You are here

Smartphone headstock clamp

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Smartphone headstock clamp

Postby Lala » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:20 pm

Hi,

Anyone hereabouts experimented with using a clamp for their smartphone that attaches to the headstock to allow filming down the neck ?

Amazon and Ebay are awash with listings for a very similar design (a large bulldog clip with rubber jaws with a ballhead mount attached) with prices ranging from a few pounds to about £30 and reviews from 'really good' to 'biggest waste of money ever' !

The best one I ever saw was 'The Magnet' as seen in the Troy Grady instructional videos (also used on guitars of artists he was interviewing, Molly Tuttle was a highlight https://youtu.be/awFeDMNiKX4 but I digress).

Trouble is he seems to have been crowd funding for years to try and get it into production.

Anyone found anything else that works well ?
Lala
Regular

Re: Smartphone headstock clamp

Postby The Elf » Sat Mar 06, 2021 1:48 pm

I have a few of the RAM X-clamps for both phone and tablet and they are very well-made. I've never looked for a mount to fasten them to a guitar, but you could always drop them a query?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby shufflebeat » Sat Mar 06, 2021 3:03 pm

There are a lot of GoPro and GoPro "style" accessories which use a standard camera tripod screw thread and can be fixed to a phone mount with the same fitting.

I've gathered a few clamps over the years that would do the job handsomely, none marketed for the purpose. I actually bought a Hercules mic stand phone mount and when I got home realised I already had the makings of two clamps that were at least as robust and more flexible in their application.
shufflebeat
Jedi Poster
"Dance, dance. wherever you may be, for I am the Lord of the damp settee..."

Do yourself a favour, wear earplugs at gigs.

Postby Lala » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:10 pm

Many thanks Elf and Shufflebeat, I'll check those suggestions out :thumbup:
Lala
Regular