You are here

Wah before or after distortion?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: Wah before or after distortion?

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:48 am

First thing in my pedalboard, right after the tuner.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:52 am

ore_terra wrote:After!

Yes, me too, the distorted sound has richer harmonics for the wah to work on, but it’s crazy, you could try having two distortion pedals on different settings, one before, and one after the wah, also, reverb before distortion is very cool, especially with very long reverb times, the onset decays into a lovely slow break-up with less and less drive as it decays.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ore_terra » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:01 am

Well, my amps are always all cranked up. Therefore I should have replied “after, but before” :mrgreen:

Arpangel, reverbs and delays I prefer them in the input rather than fx loops. It’s a sort of similar recurrent debate
ore_terra
Frequent Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:44 am

ore_terra wrote:Arpangel, reverbs and delays I prefer them in the input rather than fx loops. It’s a sort of similar recurrent debate

I do sometimes, depends, just a hint of verb using a mixer aux is lovely on a few things, but I think effects "respond" better when plugged direct into the outputs if my instruments, you can really "play" them, that’s not the same at all using an FX loop.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Sep 28, 2020 1:47 pm

Arpangel wrote:
you could try having two distortion pedals on different settings, one before, and one after the wah,

Having 2 distortion pedals in my chain I will try putting the wah between them - brilliant!
:P
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:05 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
you could try having two distortion pedals on different settings, one before, and one after the wah,

Having 2 distortion pedals in my chain I will try putting the wah between them - brilliant!
:P

If you get the chance, check out a Yamaha EMP100, this could kick off the "Most Underrated FX" thread!
A friend bought one because it was all he could afford, and it proceeded to blow his mind.
It was cheap, but it had the ability to have effects in really weird combinations, like pitch shifted reverb, or two reverbs in a row, pretty rad at the time.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby BJG145 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:13 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:Having 2 distortion pedals in my chain I will try putting the wah between them - brilliant!

No, weren't you paying attention...? You need two wah pedals, with a distortion in between...
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:25 pm

BJG145 wrote:
ManFromGlass wrote:Having 2 distortion pedals in my chain I will try putting the wah between them - brilliant!

No, weren't you paying attention...? You need two wah pedals, with a distortion in between...

No no, you need two wah's, and two distortions, a delay, a reverb, one chorus, a ring modu...la.......t......or................ :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:31 pm

I've been slightly amazed throughout this thread that anyone still uses wah pedals?
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby BJG145 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:38 pm

blinddrew wrote:I've been slightly amazed throughout this thread that anyone still uses wah pedals?

*group politely ignores this remark*
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby ManFromGlass » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:07 pm

blinddrew wrote:I've been slightly amazed throughout this thread that anyone still uses wah pedals?
I don’t know about the others but it’s a foot operated filter tone chooser for me! I also have one I installed inside my frankenelectric. It was built and sold by Tone X many years ago. Before you ask “how does he get his foot onto his guitar to work it?” :smirk: It’s a battery powered retrofit that has a small knob that is easily turned by a finger. A pull turns it on.
Flash I just realized - I can do a double wah - whoa!!!!! runs off in his underwear, mumbling and laughing to self like a mad woodchuck who has just had a triple espresso
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:38 pm

ManFromGlass wrote:
I don’t know about the others but it’s a foot operated filter tone chooser for me!
To be fair that's the only think I ever used mine for before it broke.
On one song.
#notmybestbuy
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby CS70 » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Only for jamming.. if you ever try to use them in an actual song you immediately sound like Kirk Hammet :D
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby blinddrew » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:07 pm

CS70 wrote:

Only for jamming.. if you ever try to use them in an actual song you immediately sound like a bad version of Kirk Hammet :D
Fixed for my level of guitaring...
blinddrew
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:26 pm

Given that my electric band play some Cream stuff the wah does earn it's keep on the pedalboard.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

PreviousNext