You are here

NEWBIE: Does it matter if the cab comes from a Digital Series?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

NEWBIE: Does it matter if the cab comes from a Digital Series?

Postby seriousnewbie » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:01 pm

Hi guys, I am looking at getting the Marshall DSL100HR. Obviously, I need a cab. My budget is about $250-300. I have been looking at either the Marshall Code or MG series cabs. The problem is that with both of those series the original amp is digital (solid state). Does that mean that I shouldn't get the cab? If so, can someone point me to a cab series that will sound good with this amp? I play pop, country, hard rock, and everything in between.

P.S. if we are being honest, looks do matter...
seriousnewbie
Poster

Re: NEWBIE: Does it matter if the cab comes from a Digital Series?

Postby Sam Spoons » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:33 pm

The DSL100HR has outputs for 4, 8 and 16 ohm loads so, as long as you are careful, you can use more or less any suitably powerful cabinet with it. Typically we'd suggest something rated at 200 watts for a 100 watt valve guitar amp. Guitar speakers are not fussed whether the amp driving them is solid state or valve.

However, IIRC you are wanting to use this for 'solo gigs and recording'? In that other fairly long thread several people suggested that it was far bigger than you needed. It's great for keeping up with a loud drummer in a pub where the guitar amp is not miked up but outside that small selection of gigs it's way more powerful than you need.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........