You are here

Modular Article this month

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Modular Article this month

Postby bogon » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:55 pm

Hi there - (1st post from me and I wasn't sure which forum to place it in, so please move if appropriate)

I've just finished reading this month's article on Modular Synths. Great stuff and all a bit too tempting! I noticed a few really cool manufacturers were missed so thought I'd post and see if anyone knows of any others.

Serge - one of the undisputed kings! Amazing banana systems, though out of my price league. I don't think there's a website - I heard you have to phone a guy in the states!

Wiard - http://www.wiard.com/ - again, modular royalty! Wonderful big blue systems with amazing looking depth plus a few smaller frac modules in black

BugBrand - http://www.bugbrand.co.uk - I was really hoping you'd mention the great work of Tom Bugs as his devices are amazing and he's from my hometown of Bristol. He's only recently started offering modular systems (so maybe too late for inclusion in your article?), but they look and sound so great + they seem quite reasonably priced. Just seeing all the colourful banana jacks and the cool Youtube videos ( http://www.youtube.com/bugbrand ) got me wanting so bad! Unfortunately, he's only making a few systems at the moment, though I'm really hoping to get in on a future run (maybe need to win the lottery lol). I've got one of his new Board Weevils which is a very different beast from the modular, but it is such great fun to play with.

So, anyone else know of other modular makers who didn't get in the article?
Patrick :)
bogon
New here

Re: Modular Article this month

Postby Beerma§ter » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:29 pm

Hey Patrick,

Well Spotted ! - Sound Transform Systems 'STS' ( Serge run by Rex Probe ) Was indeed overlooked. I'm guessing because the only way to find out anything about their systems is via their UN-Official Website www.Serge-Fans.com.

Wiard was indeed a shame to be missed - Great systems if you can get one !

Bug brand I think announced their modular system too late for this to be included as I think these articles are written several months in advance. I thought the Bug Brand modular was a limited run ?

The other names that could be added to the lists are:

Suit and Tie Guy - several unique modules
Club Of The KNobs - Another Moog look a like
Tellun corp - Kit based modules such as the'Neural Agonizer'

Can't think of many others tho

Beer

( Lester Barnes )
Beerma§ter
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi Patrick, and welcome to the SOS Forums!

I think you're undervaluing your post - it's not really relevant to Newbies and warrant the full Music Recording Technology experience, so I'll move it over there but leave a link here.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Forum Admin » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:46 pm

If anyone wants a quick link to the SOS April 2009 edition's "Going Modular" article itself, here it is:

http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/apr09/a ... odular.htm

It's locked-out for the first 5 months to subscribers, but you can buy it as a single download instead. We even have PayPal these days. ;)

Or nip along to a newsagent, flip through it, and buy a copy?

Ian G
Forum Admin
Location: A studio deep in the fenlands of Cambridgeshire, UK
SEARCH SOS 10,911 articles: www.soundonsound.com/search
FREE Full Issue PDF Digital Mag: https://sosm.ag/FreePDF

Postby David Glasper » Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:47 pm

This shows just how healthy the modular market is at the moment — even in a massive nine page article there wasn't enough space to mention all the different manufacturers.

Thanks for mentioning some of the people who weren't included in the piece.
David Glasper
Poster

Postby krisp1 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:05 am

Beerma§ter wrote:

Beer

( Lester Barnes )

Lester How many Oakley modules are in Fat Bastard ?

Paul Darlow

web page
krisp1
New here

Postby Beerma§ter » Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:31 pm

krisp1 wrote:
Beerma§ter wrote:

Beer

( Lester Barnes )

Lester How many Oakley modules are in Fat Bastard ?

Paul Darlow

web page

Clearly Not enough Paul ! !

The Oakely suff in FB from memory is:

3 VCOs, 2 Superladders, a dual Equinox, Wavefolder,EFG Delux, 2x Comparators, 2 big mixers, 1 MIdi DAC, 1 VC-EG

WOuld love a few of the newer modules tho !
Beerma§ter
Poster

Postby alex s » Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:13 pm

Beerma§ter wrote:2 Superladders

Yes mate, I think you'd need a couple to reach those modulars :beamup:

alex s
Regular

Postby Pashmina » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:38 pm

I agree that Wiard and Serge should have been included, although as a typical modular synth nutjob who owns a Serge panel and one of a very few Wiard systems in the UK I'm bound to say that, aren't I.

Also, Oakley is an obvious miss - UK based, very high quality designs, available in kit form and ready-build from that krisp geezer who posted upthread.

Also, "they're not just for prog rockers", capes blah blah and all that - there's nothing actually wrong with making progressive rock I don't think?

apart from that it was a good article - got across how much fun it is farting around with this stuff very well I thought.
Pashmina
Poster

"We hate all those who diss them, but shot all those who like them"

Postby krisp1 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:54 pm

Cheers Pashmina
Ive never been called a geezer :D

Paul Darlow
krisp1
krisp1
New here

Postby Spiked Lunch » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:03 am

Are the Oakley modules in the same 'moogy' format as synthesizer.com?

I've recently taken my first steps into modular synthesis and got myself a synth.com portable 22 system which I love! It unfortunatly cost a fortune due to the current US/UK exchange rates. I'd like to expand on what I have in the future and it would be great if I could cut costs down by building modules from kits.

Cheers,
Mike
Spiked Lunch
Regular

Postby Keef R. » Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:13 am

What kinda of music would you use the modular stuff with? I can't use it for my style of rock, blues really.
Keef R.
Regular

Postby bogon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:32 am

(Thanks for moving the thread from the Newbie section Martin. As I say, I didn't think it was a Newbie question, but didn't know exactly where to put it :?)

I found another interesting and cheap looking option:
http://mfberlin.de/Produkte/produkte.html
(some is in english, some in german)
I think they have only recently started doing modular and I've heard tell that the modules maybe feel a little plastic, but offer fantastic bang-for-your-buck.

I also went out to EMIS where the Doepfer system for the article came from. Andy does seem very friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. Now I just need to determine whether the wife will accept my planned purchases :lol: :lol: :lol:
bogon
New here

Postby krisp1 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:58 am

Mike Lynch wrote:

I've recently taken my first steps into modular synthesis and got myself a synth.com portable 22 system which I love! It unfortunatly cost a fortune due to the current US/UK exchange rates. I'd like to expand on what I have in the future and it would be great if I could cut costs down by building modules from kits.

Cheers,
Mike
The height of the modules is definitely the same but the width is different Oakley moduels are slimmer than synth.com so they will fit your case but there may be a gap at the end

There is a difference in power hook up also but I am working on an easy way to interface the synth.com power to Oakley modules

The Pound to Dollar exchange rates does make krisp1 built Oakley modular one of the most inexpensive 5U modular out there

For DIY there's the bare PCB and the Pre-pop boards that I am starting to roll out

cheers

Paul Darlow

krisp1
krisp1
New here

Postby JamesSimpson » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:54 pm

Does anybody have any idea who distributes livewire in the uk? Or is it currently nobody?
JamesSimpson
Frequent Poster
Squarehead Jam Jar Facebook Jam Jar

Postby Spiked Lunch » Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:03 pm

krisp1 wrote:
Mike Lynch wrote:

Cheers,
Mike
The height of the modules is definitely the same but the width is different Oakley moduels are slimmer than synth.com so they will fit your case but there may be a gap at the end

There is a difference in power hook up also but I am working on an easy way to interface the synth.com power to Oakley modules

The Pound to Dollar exchange rates does make krisp1 built Oakley modular one of the most inexpensive 5U modular out there

For DIY there's the bare PCB and the Pre-pop boards that I am starting to roll out

cheers

Paul Darlow

krisp1

Thanks Paul, that's good to know.

Mike
Spiked Lunch
Regular

Postby Beerma§ter » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:42 pm

JamesSimpson wrote:Does anybody have any idea who distributes livewire in the uk? Or is it currently nobody?

They don't seem to have a UK distribution but I managed to get all of my Livewire modules ( and Plan B, Cwejman, Harvestman ) with incredible efficiency and care via Analouehaven in the US. - Can't recommend them enough.

Lester.
Beerma§ter
Poster

Postby bogon » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:38 pm

Beerma§ter wrote:
JamesSimpson wrote:Does anybody have any idea who distributes livewire in the uk? Or is it currently nobody?

They don't seem to have a UK distribution but I managed to get all of my Livewire modules ( and Plan B, Cwejman, Harvestman ) with incredible efficiency and care via Analouehaven in the US. - Can't recommend them enough.

Lester.

A friend just showed me the 'catalogue' of http://www.schneidersbuero.de/ . They seem to be something of the Euro version of Analogue Haven and they stock many wonderful EuroRack systems inc. Livewire. I don't know but it may work out cheaper than ordering from AH in the US.

By the way, the 'catalogue' is very highly recommended 8-) It gives a very informative overview of the sorts of ranges they cover, focusing on designers and some particular modules. It is more like a book than a catalogue and now I want a copy too!

Cheers, Patrick
bogon
New here

Postby markhodges » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:42 pm

Their online catalogue is here. Some interesting stuff in there.

http://www.schneidersladen.de/english.html
markhodges
Regular

Postby indexofmetals » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:41 pm

yes, too many ones missed, particularly serge who's been around for ages & Oakley (wasn't the analogue systems phasor licensed from them?), but nice to see a pic of my actual metalbox bi-n-tic vco/filter in the article (metalbox will do whatever colours you want and in banana too).

btw, the cynthia module isn't available now and when I emailed her about it she couldn't give a release date

Hopefully they'll do an article on the bugbrand modular when the normal production starts later this year (after the initial limited run systems) - even tape op in the US did an article on him. It's a UK magazine, lets give him some publicity and encouragement - how many articles has Analogue Systems had in the past 10 years? I've been beta-testing it since last October and the thing is amazing.

cheers

Richard
indexofmetals
Poster