You are here

Headphone with tube amp

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Headphone with tube amp

Postby gern » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:15 pm

I have a Marshall tube amp head and want to run headphones thru the DI to a headphone amp. I have the Behringer micro amp HA400 and it works fine with apple ear buds but headphones, I'm only getting the left ear. Would a stereo to mono splitter plugged into 2 channels work for this?
gern

Re: Headphone with tube amp

Postby ef37a » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:06 pm

Can I assume the "DI out" on the Marshall is an attenuated speaker feed? Or it might be a line level pre power amp output like an FX out. Whichever it is it will be mono so you need a mono 'TS' cable to TRS 'stereo where the ring and tip are connected together.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby gern » Thu Dec 03, 2020 11:15 pm

The DI is a direct input for recording however I discovered it could be used for use with a headphone amp on a tube amp. The earbuds work great but really want for headphones to keep wife happy during my play time. I just ordered a splitter so I'll see how that goes. Thanks for the reply
gern

Postby Murray B » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:39 am

If the output from the amp is Mono (which I think it is) then plugging a stereo jack in isn't going to work. The splitter cable will provide only one channel of sound still.

However if the cable you've ordered has a jack plug you can open up it's possible to do a bit of soldering to re wire it to fit the advice given previously. If it's moulded plugs then it might be a waste of money.

Otherwise I don't think it's going to work unless you can find the spot where the connector in the socket will touch both the tip and ring of the stereo plug. Kind of nearly in.. but it's not much of a long term solution.

One of these on the end of a standard guitar cable would do the trick perhaps?

https://www.gear4music.com/Books-DVD-and-Sheet-Music/Hosa-GPP-419-1-4-TS-to-1-4-TRS-Adapter/1HJD
Murray B
Regular

Postby Murray B » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:44 am

Of course - if you've ordered a mono splitter TS jack and you can feed the left and right channels on the headphone amp separately you'll be fine :)
Murray B
Regular

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:11 am

It’s got a single TRS input, so you’ll need a TS to TRS cable with the Tip and Ring of the TRS jack linked and connected to the Tip of the TS jack. The Screen is connected to Screen at both ends, as normal.

If you’ve got a small mixer with a headphone output, a standard TS to TS jack lead into a mono line input channel of the mixer with the channel’s pan pot set centrally will work.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Murray B » Fri Dec 04, 2020 9:52 am

Just re read the original post - are you intending running the amp with no speaker attached? Not a good plan with anything with a tube power amp - you'll break it.
Murray B
Regular

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:45 am

I am sure it was a typo Mr W but it is the Ring and Tip that need to be linked to get the mono signal in both channels (where they will resolve as a single source in the middle of OP's head)

N.B. Such a cable should NOT be used to combine two RT sources for mono. There is unlikely to be any damage to modern outputs but distortion could result from shorting one channel.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:12 am

It was a typo! Thanks. I'll ask a mod to alter it.

It's still a right PITA to me that you can't edit posts after a very limited period. You can on many forums and there's never been an issue.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:22 am

Wonks wrote:It was a typo! Thanks. I'll ask a mod to alter it.

It's still a right PITA to me that you can't edit posts after a very limited period. You can on many forums and there's never been an issue.

With you there Wonks! Also no auto save. A few days ago I droned on a bit then when I came to send I found my TTlk internet had dropped out (does that a lot, must ask somebody about it) Result, I had to do it all again but this time in Open Office and pasted it.

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:27 am

Wonks wrote:It was a typo! Thanks. I'll ask a mod to alter it.[/quote

Done.

It's because of the confusion potentially caused by re-quoting -- exactly as happened here when Dave re-quoted your typo. So in addition to changing your post, I've also removed Dave's re-post of it...

If the forum supported unlimited changes it would often still require Mod intervention...

Anyway, happy to help, and no charge for the fix! :-D
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound
In my world, things get less strange when I read the manual... 

Postby Sam Spoons » Fri Dec 04, 2020 11:45 am

gern wrote:I have a Marshall tube amp head and want to run headphones thru the DI to a headphone amp. I have the Behringer micro amp HA400 and it works fine with apple ear buds but headphones, I'm only getting the left ear. Would a stereo to mono splitter plugged into 2 channels work for this?

Not sure I understand this, if it works with ear buds (presumably wired) it should also work with 'normal' headphones? That suggests the issue is with the headphones not the cable or HA400.

gern wrote:The DI is a direct input for recording
Minor point but it's a direct output
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby Wonks » Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:03 pm

I wondered and eventually assumed they are probably IEM units wired to feed both sides from a mono signal. But unless the HA400 is getting a feed on both input channels, then the result should only be an output on one channel.

You may possibly get a feed on both with an imperfectly inserted TS jack on the input that bridges the T and R input jack connections. but it won't be very secure.

The OP needs to come back and give us a better description of their wiring.

And also needs to let us know if the cab is connected or not.
Wonks
Jedi Poster

Postby ef37a » Fri Dec 04, 2020 1:11 pm

Wonks wrote:I wondered and eventually assumed they are probably IEM units wired to feed both sides from a mono signal. But unless the HA400 is getting a feed on both input channels, then the result should only be an output on one channel.

You may possibly get a feed on both with an imperfectly inserted TS jack on the input that bridges the T and R input jack connections. but it won't be very secure.

The OP needs to come back and give us a better description of their wiring.

And also needs to let us know if the cab is connected or not.

Indeed and the LOGICAL thing to do with a Direct Output or Emulated output on a guitar amp is to make it TRS and impedance balanced. Even better a wee transformer and provide an earth free source. After active monitors, guitar amps are the most commonly cited devices in ground loop issues would be my bet.

Few valve amps provide an actual headphone output but if they do it should of course feed both ears!

Dave.
ef37a
Jedi Poster