You are here

Seeking advice on acoustic guitar recording

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Seeking advice on acoustic guitar recording

Postby josiewales » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:17 pm

Hi. As a project I have been trying to reverse engineer the style and sound of the guitar chop used in the following track:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV-ugdRCulY

I used a small diaphragm Rode condenser mic angled towards the 14th fret on a Takamine P1NC. I am using Reason as my DAW application.
I've taken off the low end and given it a boost at 15k.
I isolated the eq to drop the gain on string some squeaks and harmonics.

I'm still not satisfied with my result which you can hear here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rMdyou ... sp=sharing

Is compression being used to make the original guitar sound 'tighter' ?
Is there less high EQ on the original guitar track than on my own?
josiewales

Re: Seeking advice on acoustic guitar recording

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:18 pm

The way you play is most of it I think - you play way more on the high strings than the reference.
And the way you placed the mic - you're emphasizing the pick sound so it's probably near and pointing to the high strings.

A little bit could be the guitar, but not really... any decent guitar can be made to sound like the reference (with the humungous amount of reverb and delays :-) )

Reverb and delay you got in the right ballpark I'd say. I suppose there's a natural reverb in the reference (it sounds a little phasing) but hard to say, in the end interference is interference and doesn't matter where it comes from.

Try to make the "whack" of the strumming sound like the reference first. That's what you're missing most. Then place the mic to capture it without over-emphasizing the highs. Then add reverbs. The delay timing can be set to "mellow" the sound further, possibly using two delays - one for the guitar sound, one as effect.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby josiewales » Mon Oct 19, 2020 5:33 pm

Many thanks.
Will take your advice on board.

Can you expand on the following:
".... possibly using two delays - one for the guitar sound, one as effect."

Do you mean having the delay on an aux channel applied to the guitar track and then duplicate that guitar track (minus the aux delay) but putting a different delay on it and only having the wet sound come through ?
josiewales

Postby shufflebeat » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:33 pm

That sounds (to me) like a shallow body acoustic with the mic (might be only one) pointing at the body behind the bridge. Sounds like it's been recorded twice and panned hard L/R.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby CS70 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:48 pm

josiewales wrote:Many thanks.
Will take your advice on board.

Can you expand on the following:
".... possibly using two delays - one for the guitar sound, one as effect."

Do you mean having the delay on an aux channel applied to the guitar track and then duplicate that guitar track (minus the aux delay) but putting a different delay on it and only having the wet sound come through ?

Simply using a short delay mixed in as a device to sweeten the sound (if needed), while the longer "effect" delay is what you hear distinctly as an effect (as in the reference track). Filtering the highs of a guitar track by mixing in a little delayed signal (with no feedback) is a good trick to make it mellower. Playing with delay time (short, starting with 20ms) and mix level (low, sometimes no more than 3-4%) allows you often to sweeten a somewhat harsh guitar sound very transparently. You can surely use a send but for this kind of things I usually employ a delay with a mix knob - almost always Echoboy.

But it's not a given that it's needed. With proper mic positioning, you can avoid a harsh sound in the first place.
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page