You are here

Good small multi FX with headphone out?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Good small multi FX with headphone out?

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:50 am

Sam Spoons wrote:
CS70 wrote:I start seeing using my amps and old fashioned pedalboard as a competitive disadvantage, I gotta work hard to make 'em sound good, people with the Helixes/Headrushes/Atomics/Axes must work harder if they want to make 'em sound bad!

I think it's very easy to make a Helix sound bad, I've heard a few people using them manage it. Great bits of kit but they definitely repay time spent tweaking.

I guess :) The one thing of a regular board is that your carefully tested gain staging (so that each pedal stays at the right level when engaged) can go down the drain in a second without you realizing, especially with these chicken-knob pedals which turn very easily. Give me boss-style knobs with good resistance any time of the day!
Also, of course, the player must have even a notion of gain staging pedals (and so many seem to like to have half a dozen distortion pedals on the board, each with wildly different levels :) ). Not to mention the noise and periodic de-oxidation... As of the Helix, I tried a few presets and actually liked them out of the box, but ymmv of course.

I've just got a Headrush Gigboard on loan from a friend a couple days ago and gonna put it thru its pace.. I'm looking for ways to replace my pedalboard with something that does not need periodic deoxidation :D

Still not sure though if I will exchange the pedalboard with a digital multiFX. A bit it's a matter of flexibility and the wonder of discovering a new pedal, a bit is that no digital FX seems to have something like the microPOG! That pedal has been on my board for some 7 years and I never used it to make an actual song, but it's a killer for power jamming... the times I tried pedal FX in rehearsal I sorely missed it. And since I like to use the same setup in reharsal and live, it gets annoying not to have it during the warm-up jam!
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:07 am

CS70 wrote:
Sam Spoons wrote:
CS70 wrote:I start seeing using my amps and old fashioned pedalboard as a competitive disadvantage, I gotta work hard to make 'em sound good, people with the Helixes/Headrushes/Atomics/Axes must work harder if they want to make 'em sound bad!

I think it's very easy to make a Helix sound bad, I've heard a few people using them manage it. Great bits of kit but they definitely repay time spent tweaking.

I guess :) The one thing of a regular board is that your carefully tested gain staging (so that each pedal stays at the right level when engaged) can go down the drain in a second without you realizing, especially with these chicken-knob pedals which turn very easily. Give me boss-style knobs with good resistance any time of the day!

I worked a couple of gigs with a mates band, and mine combined. The other guitarist had a Helix (the full on mega bucks Floor version) and a couple of Yamaha DXR8s, I took my 18 watt combo and a tube screamer to the rehearsals. His rig sounded flat and lifeless compared to mine, wouldn't have swapped it for the proverbial gold clock. The nice thing about pedals is you can twist a knob and hear the change it makes and setting up a pedalboard is usually an additive process. With a multi fx most people start with a preset and modify it but getting anything useful done requires a fair bit of 'menu diving'. My approach with the Headrush has been to start with a new, unpopulated, 'rig' and build up from there (remembering to disable all the global sh1t like the super aggressive gate at the same time :blush: ). This works pretty well with the Gigboard and I can treat it like a 'real' pedalboard with it's touch screen and virtual pedals. The only criticism is that the range of pedals is surprisingly limited.

I agree about chicken head knobs and floppy pots though :D
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:28 am

...and equally, a few years back I played a gig with two guitarists, one with a huge swathe of pedals (decent ones too!) and a mighty amp of some sort, and the other with a Helix DI-ed into the PA. The pedalboard sounded flat as a pancake compared to the Helix - it's all about how you use this kit, not the kit itself!

Between soundchecks I made sure to interrogate the guitarist in question about how he was getting his sound. A few people were asking similar questions that day.

It was here where I decided my keyboard rig could do with a Helix - and I never looked back...
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:39 am

The Elf wrote:...and equally, a few years back I played a gig with two guitarists, one with a huge swathe of pedals (decent ones too!) and a mighty amp of some sort, and the other with a Helix DI-ed into the PA. The pedalboard sounded flat as a pancake compared to the Helix - it's all about how you use this kit, not the kit itself!

Yup, absolutely. The problem with the helix and it's ilk is that you do need to delve into the menus to get a good sound. And WRT the guy with the pedalboard, it's not difficult to make good kit sound bad.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby The Elf » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:30 pm

This guy is happy connecting his 80 quid pedal to his headphones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZicAuJYlEhU

Not sure why he feels he needs to go RCA to jack, but we can forgive him that.

I had the MS-50G, which was very good. I later swapped for the MS-70CDR, which gave me stereo inputs. The cost of this was losing the amp/distortion models, which didn't bother me greatly...

But...

A firmware 'hack' has appeared that lets you pick and choose models from both pedals (and others besides) and load them into either (or other) pedal. O... M... G... :ooo: :clap:

I'm not saying it's legal, and I'm not saying I would do it, and I'm not suggesting anyone else should do it. Nor am I saying where to find this hack. :shh:

But it works... I'm told. :tongue: ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:49 am

The Elf wrote:This guy is happy connecting his 80 quid pedal to his headphones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZicAuJYlEhU

Not sure why he feels he needs to go RCA to jack, but we can forgive him that.

I had the MS-50G, which was very good. I later swapped for the MS-70CDR, which gave me stereo inputs. The cost of this was losing the amp/distortion models, which didn't bother me greatly...

But...

A firmware 'hack' has appeared that lets you pick and choose models from both pedals (and others besides) and load them into either (or other) pedal. O... M... G... :ooo: :clap:

I'm not saying it's legal, and I'm not saying I would do it, and I'm not suggesting anyone else should do it. Nor am I saying where to find this hack. :shh:

But it works... I'm told. :tongue: ;)

Elf, you are a God, and my friend forever!
I never watched that video before, I have a CDR70, I didn’t realise the outputs would drive phones.
Problem solved! (Cue brass fanfare, or possibly Hydrasynth "happy ending" pad)

:D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby James Perrett » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:27 pm

Arpangel wrote:I never watched that video before, I have a CDR70, I didn’t realise the outputs would drive phones.

Certainly the outputs from other Zoom pedals are intended to drive headphones as well as line inputs but the specs for the CDR70 mentions that it will only deliver its full level into impedances of 10kohms or more. If you have a pair of high impedance headphones (especially the older 600 ohm Sennheisers) you'll often find that they can be driven by a standard line output but I'm not sure I'd like to try that headphone trick with low impedance headphones.
James Perrett
JRP Music - Audio Mastering and Restoration. JRP Music Facebook Page

Previous