You are here

Good small multi FX with headphone out?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Good small multi FX with headphone out?

Postby Arpangel » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:38 am

Can be pedal based or desk top, as long as it’s small, I’ve been looking at the Line 6 stuff, but it needs to have a good range of sounds, for keyboards and guitar, I’m trying to cut down the size of my back pack, be good to just pack a multi FX, and do away with my mixer.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Re: Good small multi FX with headphone out?

Postby blinddrew » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:36 pm

Mooer GE100?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Hewesy » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:20 pm

I'd probably have said the Line 6 HX stomp, has enough amp sims to keep you happy for both - presuming you want something like that for the keys?

Or what about just having an A/B box instead of the mixer if that's the concern, or a dual DI box with switchable amp/cab sim for the guitar side?

Is this for gigs, jamming, both?

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:29 pm

My new Headrush Gigboard has a nicely 'stomp box' like operating paradigm with it's touch screen. It's not especially small or light though (built like a concrete kahzi springs to mind).
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby CS70 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 8:51 pm

Arpangel wrote:Can be pedal based or desk top, as long as it’s small, I’ve been looking at the Line 6 stuff, but it needs to have a good range of sounds, for keyboards and guitar, I’m trying to cut down the size of my back pack, be good to just pack a multi FX, and do away with my mixer.

Look again! The Helix stuff is incredible. And so are the other top dogs, honestly. And the smaller dogs are very usable either.

I start seeing using my amps and old fashioned pedalboard as a competitive disadvantage, I gotta work hard to make 'em sound good, people with the Helixes/Headrushes/Atomics/Axes must work harder if they want to make 'em sound bad!

But a word of warning: the reason I got back to using my tube amps and pedalboard is because of the experience - I like to tweak the knobs and see the pedal colors and shapes and the click of the mechanical on/off switches etc.. so beware of what you are really wanting. But for live gigs of any relevance, I'd definitely gone once again digital.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby The Elf » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:16 pm

Anything Helix-based (costly option), or Digitech RP-500 (S/H budget option) would do the job.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby DC-Choppah » Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:36 pm

The Elf turned me on to the Digitech stuff. I have the RP55 I got for like $25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpcItkQITx8

I use it as the amp simulator and it sounds great. Multi-effects are very musical.

Headphone output? Mine doesn't. But other (higher number) model versions have it like the RP 360.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:00 am

I'd avoid the Mooer GE100 if you're using the headphone out. Sounds good for the money through an amp & the format is great but no cab simulation so pretty dreadful used direct. I gave mine away.

For Helix quality at sensible money I'd recommend the Line 6 Pod Go. Great sounds (albeit not the presets), output/loops can be switched globally for before/after/with/without Amp & cab simulation, easy to navigate with or without software integration, smaller than the full fat Helix models & light. More amp/effects emulations available than you can get your head around. Some predicatable but some pretty off the wall ones too. Hx Stomp is smaller & has midi but is less immediate to program & use live.

Only reservations I've had are no battery power option (& the mains lead isn't very long) & the stupid right angle mains jack that gets in the way of the on/off switch. You can load IR's just like a real Helix but it can't run discrete dual amps as it has less processing power.

Helix are currently running a 15 day trial of the new Helix Native VST plug-in so you can see if the sounds/effects before you buy. https://line6.com/helix/helixnative.html
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

Postby Arpangel » Sat Sep 19, 2020 8:15 am

Thanks everyone, I need this for keys more than guitar, so it has to have a good selection of reverbs and delays, I’m not after top notch, as long as they are usable. the Line 6 Go is going to be too large, it’s bigger than my little mixer.
All I want this for is when I go away and just want to do a bit of sound programming, or play guitar, no gigs etc.
I was thinking of the Pocket Pod, not sure about the quality, it has a headphone jack, but not sure if it’s stereo?
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:03 am

Ah, sorry, thought i'd read that the Moerr had cab simulation. My bad.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby CS70 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:10 am

Arpangel wrote:Thanks everyone, I need this for keys more than guitar, so it has to have a good selection of reverbs and delays, I’m not after top notch, as long as they are usable. the Line 6 Go is going to be too large, it’s bigger than my little mixer.
All I want this for is when I go away and just want to do a bit of sound programming, or play guitar, no gigs etc.
I was thinking of the Pocket Pod, not sure about the quality, it has a headphone jack, but not sure if it’s stereo?

Since I just did some research for myself (the idea is to replace the pedalboard and keep using the tube amps)... check out the Helix Effects - it's got no amp/cab emulation (which I don't need with an actual amp, and you won't need with a keyboard) but all the amazing effects of the full board, a good bunch of switches like an analogue pedalboard and it's fairly small. I'm actually gonna grab one this week.

The Pocket POD in 2020 is a recipe for disaster.. unless of course you love crappy effects.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:58 am

CS70 wrote:I start seeing using my amps and old fashioned pedalboard as a competitive disadvantage, I gotta work hard to make 'em sound good, people with the Helixes/Headrushes/Atomics/Axes must work harder if they want to make 'em sound bad!

I think it's very easy to make a Helix sound bad, I've heard a few people using them manage it. Great bits of kit but they definitely repay time spent tweaking.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Arpangel » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:20 am

I’m beginning to think that I’m approaching this issue from the wrong angle, there aren’t any effects pedals that really grab me for what I want to do.
When I go away I have a back pack that’s bursting with stuff, my Micro Freak, an FX pedal/unit of some sort, a mixer, a handy recorder, PSU, leads etc, that’s excluding the guitar if I take it.
If I just get another FX pedal board I’m just adding to what’s already there, and, I’ll probably not need such a comprehensive unit.
What would actually enable me to take less, would be something like a PreSonus StudioLive AR8c mixer, that combines recording, FX, headphone amp, and just enough channels to take all I need, so I’ll only have to take two things, the mixer, and keyboard or guitar.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:55 am

Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:59 am

Dynamic Mike wrote:https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/zoom-r8

Yes, similar thing, also I’ve just noticed the Boss BR8, not sure about the quality of the FX though, and it seems geared up mainly for guitarists.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Next