You are here

mic into looper

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

mic into looper

Postby ef37a » Fri Nov 06, 2020 4:14 am

Son posed me a problem the other day. How can he get his classical guitar into his JamMan looper pedal? He would pick up the guitar with an SM57.

My solution is an XLR to 50k (and 600R) transformer. It came yesterday and I tested it by plugging in my Prodipe mTT1 and then into my HT-20 amp.

Result, BAGS of gain! In fact it feeds back PDQ and is still usable switched to the 600R output.

I have put it in the box along with the Mackie EM-91C LDC I am sending him in France.

I would like to say a big thank you to Polar who were so very helpful in the tortuous path the mic has had! Super company.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Re: mic into looper

Postby DC-Choppah » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:45 am

Indeed, I can confirm that an SM57 through a mic cable, and into a standard Low to High Transformer (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail ... ce-matcher) and then into the looper pedal works just fine.

The SM57 will need to be pretty close to the guitar to pick it up though. But it will work.

I have a similar setup with an SM57 on a Gypsy Jazz guitar and into a Boss Loop Station pedal. Lay-down a little Gypsy jazz set of chords, and then take 10 solos!

A cool mod would be to add phantom power to the looper so you could use a condenser.
DC-Choppah
Frequent Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:06 am

Boss RC30/300 loopers have mic inputs and phantom power.
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:35 am

Sam Spoons wrote:Boss RC30/300 loopers have mic inputs and phantom power.

Thanks all for your suggestions. Sam. it would be MUCH cheaper to get him a one lung Berry mixer!

Actually, if this does not work that well (it MUST work to a degree) I have a phantom power box I no longer need so I could send him that.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:06 pm

Yes, quite true Dave...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Finally taking this recording lark seriously (and recording my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby ef37a » Sun Nov 08, 2020 1:58 pm

Sam Spoons wrote:Yes, quite true Dave...

The other point is Sam, all loopers it seems have a learning curve? Son said he was a bit banjaxed by the MO of the Jam Man for the first month or so but now has it sussed. i doubt he would want to start again!
Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Sam Spoons » Sun Nov 08, 2020 2:26 pm

Also a fair comment. For anybody who comes along later though it's probably helpful to be reminded that different loopers have different features.

DC-Choppah wrote:I have a similar setup with an SM57 on a Gypsy Jazz guitar and into a Boss Loop Station pedal. Lay-down a little Gypsy jazz set of chords, and then take 10 solos

That's exactly what I mostly use my loopers for :blush: I'm quite disciplined though and, while I do save rhythm tracks, I do try to record every songs rhythm guitar part afresh each time I practice. In fact I recommend to anybody looking at a looper for practice purposes to choose one without memory slots (TC Ditto or similar) so that you have no choice but re-record the rhythm part before you get to solo...
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster