You are here

Question about a guitar/bass combo.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Question about a guitar/bass combo.

Postby himesgoli59 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:21 pm

I noticed years ago that Local H which used to be only 2 guys, someone said Scott the singer used some kind of guitar/bass combo for live performances. Does anyone know what his setup was/is or what this could be guitar-wise? When I googled it I only found a kind of guitar with two necks, one with bass strings. I'm curious b/c I am having trouble finding musicians for my new band; it's only me (guitar) and my drummer, but I figured if we find a singer, a bass player would be less important for playing live (but not ideal, I would rather have a bassist.)
himesgoli59

Re: Question about a guitar/bass combo.

Postby CS70 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:01 pm

The Doors famously did with Ray Manzarek playing a Fender Rhodes piano..
CS70
Jedi Poster
Silver Spoon - Check out our latest video and the FB page

Postby Murray B » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:07 pm

Don't know what people used to use, but you could consider a Submarine pickup and routing this through and octave pedal - I've been considering using something like this myself, but haven't got around to it yet.

https://www.submarinepickup.com
Murray B
Regular

Postby Hewesy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:26 pm

Here's an interview with the guy, apparently he just bolted on a bass pickup and ran it to an Ampeg set super bass heavy: https://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars ... tup-564205

I use a Boss OC3 which has a polyphonic mode, meaning you can play chords (guitar sound) but only get single bass notes. You can then "tune" the pedal as to what strings you wish the octave note to work on. Ideally for the best sound send it to something that can handle the lower octave, bass amp, PA, keyboard amp, acoustic amp etc.

The Submarine pickup is a thing of beauty and I'd happy add one to my rig. The legend Benji Kirkpatrick uses one on both guitar and bouzouki and it is a lovely thing.

Hewesy
Hewesy
Frequent Poster

Postby adrian_k » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:28 pm

Murray B wrote:Don't know what people used to use, but you could consider a Submarine pickup and routing this through and octave pedal - I've been considering using something like this myself, but haven't got around to it yet.

https://www.submarinepickup.com

I did this for a couple of years, mark 1 submarine on my acoustic. I routed the submarine and the undersaddle through a custom pedal that had a send loop to low cut the undersaddle when the submarine was engaged. Submarine then went through an MXR octave pedal. Worked pretty well.
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..