You are here

cheap reverb and overdrive pedals?

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

cheap reverb and overdrive pedals?

Postby behenny » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:24 pm

Looking for decent reverb and overdrive pedals for under £50 each this Christmas. Looking for a kind of post rock, alternative rock type sound like sonic youth, slint ect. A pedal thats good for subtle reverb (as i don't use much) and a subtle overdrive (not really into the extremely loud lead sounds, more interested in getting a bit of grit on the rhythm guitar). So far I've came across the fulltone OCD which is out of my price range. I've also been looking at the ibanez tube screamer mini which could be interesting. The hall of fame mini seems out of my price range too in terms of reverb which was another one I was looking at. Any advice for a pedal newbie would be welcome, thanks! :D
behenny
Poster

Re: cheap reverb and overdrive pedals?

Postby The Elf » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:34 pm

I'd get them both in one and go for the Zoom MS-50G.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:07 pm

Cheap reverb pedals don't really exist. I've bought one £35 one to see what it was like and 'pretty bad' was my impression. "A Coolmusic Reverberry" and it was just prone to a lot of noise and lacked headroom. A lot of the cheap reverb pedals have the same internals with just slightly different packaging.

Otherwise I've got a Boss RV5 (the current RV6 is around £90) and a £99 Mooer R7. Both do nice reverbs IMO. The Mooer gives far more control over the actual reverb.

I haven't tried every cheap reverb pedal around, but it's one effect you do have to spend a reasonable amount on, (£90 and upwards I'd say) if you want decent depth and smooth tails, without excessive reflections that make it sound more like an echo.

It's one effect you probably will get more for your money for within a multi-FX unit (like that Zoom). But you need to like multi-FX units. I've tried and had loads, but I prefer individual pedals, so much more immediate.

But there are loads of Chinese drive pedals for around the £20-£25 mark that are excellent copies of other pedals. Amazon, eBay and Aliexpress are the places to look for those.

One's I've got are:

Kmise Crunch Distortion (a good Rat clone)
Kmise Ultimate Overdrive = (a good OCD clone)
Kmise US Dream (Suhr Riot Clone) , decent distortion
Cuvave Overdrive TS (tube screamer) is great, as good as my 1980 TS808.
Cuvave Overdrive DB (dumble style overdrive) is also very good, like the TS but without the mid hump
Cuvave Overdrive Amp is a low level drive pedal, great for blues and 60s classic rock tones (Free etc.) Can't get a bad sound out of it. But it is fairly low/medium gain, so not suitable for heavier stuff.
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Sam Spoons » Wed Dec 09, 2020 8:44 pm

I have an original TC Hall Of Fame mini reverb which allows 'tone prints' to be loaded, I'm very happy with that but it is not battery power so needs a PSU and is not cheap at £75 (HOF 2 from Thomann). I also have a cheap Landlord 'Amber Nectar' distortion which is supposed to be similar in character to a Tube Screamer, sounds pretty decent to my ears for, currently, around £30
Sam Spoons
Jedi Poster
Still taking this recording lark seriously (and trying to record my Gypsy Jazz CD)........

Postby al_diablo » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:21 pm

I have Mooer and Tone City drive and fuzz pedals and they are both good for the price.

Havent had much luck with cheap reverbs personally.
al_diablo
Regular

Postby blinddrew » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:24 pm

Ah, got my threads confused. Oops.

I have a cheap reverb and it's really not very good. Unless you like adding a bucket of mush to your sound.
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby rockydennis » Thu Dec 10, 2020 1:37 am

I second the multi-fx idea - another option to the Zoom is a Line 6 M5 - discontinued, but you can still find it new at some UK retailers, and it about fits your combined budget. It's Line 6's last gen modeling, but it's much cheaper than their current Helix based offerings. A positive SOS review:
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/line-6-m5
rockydennis
Poster

Postby garrettendi » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:05 pm

The Joyo stuff is all good. I use the Joyo Ultimate Drive (OCD clone) which I believe is the same as the Kmise that Wonks referred to.
garrettendi
Frequent Poster (Level2)
"I mean, Led Zeppelin didn't write tunes that everyone liked. They left that to the Bee Gees"Wayne Campbell (Wayne's World)

Postby Wonks » Thu Dec 10, 2020 12:27 pm

Lots of Chinese OEM pedals with the same insides and different graphics and names on the outside available. And they are all of surprisingly high quality construction and they don't feel cheap at all.

The Donner Ultimate Compressor (an optical type) is one of my favourite new pedals. It just works, a great always-on pedal that just makes things sound better. A much better compressor for me than my Xotic SP, though like overdrive, there are many flavours of compressor, so it may not do exactly what you want. But if you want a pedal that doesn't dull your tone but just provides more sustain with the minimum of noise (rather than being obvious and super-squashy), then I'd give the Donner (and its identical counterparts) 10/10, especially for £20-£25 or so depending on the source!
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby behenny » Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:02 pm

I think I'll go with a compressor having looked at some online.
behenny
Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:02 am

This is becoming boring, it sort of deserves a locked thread if it’s own, but the Zoom MS50/70 range are basically the only choice, they do lots of other things, but the reverbs are so good, and so flexible, they rival some of the more expensive rack units.
All for about eighty quid.
I’d go for a CDR70 if it’s reverb you want, primarily, the 50 has more cab/distortion stuff.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 11, 2020 9:53 am

Arpangel wrote:This is becoming boring, it sort of deserves a locked thread if it’s own, but the Zoom MS50/70 range are basically the only choice, they do lots of other things, but the reverbs are so good, and so flexible, they rival some of the more expensive rack units.
I’d go for a CDR70 if it’s reverb you want, primarily, the 50 has more cab/distortion stuff.
...but there's a hack available that allows you to port any effect from any of the MS pedals to any other. :ugeek:

People who have tried the hack, ahem... have found it to be the perfect solution for getting the right combination of effects into both pedals. ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:08 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:This is becoming boring, it sort of deserves a locked thread if it’s own, but the Zoom MS50/70 range are basically the only choice, they do lots of other things, but the reverbs are so good, and so flexible, they rival some of the more expensive rack units.
...but there's a hack available that allows you to port any effect from any of the MS pedals to any other. :ugeek:

People who have tried the hack, ahem... have found it to be the perfect solution for getting the right combination of effects into both pedals. ;)

But Elf, really, you know that involves using one of those.......

COMPUTERS :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

:D :D :D :D :D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Fri Dec 11, 2020 10:56 am

Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:

...or get an adult to do it for you! :lol: (I knew those Blue Peter quotations would come in useful some day!)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Arpangel » Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:49 am

The Elf wrote:
Arpangel wrote:
The Elf wrote:

...or get an adult to do it for you! :lol: (I knew those Blue Peter quotations would come in useful some day!)

Yes, and what makes it worse is that I got a Blue Peter badge too, I do wonder what went wrong sometimes, between then, and now, I think it had something to do with going to pub one night after choir practice, and then preferring the pub to choir practice.

:D
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Next