You are here

Tokyo Dreamland: Modelling the modelling

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Tokyo Dreamland: Modelling the modelling

Postby Dynamic Mike » Wed Oct 14, 2020 12:37 am

Tokyo Dreamland has become my 'go to' Boss Multifx clean setting for practicing & general noodling. I tried to create something similar from scratch on my Line 6 Pod Go but there were too many options & it just wasn't happening. So today I tried copying all the settings from the Boss preset into the Pod Go. I thought if nothing else it would be interesting to see how close they were.

The Amp preset is a JC120 (didn't specify a cab so used the JC120 cab too) so quite easy to set up on the Pod Go. For the compresser, EQ, Chorus & Delay I used emulations of Boss effects where available with the same settings as the Boss. The reverb was a plate & there's only one plate in the Pod Go so I went with that.

So was it similar? Tonally it was in the same ballpark if I backed off the volume a touch, but the effects didn't seem to blend as well. It sounded more organic but harsh in comparison. I thought some minor effects tweaks might help, but everything I did seemed to take me further away from the original. It struck me that maybe the difference was down to the gain structure? I'll look to see if that helps when I get chance.

One more thing to try (but it's only struck me whilst posting this) is that I always use HD25's for the Boss & K702's for the Pod Go. I'll swap them over and see if that has any effect.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?

Re: Tokyo Dreamland: Modelling the modelling

Postby SecretSam » Wed Oct 14, 2020 8:53 am

Very good experiment.

Those are quite different headphones, so you may well have found the main cause of the difference between the two rigs. Looking forward to finding out what happens next.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Postby BigRedX » Wed Oct 14, 2020 11:04 am

The JC120 sims on the Helix are great. I tend to use them for Bass VI as well as guitar when I don't want too much distortion.
BigRedX
Frequent Poster
RockinRollin' VampireMan

Postby Dynamic Mike » Sat Oct 17, 2020 1:12 am

SecretSam wrote:Very good experiment.

Those are quite different headphones, so you may well have found the main cause of the difference between the two rigs. Looking forward to finding out what happens next.

Minor update. Didn't have much free time but tried the HD25's with Pod Go today. It sounded different, but I'm not sure whether it's the different voicings of the headphones, or simply that they block out the actual sound of the guitar (it's a pretty loud semi-acoustic) much better.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Is it too late to cancel cancel culture?