You are here

One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths?

Postby Kola » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:20 am

SE1 would def my my fist choice over Pulse but like you say some people much prefer the digital sound.

I certainly am happy Shreddie with my purchases.
Finally on the right track after buying and selling a ton of stuff over the last few months. Taken a long time to find items that I instantly click with and fit all my check points mentioned somewhere above.

Now only two times stand between me and making a monster tune.

1 - A bag of talent and
2 - Two big bags of time

:D
Kola
Regular

VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

Postby Kola » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Hey just thinking do I get a prize or something??

This is the first thread to make 3 pages in the Vintage Gear forum since the beginning of time.
Kola
Regular

VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:26 pm

Kola wrote:Hey just thinking do I get a prize or something??

This is the first thread to make 3 pages in the Vintage Gear forum since the beginning of time.

LOL let's make it into 4 pages lol Waldorf Pulse best sounding synth in the universe hahah only jokin
But the Pulse and the Moog have their own charm..
I preffer the Midi Moog to the new Moog Voyager also..sound wise mannnn oh man

ps yo Kola I sold 3 Blofelds already hahahah :shock:
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:36 pm

Any way music should go back to 1959...some of the most creative and influentual albums that have shaped the form of music today came out in 59...we need another one of those years lol that and the motown years hah..doubt it will ever happen...everything's been done imo
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby hollowsun » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:00 pm

vinyl_junkie wrote:Hey wan't to know what I hate about the Blofeld? It only came witha PDF manual!! Fortuanatly it's pretty much the same as the Micro Q to use so got on with it quite well.
I hate reading PDF's strains my eyes and I can't read them whie taking a poo hahahah

Print 'em out yourself for some bogside reading! Or use a laptop!

As someone who's done manuals, printed manuals are horrendously expensive to make. Apart from authoring and translation and proof reading costs (which can be high), printing costs can be astronomic and a typical manual for something like the Blofeld or Andy (i.e. hefty manual/small run productions) would probably cost about £30 per copy. Seriously - they are BIG documents with a small printing run and if you're going to do a manual, it has to be done well. Then there are amendments for future OS developments that would need to be included in future runs. Bloody expensive business believe me and this would make the product more expensive. Just the weight of a printed manual can add significantly to shipping costs adding even more to the price of the product not to mention the added costs of shipping extremely heavy boxes and boxes of weighty tomes to the factory to include in the carton.

Given that few people actually RTFM, it makes commercial sense (not just to the company's bean counters managing budgets but to customers as well) to use PDFs (which have the benefit of being semi-promotional if you can download it from the manufacturer's website in advance of maybe making a purchase). And for those who desperately need a paper copy, they can print it out themselves.

Believe me, manufacturers don't use PDFs to p!ss customers off or make shareholders richer - there are very good economical reasons and helps them achieve an attractive price point. I am sure that Blofeld would have been less attractive to you if it was £50 or £60 more expensive simply because it had a printed manual!!!

The Quickstart manuals that come with products are there because certain countries have legislation that stipulate that there be printed instructions in products purchased. France go one further by stipulating that there must be French language documentation included (they also stipulate that the carton must be in French too which is why you see a lot of products with English and French on the boxes!).

Quickstart manuals only need to be basic to satisfy international legislation hence the 4-page jobbies that explain "This is the volume control" ... "This is the headphone output" ... just enough to satisfy legislation and small and lightweight enough not to add significant cost tot the product.
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:17 pm

Yeah I agree Hollow Sun! It makes total scence esp for some one small like Waldorf compared to lets say Roland or Korg who are part of the "Big 3" and yeah I would rather save the money or go on better parts rather than paper/shipping etc costs.
And you are correct..no one now days ever reads the manaul! Some of the questions people ask me are cringe worthy...
About the French thing, I found it funny that in the quick start guide the first pages are in German then english and that's it and the box is just English but this is Waldorf lol the people who advise you not to use your synth near a bath tub lol
To be honest other than the current OS buggs in it that are slowly beeing ironed out it's a fantastic product with good execution at a great price point...Unless you don't like the Waldorf sound which I find is a bit like Marmite some people seem to hate it and some love it.
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:07 pm

Hahah Mickey I think I'm about to do something dumb lol so stop me I think I'm going to buy a Micro Q (again lol) as I have been offered one at a great price....
Man just listen to the onboard demo from this thing and tell me it sucks
http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/files/products/micro_q/audio_demos/hope.mp3

http://www.waldorfmusic.de/assets/files/products/micro_q/audio_demos/schnittchen.mp3

Plenty of individual outs too...any way it's that or Microwave 2..personaly I would preffer a microwave 1 to the 2 and on anohter thing I want a Super Bass Station...but none about so this Micro Q might errm be my next buy lol stop me hahahah oh yeah listen to the demo songs! Best demo on any synth I ever heard imo
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby hollowsun » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:47 am

vinyl_junkie wrote:the people who advise you not to use your synth near a bath tub lol
Oh! When writing all the Health & Safety warnings in a manual, you have to take EVERY possible scenario into consideration however bizarre and unlikely.

You may LOL at the bath reference but think of Waldorf's legal position if someone DID actually try and play their Blofeld near to or in the bath and they had some problem. Without a warning in the manual, the customer can stand in court and say "Well there was nothing in the manual to say I couldn't float it in the bath" and although it is obviously tosh, the judge could rule in the idiot's favour in these days of preposterous litigation and blame culture no doubt aided and abetted by some 'no-win, no-fee' ambulance chasing back-street, second rate legal firm advertising on TV....

"Fallen off a step ladder because you are too stupid to take adequate precautions? Don't worry - we'll find someone to blame and get you untold wealth."

It stems from two legal precedents ....

When microwaves (ovens not synths - what a coincidence!!) first came out, an American lady gave her dog a bath and decided to dry its fur ....

In her new microwave!!!

And cooked the poor bugger from the inside out!!! Her claim was that the manual didn't explicitly warn against this.

Another was when a woman (another American) bought a takeaway coffee from McDonalds. She had it on her lap as she drove away. It spilled and the hot liquid scalded her legs and she sued and won to the tune of $2.6 millions (though a smaller settlement was later agreed upon). This is why you see "Warning - contains hot liquid" stamped on takeaway coffee tubs ... to prevent such litigation. What surprises me is that McDonalds burgers' containers don't have "Warning - contains complete and utter sh*t full of grease and fat and additives and toxins that will kill you" ... but that's the subject of another discussion!!

As it happens, the first case is an urban myth (but the second one isn't) which is why manufacturers have to be VERY careful hence the sometimes bizarre warnings - they have to protect themselves against stupidity and absurd litigation from nutjobs with no common sense!
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Kola » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:55 am

@ Vinyl Junkie -

Any way music should go back to 1959...some of the most creative and influential albums that have shaped the form of music today came out in 59...we need another one of those years lol that and the motown years hah..doubt it will ever happen...every thing's been done imo

This is something I have often thought about, the everything has been done to death debate. For the first time ever Martin I actual totally agree with you. (ha-ha)

I think back in the day when Elvis started to twitch his hips (thanks to forrest gumps tuition) in its day it was a revolution. Other revolutions were bands that didnt care like the Sex Pistols smashing stuff ap and swearing on tv (Imagine that)

But then I feel conventional music was done to death and I was about 14 in 1988 and heavily into the 80's scene loving synth orinteaded bands like Duran Duran and the fabulous and way ahead of its time first ever real remix album League Unlimited Orchestra - Love and Dancing (al la Martin Rushent human leagues producer)

However in the late 80 early 90 people started to analogue synths. At first doing next to nothing could cause great excitement such as twiddling a knob on a 303 and the results were devastating and everyone was 'Wow, how do they do that???"

As time has gone on we have covered way more advanced techniques and technology has moved at such a pace that a quarter of a million pound studio from the early 90's now costs 3 grand and a PC at most.

So much so as with any music people have pushed the genre boundaries but were at a stange now where there really isnt much else to be done that can sound good with electronic instruments just as I felt had happened with conventional instruments in the late 80's Sure good tunes are still made but nothing revolutionary such as elvis or a 303.

The last move forward for me was Roland supersaw but it is old hat now and I am an avid trance fan as you all know, and that was only a move forward not a revolution. But now that we have done conventional music to death and done electronic music to death where too now????
Kola
Regular

Postby Collie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:38 pm

Kola wrote:@ Vinyl Junkie -

So much so as with any music people have pushed the genre boundaries but were at a stange now where there really isnt much else to be done that can sound good with electronic instruments just as I felt had happened with conventional instruments in the late 80's Sure good tunes are still made but nothing revolutionary such as elvis or a 303.

The Problem with electronic based music is that everybody tries to overcomplicate things and make it larger than it needs to be,we have so many options with electronic instruments that it detracts the main objective and most people try to be clever and technical,or copycat others simply because they think having the same instruments equals sucess or talent,totally forgetting the main ingredient in music,with so many of the revolutionary musicians,its not that they pushed the boundaries in technology or used the best gear availible its merely because they made things simplistic because they had limitations with the instruments and gadgets they used at the time.

In todays technology,instrument manufacturers are all obsessed with having the largest sound library or pallette of sounds but rarely will we use 50% of anything we have,and because we have so much availibility at the touch of a button ost people overlook the basics and neglect the time to learn the craft.

Todays era of musicians are lazy,when you can simply switch on a machine and let it do the thinking for you,and thats the problem with technology in music,The musical instrument manufacturers have bred an era of musicians where they no longer have to be Musically gifted or possess a large amount of talent or intellect to use the Machines.
Those that do have the above will always be seen as innovative or pushing the boundaries and invariably will have longevity in there field of music.
Collie
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:26 pm

Collie wrote:
Kola wrote:@ Vinyl Junkie -

The Problem with electronic based music is that everybody tries to overcomplicate things and make it larger than it needs to be,we have so many options with electronic instruments that it detracts the main objective and most people try to be clever and technical,or copycat others simply because they think having the same instruments equals sucess or talent,totally forgetting the main ingredient in music,with so many of the revolutionary musicians,its not that they pushed the boundaries in technology or used the best gear availible its merely because they made things simplistic because they had limitations with the instruments and gadgets they used at the time.

In todays technology,instrument manufacturers are all obsessed with having the largest sound library or pallette of sounds but rarely will we use 50% of anything we have,and because we have so much availibility at the touch of a button ost people overlook the basics and neglect the time to learn the craft.

Todays era of musicians are lazy,when you can simply switch on a machine and let it do the thinking for you,and thats the problem with technology in music,The musical instrument manufacturers have bred an era of musicians where they no longer have to be Musically gifted or possess a large amount of talent or intellect to use the Machines.
Those that do have the above will always be seen as innovative or pushing the boundaries and invariably will have longevity in there field of music.

I couldn't agree with you more!
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:39 pm

Well Mickey for me I think I'm not going to buy any virtual analogues for a bit lol I just got the Micro Q hahah (That doesn't count microwaves hahah that's wavetable synthesis hahah)
Next things on the list some simple but nice analogue/hybrid mono synths like the Super Bass Station and Pulse and some outboard...the Waldorf's do everything I want them to.

vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:35 pm

Some great shots there mate. Looking really good

Waldorf Microwave is an awesome synth I remember from back in the day.

Last thing I need now is sound sources though.

I wont have any money for a while now but next on the list

1 - Good monitors (Looking at the Adam A5 or A7's)
2 - UAD card and plugs

And too be honest I think thats me done. Sure I may buy and sell or upgrade but when I get the above I have what I class as a fully functioning studio and that will be a big day for me.

I just hope that after all this investment I can write a tune I think is up to my standards. Something im yet to do in 36 years.

Still, I worked out my mate has spent around 10K on DVDs over the last 7 years. Makes me feel better about my out lay.
Kola
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:29 pm

Some cool stuff man..yeah your A6 should cover all bases that and you use Abelton so have access to some very nice VST's to complement it..
Yeah the original Microwave is very nice..shame about the secondhand prices now going through the roof on most hardware :protest: A Pulse for over 300 quid?? C'mon Turnkey were clearing them out at 199 new few years back, then Waldorf goes bust and their products sell even cheaper (micro q for 120!) now they are back all of the suddedn people are like ohh hang on lol.
I heard mixed reviews about them Adam monitors, some people seem to love them while quite a few don't like the sound.(I should add I haven't auditioned a set, just saying what some folk have told me..I have considered these in the past also)
I can highly reccomend some Mackie HR-624 mk1's though, I quite liked these and you can pick them up for a nice price second hand. Also these seem very good acoustic energy ae22 and would probs work better in your cramed room as they are not ported...you can even hire a set out to try them from here http://www.cav.co.uk/hire/sound/acoustic-energy/ae22.html
UDA mmm thats nice, I heard the old PCI card's are going very cheap now too
A Focusrite Liquid Mix comes highly reccomended also if you got the dollar!
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Previous