You are here

One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths?

Postby Kola » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:09 pm

Guess what synth

Well, without even clicking im going to go for Micro Q. Sort of gives it away in the link :smirk:

Nord Lead 3 = music to my ears :)
Kola
Regular

VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:16 pm

Cool so you like the NL3 sound, check out all the other sound sets these guys do for synths inc the JP-8080 with sound examples..all aimed at that dutch trance kind of style

http://www.vengeance-sound.com/eng/indexes/indexSounds.html
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:18 pm

Thanks mate, I already have there JP ones. Very good.

Wonder if there are any good uns for the Andromeda I hope to have in front of me one day. Proper set my heart on the idea now :]
Kola
Regular

VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

Postby Kola » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:47 pm

An interesting user review of an Andromeda. Back on topic.

http://www.kleonard.com/gear/A6.htm

And a more pro review
http://emusician.com/elecinstruments/emusic_alesis_andromeda/
Kola
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:51 pm

Just buy this and stop moaning lol 64 Oscilators in 1978...and more

To go with that you need one of these
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:00 pm

doesn't fit my criteria mate.

No MIDI, doubt its Multitimbral and doubt it auto tunes.
Kola
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:12 pm

I think you will be surprized http://120years.net/machines/con_brio/index.html

So your Juno 106 is crap cos it's not multy timbral? Why even judge a synth's capabilities on it's specs...The TB-303 is utter garbage on paper...
The super nova 2 impresses on paper but fails short on sound..hell it's got everything you want outputs, multy timbral, lame fx..everything but it don't sound as nice as others imo
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:21 pm

Crap? Who said anything was crap Martin?

If just doesn't fit my criteria. I need a work horse which the 106 or another monotimbral instrument certainly isnt, no matter how good it is.

Doesnt fit the rest of my criteria either.

1 - Stable tuning or the ability to effectively auto tune
2 - Patch memories
3 - A synth is only as multitimbral to me as the amount of mono outs's it has. IE 32 part with 4 mono outs in my book is four parts.
4 - Must be MIDI compatible. (As I have learned MIDI to CV converters add even more tuning problems.)
Kola
Regular

Postby Folderol » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:19 pm

I would never go for a megasynth for a number of reasons

1) mega, also applies to the learning curve to get the best out of it - hmmm nearly said 'get the beast out of it' :)

2) My experience of electronics generally is that the more they stuff in, them more corners they cut.

3) There is always just that one sound you dearly love that is only obtainable from some ancient crappy synth in the corner of the studio.

4) What do you do when your only synth curls up its little legs and dies just after the last one has been sold on e-bay?
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Kola » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:30 pm

Some fair points there mate but nothing that would put me off.

A mega learning curve once I can handle but having say 10 synths means learning 10 different synths. I honestly feel you never get the best out of any of them. If you had one mega synth once you had learned it you'd be sorted.
By the way, I never intended for it to sound like I wanted only one synth. More just after a work horse. A backbone to build on.

If my one synths dies Id just send it off for repair just like if any of my synth dies. Sure it means Id be without a synth for a few weeks but what if the synth you use for all your lead sounds packs up. Your still knackered.

I can see your point though, sort of all your eggs in one basket.
Kola
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:37 pm

You heard these bad boys Kola? Analogue modeling oscilators & basic wave table oscilators and real analogue filters on the Q+ not to mention 16 part multy plus 6 outs and 1 coax out

vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi mate, yeah they get good reviews especially towards trance.

I would prefer the Andromeda though as its real analogue. I have really set my heart on one as you can tell.

You seem to have gone Waldorf mad

:tongue:
Kola
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:02 pm

Haha yeah, I loved the Pulse when I had it, a friend used to have an XT which was just amazing and also a Micro Q which he sold to me for my Pulse and some other bits..at that time I was only learning synthesis and the micro q was a bit heavy..and the presets were poor...POOORRR lol any way diggin deeper it managed to sound quite nice but I still didn't digg it that much compared to the XT and the big Q rack or keyboard also sounds better but never had the money for them...also the micro q os was still buggy! Any way this Blofeld seems to mix all the best bits of the ones I liked...I would still like a XT and Pulse
I'm very fond of Waldorf stuff and been for a long long time...it was the first synth I sat down and went wow what was that?
My mate knew it inside out and he always got it to sound so good got me hooked...he always told me about the Roland bug which I caught from him but the Waldorf bug is just as infectious lol
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:57 pm

not mentioning the Akai bug though :tongue:
Kola
Regular

Postby Zukan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:59 am

Move up from padewan status Kola and become a Jedi Knight.
Zukan

Postby Kola » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:14 pm

lol, yeah ill just nip down to the bank.

Is it any better than the Andromeda or just more rare or desirable? No fan boy speak please,only honest answers8-)
Kola
Regular

Postby Zukan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:40 pm

Totally different beasts.

I know which one I'd take but then my needs are different to yours.
Zukan

Postby vinyl_junkie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Zukan wrote:Totally different beasts.

I know which one I'd take but then my needs are different to yours.
Don't start me on the Wave...it's AMAZING
I got a sample cd of it from Mike Huckaby in Detroit and it's so lushhhhh
Wave table oscilators with analogue filters mmmmmm
Not to mention the ability to create your own wavetables on the damn thing without the need of a PC!
They want to bring that function to the Blofeld...I hope they do..the XT could do it through a PC and so should this
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:20 pm

I don't get why every one wants the same gear now days...every one wants to sound the same..every one sticks to these stupid rules or afraid to step outside the box
Sometimes limitations leads to CREATIVITY..actually most of the time..I would rather have 3 bits of gear to make tunes on than a whole studio of stuff to get lost in..I would rather get creative with a Bass Station, Pulse and Blofeld over those horible Access virus things.
Why does every trance record have to have that [ ****** ] annoying chese string sound??? why can't it ever move away from that???? Age of Love-Age Of Love the Jam&Spoon mixes were early trance but didn't have cheese string but now it's protocall ever since like 1999 if you make trance you have to use that sound and have annoyin 909 military style snares with a 9 minute break down..same with most dance genres too. Deep house ANNOYING eps when all they do is kick and one up two down rhodes sequence...how's that deep house just cos it's 125 and has a rhodes...screw genres
Best thing to do is not listen to any one when creating, or read those annoying mags, they are all full of BS...just do your own thing (EXCLUDING SOS lol you guys are ace!, some great technical articles and honest gear reviews that don't try to sell me something every 5 seconds)
Stick your head in a bucket of sand lol
Synths are a music instrument much like a Piano..they are supposed to make music but come in different flavours..but at the end of the day they all pretty much do the same thing..If you can't make music you love on some cheap thing then what's an Moog or Waldorf or Andromeda gona change...
This is not realy aimed at you Kola but in general to perhaps young people with too much money who just buy gear for the sake of it.

I'm not ranting or anything just typing stuff as I'm waiting for my pizza while listenin to some old tunes done on the Micro Q lol
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:36 pm

every dance record for the last two decades since Paul Hardcastles 19 and Bambaata's planet funk have had either a roland 808 or 909 on it. And the 303 has also spanned 2 decades.
To say the trance cheese lead is over used may well be a fair comment but its way down the line of genres and sounds.
How about the fact every rock track has got an electric guitar on it?

Totally agree that raw talent is far more usefully than any kit list. Mind I am really enjoying buying and selling on EBay and finding what works for me. I even think talented people work better with certain kit than others. I am trying to maximize what little I have. The only reason I am having a high turn over of syths lately is because im finding the best tools for myself. Once found I doubt ill buy much after that point. Certainly not at the rate Im buying now, but also remember im selling as much as Im buying.
Kola
Regular

PreviousNext