off the scale, more trigger points on the cymbals than pimples on a teenager... basically, there's nothing sound-wise that you can't do on it with respect to a traditional kit (besides, perhaps taking off the snare coil).

Also, he's an old school drummer who's been playing literally for 50 years and his regular kit is a 1970s Ludwig that he bought new when he was touring. He's also a little conservative as well when it comes to gizmos.. So if he says it's good, I have no reason to doubt it.

However.

We have occasionally used it live, for practical purposes (a little less cumbersome than bringing his main kit,, and he also has an humungous gazillion-watts PA with a subwoofer the size of a fridge). What is disconcerting is the _total lack of sound onstage_.

I remember starting the gig and going about playing and singing - the drummer is usually behind me - and being seriously annoyed by this strange "tic-tic-tic" sound... which of course was him using the electronic kit cymbals! I had him low in my monitor so his "acoustic" plastic sound was louder than the monitor :D
User avatar
CS70
Jedi Poster
Posts: 6477
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:00 am
Location: Oslo, Norway
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:59 pm

CS70 wrote:The funniest thing with electronic drum kits has nothing to do with the drum sound they make or how they play... my drummer has a top of the line kit, costs half a house, mesh sensitivity and bounce is off the scale, more trigger points on the cymbals than pimples on a teenager... basically, there's nothing sound-wise that you can't do on it with respect to a traditional kit (besides, perhaps taking off the snare coil).

Also, he's an old school drummer who's been playing literally for 50 years and his regular kit is a 1970s Ludwig that he bought new when he was touring. He's also a little conservative as well when it comes to gizmos.. So if he says it's good, I have no reason to doubt it.

However.

We have occasionally used it live, for practical purposes (a little less cumbersome than bringing his main kit,, and he also has an humungous gazillion-watts PA with a subwoofer the size of a fridge). What is disconcerting is the _total lack of sound onstage_.

I remember starting the gig and going about playing and singing - the drummer is usually behind me - and being seriously annoyed by this strange "tic-tic-tic" sound... which of course was him using the electronic kit cymbals! I had him low in my monitor so his "acoustic" plastic sound was louder than the monitor :D

That's funny, I’d never thought of that!
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5801
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby ManFromGlass » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:12 pm

I bought a used digital kit. I figured I could have some fun at home and keep up some minimal chops. The Missus can’t stand the ticky ticky sound, so I can’t go in and wail away whenever the mood strikes.
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3608
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: O Canada

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:26 pm

Also, a real kit is truly a thing of beauty, in its own right, and soooo cool.
A friend of mine practices on his electronic kit with pads he bought to stick on them, it really cuts the noise down.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5801
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

PreviousNext