You are here

HELP: electric acoustic guitar string bridge pins are stuck!

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Re: HELP: electric acoustic guitar string bridge pins are stuck!

Postby zenguitar » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:08 pm

The thimble is a great idea.

I rarely sew anything, but every time I do I discover I really needed a thimble. I'll have to put an assortment in my Amazon basket ready to add to my next shop.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby merlyn » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:01 pm

I lever bridge pins out with the handle of a spoon. The handle of a spoon is blunt so it doesn't damage the pin like a sharp object such as a screwdriver would. For the high E I would come in from the B string side, using the B pin as the fulcrum. Persuade it out in steps rather than trying to force it out in one go. For the low E come in from the A string side, using the A pin as a fulcrum.
merlyn
Regular

Postby seriousnewbie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:40 am

seriousnewbie wrote:I have tried pretty much everything google and YouTube told me, and it won't work. I have tried to push the string down, which I can't do on the lower 2 strings, E and A. On the top 3 strings, I can push the strings down but it doesn't do anything. I have gone up from under the sound hole and tried to push them up, and it hasn't worked either. This I my first time replacing my strings, so I am sorry if my answer is super simple and am wasting your time. So far the only one I have been able to get up, is the D string bridge pin, the rest won't budge!

We are good! thanks for everyone for the great advice!
seriousnewbie
Poster

Postby zenguitar » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:43 am

Glad you got it sorted :)

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
liberté, frivolité et vanité

Postby adrian_k » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:11 am

And to help prevent it happening again, you could ream the the pin holes out very slightly. The pin doesn’t need to be tight in the hole, just ‘comfy’.

If its ‘comfy’ with no string, but tight with a string, then check the pin has a string slot down its length (some don’t). If not try swapping them.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Previous