You are here

Pedal of the week.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Sat Oct 10, 2020 7:57 pm

Watchmaker wrote:indeed, didn't mean to squish your grapes, Arpangel. As a young drummer, I was a poster boy for indulging in "experimental states of consciousness". I saw many friends suffer tremendously before I got wise and, through what I can only describe as pure luck, I escaped that period mostly unscathed.

There is however, content in the human imagination that is difficult for people to access and many great works of art are due to the use of our rather dangerous friend, the opium poppy. That's not really controvertible though how people become emotionally scarred and the techniques requisite to successfully navigate that condition certainly are. I guess the question then becomes, is the outcome worth the price? Surely a personal decision and I'm in no position to judge. Life is hard, people make mistakes, and people also take serious risks to access content that is meaningful to them. I find this both terrifying and noble but I understand heavy drug use and offer no criticism to those who have to go through it.

Now if we could only channel the long smoke with a pedal, perhaps many lost creations would come into being...just don't put a blue LED on it!

And more to your point, most people really are not tremendously discerning. People mostly want comfort and familiarity, the illusion of security and our species is extremely xenophobic. Anything even slightly out of the lowest common solution set is liable to receive a rash of ill considered abuse. It's only human. It's also the reason I don't produce for publication anymore. I can't care about that, there are more interesting things in the world than acceptance by a bunch of anonymous monkeys.

Don’t worry, no grapes were squished in the making of this thread... :)
This whole subject is interesting, I’m going to be honest, I’ve never taken acid, but the fascination will always be there, and I’m a bit sad about dying and not finding out.
A lot of friends have taken it, one in particular went on to write some great music, and became a member of a very famous Punk band, another friend took it and had a really bad trip, and it made him very disturbed for the rest of his life until he died.
I suppose that’s why I’m scared to take it, but the mystery will always tempt me.
Also I’m not into comfort and familiarity, I'm always up for experimentation, I suppose that’s always been my downfall, but I don’t want LSD to be my "Moriarty"
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby ManFromGlass » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:17 pm

Ive been curious about that drink those modern painters were famous for drinking - green and mind altering. Brain not working this morning - not anise but something like that. They poured it through a sugar cube or somesuch . I’ve heard that it is making a comeback in it’s original mind altering form.
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3444
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In Canada, eh?

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:28 pm

The word you are searching for is Absinthe

And notorious it is (says Yoda)


Martin
User avatar
Martin Walker
Moderator
Posts: 16404
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:44 am
Location: Cornwall, UK

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Sun Oct 11, 2020 3:23 pm

Martin Walker wrote:The word you are searching for is Absinthe

And notorious it is (says Yoda)


Martin

Yes, I had some in a bar, it was OK, OK enough for me to leap up and play the bar piano!
But I don’t think they’re allowed to sell the stuff like it used to be, it’s about as potent as Pernod or Ricard, nothing outrageous.
But you still may be able to get the right stuff in certain places, like you can get illegal spirits all over if you try.
Illegal spirits???? I feel an album coming on...... :D

:beamup:
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby awjoe » Sun Oct 11, 2020 4:22 pm

Arpangel wrote:This whole subject is interesting, I’m going to be honest, I’ve never taken acid, but the fascination will always be there, and I’m a bit sad about dying and not finding out.
A lot of friends have taken it, one in particular went on to write some great music, and became a member of a very famous Punk band, another friend took it and had a really bad trip, and it made him very disturbed for the rest of his life until he died.
I suppose that’s why I’m scared to take it, but the mystery will always tempt me.

This isn't pedal talk, but it's important, I think. I have a buddy, she's 75, and back in the day she took acid under supervision (Stan Grof, I believe). The motivation was inner exploration, not recreational. Not a particularly pleasant experience in her case, but profound and insightful. She says, under similar circumstances, she'd do it again in a heartbeat. So there's a place for that substance, for sure. It's all about the motivation. And support.
User avatar
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2532
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Watchmaker » Mon Oct 12, 2020 1:51 am

support is key. it is best to have a guide when entering unfamiliar territory. I can't think of any naturally occurring psychedelic that doesn't require an initiation and have a robust mythology around whom you might meet in that realm.

Acid, being created in a lab by people with a professed skepticism for the spiritual, lacked qualified guides. Several notable personalities explored that territory and came back with wild tales of adventure though many got lost and never found the way back. When I was far too young to dabble in such things, I did not have a guide for LSD, but I did for peyote so I had a leg up on that type of experience. (too much information?)

Many type of substances, many types of experiences. Not all are drugs, not all are harmful, though as in all things, individuals will have their own relationships and none can foretell who will have a bummer and who an epiphany. It is always best to approach with curiosity, good nature and support. Horrible to approach from negative emotional space, like anger, or dejection. Interestingly, a review of research done in the 60's and 70's indicates LSD may help alcoholics keep the bottle corked for a spell.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK99377/

I was never any good at bringing the experience back in a way people could relate to and eventually got bored with the experience. My motto these days is "craft the buzz." I can make a pint last three hours.
User avatar
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby SecretSam » Mon Oct 12, 2020 7:51 am

For what it's worth: mushrooms have a very similar effect to LSD, but last three to four hours instead of ten to twelve. So if it all goes wrong (which it usually doesn't) you don't have to wait a long time for normality to return.

In extremis, you can switch off an acid trip by eating a small handful of vitamin b complex but that is a terrible waste of money.

It's an interesting experience, but whether you would make any music that would make any sense to anyone else afterwards ... not very likely, but I suppose it could happen.

Err ..... I know this because a friend told me.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Officially, I do not exist.
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:02 am

Watchmaker wrote:support is key. it is best to have a guide when entering unfamiliar territory. I can't think of any naturally occurring psychedelic that doesn't require an initiation and have a robust mythology around whom you might meet in that realm.

Acid, being created in a lab by people with a professed skepticism for the spiritual, lacked qualified guides. Several notable personalities explored that territory and came back with wild tales of adventure though many got lost and never found the way back. When I was far too young to dabble in such things, I did not have a guide for LSD, but I did for peyote so I had a leg up on that type of experience. (too much information?)

Many type of substances, many types of experiences. Not all are drugs, not all are harmful, though as in all things, individuals will have their own relationships and none can foretell who will have a bummer and who an epiphany. It is always best to approach with curiosity, good nature and support. Horrible to approach from negative emotional space, like anger, or dejection. Interestingly, a review of research done in the 60's and 70's indicates LSD may help alcoholics keep the bottle corked for a spell.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK99377/

I was never any good at bringing the experience back in a way people could relate to and eventually got bored with the experience. My motto these days is "craft the buzz." I can make a pint last three hours.

All taken on board, and it’s also what a lot of friends have explained to me, regarding support.
This is a very serious subject, and what you say about "not coming back" worries me, as I’ve witnessed that in a couple of people I’ve known, they’ve never really returned to being "themselves" in fact, it’s made them dysfunctional in quite serious ways.
But the words normal, and dysfunctional are up to individual interpretation :)
But this is something I can’t ignore, it’s important, and deserves exploration, I’m not a young person, I don’t know how long I’ve got left on this space ship, and I’ve always liked to explore as much of life as I can during my time as a human being.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Oct 12, 2020 2:05 pm

Are you planning on returning as something else?
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 3444
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: In Canada, eh?

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:16 am

I always wanted to come back as a spaceship myself. One with a really cool reverb in the hanger deck.
User avatar
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby awjoe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:21 am

User avatar
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2532
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Watchmaker » Tue Oct 13, 2020 3:32 am

:clap:

I can't go $499 for a Strymon. too rich for my blood. Gonna have to brave the cooties and visit the local music shop to check out the MXR's M300 Digital Reverb. The Dunlop demo's not bad.

https://youtu.be/LAeWwMC2EaI
User avatar
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby awjoe » Tue Oct 13, 2020 5:19 am

Yeah, but it only sounds that good if you look slightly dissolute and play in awesome spaces with the pedal on a table in front of you.
User avatar
awjoe
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Posts: 2532
Joined: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:00 am
Music production is like finding a good hair dresser

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Oct 13, 2020 9:56 am

Watchmaker wrote::clap:

I can't go $499 for a Strymon. too rich for my blood. Gonna have to brave the cooties and visit the local music shop to check out the MXR's M300 Digital Reverb. The Dunlop demo's not bad.

https://youtu.be/LAeWwMC2EaI

You could always try the Neunaber "Immerse" very lush, and cheaper than the Strymon, different though.
But, TBQH, if budget is an issue, the Zoom MS-CDR70 is totally amazing for reverbs, and a lot more. I’ve made sounds for it that you’d think were from a top end rack unit, simply because it has the ability to chain effects, until you run out of processing power, it has a really high quality reverb algorithm that if you put two together you end up with some very lush verbs, add an EQ to that and you can get any character you like, Lexicon-a-go-go!
Another pedal you may want to check out is the Digitech Polaris, also cheap and very, very good.
Also, check this guy out, he’s really informative, good demo's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKFy6pQFmU0
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 5333
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Pedal of the week.

Postby Watchmaker » Thu Oct 15, 2020 2:49 am

The zoom looks tres cool, I'll explore that in more detail, thanks! A a bit dodgy on the Neunaber, I have bad luck with boutique pedals - not that that stops me from buying them. They just wind up on the island of misfit stomp boxes.

I don't mind spending up to $175 for a kick ass pedal. More than that and I feel abused though some pedals are worth it. Still eyeballing the Strymon blue sky but at $300, that's topping out for me. I just bought the MXR M-300, a EHX tone corset, and an MXR 6 ch EQ so that'll hopeful quell the demons for a spell.
User avatar
Watchmaker
Frequent Poster
Posts: 848
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:00 am
Location: Upstate NY, USA
Take my advice, I'm not using it.

PreviousNext