You are here

Too many pedals.

For all things relating to guitars, basses, amps, pedals & accessories.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:07 am

Wonks wrote:
Arpangel wrote:Of course it’s OK, I have three tooth brushes, and they always come in handy.

I didn’t know you only had three teeth.

:D

That’s a whole new perspective, of course, we could have a set of pedals for each guitar (or keyboard) we own, that’s a good way to justify owning so many, purely on a convenience footing, you could even have pedals just for gigging, and studio, that way you don’t have to keep disconnecting pedal and PSU's, I’m already doing this, it works well.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7512
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Wonks » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:42 am

Quite a few people I know have different pedalboards for different situations. And with so many good, cheap Chinese clones of classic analogue pedals available for £20-£25, it doesn't have to cost too much to do so.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11434
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:51 am

Wonks wrote:Quite a few people I know have different pedalboards for different situations. And with so many good, cheap Chinese clones of classic analogue pedals available for £20-£25, it doesn't have to cost too much to do so.

Yes, I’m thinking of trying those Behringer ones, also the Mooer ones, but what I’m really looking for is an all in one solution, a small synth, with every synthesis option built in, every effect built in, and a fully featured audio recorder and editor, built in, that weighs a few ounces, is battery powered and that can be played in bed, on a pillow.

:think: :)
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7512
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Random Guitarist » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:24 am

I can certainly identify with this having recently sold a pedal. It had sat on the office shelf for 15+ years without 9v troubling its slumber. I only plugged it in to test it, but I was still reluctant to put it in the post. On any sensible level it's ridiculous to want to hang onto these things, but the emotions are a different thing.

I have pedals I know I will never use again. but they are still on a shelf. Swivelling round on the office chair I can see 16 pedals from where I sit. Maybe 4 of them I will use again. I can pretend that they will be a source of inspiration some day, but I kind of doubt it.

The only other possibility is if I make up a secondary pedal board. But that makes no sense. I would build a chain of pedals that I rejected from my main pedal board.

I am convinced now, it's time to sell, or maybe create a small pedal board . . .
Random Guitarist
Frequent Poster
Posts: 731
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:00 am
Location: West Sussex UK
I've never liked a solo violin, you need at least five for a proper fire.

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Arpangel » Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:33 am

Random Guitarist wrote:I can certainly identify with this having recently sold a pedal. It had sat on the office shelf for 15+ years without 9v troubling its slumber. I only plugged it in to test it, but I was still reluctant to put it in the post. On any sensible level it's ridiculous to want to hang onto these things, but the emotions are a different thing.

I have pedals I know I will never use again. but they are still on a shelf. Swivelling round on the office chair I can see 16 pedals from where I sit. Maybe 4 of them I will use again. I can pretend that they will be a source of inspiration some day, but I kind of doubt it.

The only other possibility is if I make up a secondary pedal board. But that makes no sense. I would build a chain of pedals that I rejected from my main pedal board.

I am convinced now, it's time to sell, or maybe create a small pedal board . . .

It is true, certain pedals have a deep emotional connection, I bought some just as I was moving into my new place, and they sat in their boxes for weeks, owing to building works going on, so I was really anticipating using them, so all that goes through my mind, it bonds you to things, emotional and important associations.
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7512
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:28 am

It’s true. I just got a Boss SE-50 up and running and the sound took me right back to younger days.
And
An old toothbrush is perfect for getting the dust out of pedal crevices!
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4422
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: O Canada

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:12 am

ManFromGlass wrote:It’s true. I just got a Boss SE-50 up and running and the sound took me right back to younger days.
And
An old toothbrush is perfect for getting the dust out of pedal crevices!

MFG, you know that SE50 I bought recently from a "reputable dealer" it had a fault, presets wouldn’t hold in memory, had to change the battery, all is now fine.
But it just goes to show that they hadn’t tested it, they would have seen on fire-up that the screen was all hieroglyphics.

:(
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7512
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 am

It had obviously been used by the dealer’s mummy.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11434
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Arpangel » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:32 am

Wonks wrote:It had obviously been used by the dealer’s mummy.

That’s bad Wonks, I expect better from you!

:D
User avatar
Arpangel
Jedi Poster
Posts: 7512
Joined: Sat Jul 12, 2003 12:00 am

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:26 am

OK then; it was all part of a pyramid selling scheme .
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11434
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby blinddrew » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:35 am

Wonks wrote:It had obviously been used by the dealer’s mummy.
That joke is older than the pharo...

Sorry. I'll see myself out.
User avatar
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Posts: 14541
Joined: Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:00 am
Location: York
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Wonks » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:14 am

blinddrew wrote:
Wonks wrote:It had obviously been used by the dealer’s mummy.
That joke is older than the pharo...

Sorry. I'll see myself out.

Tut tut.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11434
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:51 pm

n common?
And
The clip that held the battery in mine was bent so the battery was loose. Easy fix. Hieroglyphs now back to english after the factory reboot sequence..
User avatar
ManFromGlass
Jedi Poster
Posts: 4422
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:00 am
Location: O Canada

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby SecretSam » Thu May 06, 2021 8:54 am

You could always donate some of the excess pedals to poor people in Africa. I would be happy to accept them on the continent's behalf.
SecretSam
Frequent Poster
Posts: 1821
Joined: Tue Oct 29, 2002 1:00 am
Location: Officially, I do not exist.
Instant gratification is actually pretty good. It's fast as well.

Re: Too many pedals.

Postby Wonks » Thu May 06, 2021 9:04 am

And obviously we'd have to take all your money, house and other possessions away first to make you poor so that you could accept them.
User avatar
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Posts: 11434
Joined: Thu May 29, 2003 12:00 am
Location: Reading, UK
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

PreviousNext