You are here

One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: One do it all mega synth Alesis A6 or a four smaller synths?

Postby flo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:30 pm

Kola wrote:Once found I doubt ill buy much after that point.

LOL
:D
flo
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/schmuckfenster

Postby Kola » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:50 pm

Yeah I thought that when I wrote it but I really do have to draw a line some where. If I make any money (doubtful) then I can put that back into it but until then.

BREAKING NEWS - Got an Andromeda :}

Kola
Regular

VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

Postby flo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:30 pm

Nice!!!

Now you will need a few filter boxes and other outboard FX for that lovely machine. And a patch bay soon. Maybe a cool analogue drum machine, too, for jamming away. Hardware sequencer? aaaah yessss!!!!
:) :) :) :)
flo
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/schmuckfenster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:01 pm

Youzers you look happy lol So how you finding it and more important lets hear somethin :)

Hardware sequencer eh...I already tried to bully him into an MPC and he says he's totaly hooked on Abelton but trust me I think trying an MPC-4000 you would pass out lol
I lovr my MPC-2000xl but I think you would appreciate the 4000 more as it's more computer like and has a huge display
Probs the best hardware sequencer arround with a huge midi resolution that totaly jizzez on the 2000xl
Also has a full blown Z8 inside and back compatible with all S series samples
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:31 am

Youzers you look happy lol So how you finding it and more important lets hear somethin

Im finding it superb. Honestly its called Andromeda because its out of this world. Like I have said many times what is right for one is terrible for another but I have a really good feeling/initial connection with this.

As for you all wanting to hear something, it took me all day yesterday to work out how to set up a multitimbral set up. Ive never had an Alesis before so the OS is totally new to me. I think its gonna take a week to learn my way around it.

I really like the idea if having 16 mono synths all under one hood. Such a space saver and once I could set up one multi part needless to say I could set up the other 15. In other words learn one thing and you done, this is a big thing to me.

Its such a huge synth I won't be qualified to comment of how good or bad it is for around a month as Id guess it will take that long to get my head around. Be a good month though.

So far so very good.

Downsides are I have to sell everything else I own to be able to afford it. Im sure this will be worth it though.

Hardware sequencer eh...I already tried to bully him into an MPC and he says he's totally hooked on Abelton but trust me I think trying an MPC-4000 you would pass out lol
I love my MPC-2000xl but I think you would appreciate the 4000 more as it's more computer like and has a huge display
Probs the best hardware sequencer around with a huge midi resolution that totaly jizzez on the 2000xl
Also has a full blown Z8 inside and back compatible with all S series samples

Yeah, I love ableton. I was brought up on Atari / PC Cubase and Amiga ProTracker and OctaMED so have always been around software sequencers since the late 80's. I did try the Roland w30 as a sequencer but found it very hard to use. Never felt the urge to dabble with hardware again.
I do think it would be worth a ton of Kudos points sequencing with an MPC and using classic samplers as Martin does to a superb effect but I recently tried this with hardware samplers and got nowhere and lost around 200 quid in the process as well as a load of time.

On Ableton, I know a lot of the anoraks look at it like it is a toy and not a 'real' sequencer like Cubase / Logic but I can get some great results with it mainly donw to the clip arrangement. Its like a Sony's Acid but for MIDI data also. Really fits the way I work like a glove.

Biggest downside to any DAW for me is the temptation to just check you Emails which ends up on you farting around on the net for an hour by accident. So much so Ive been thinking if ever I have some more cash I may well just get a totally separate PC and not have the net on my dedicated music PC anymore.
Kola
Regular

VSTi's/DAWs vs "real hardware" is like Virtual Pet vs real dog! No contest - Real every time wins!

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:36 pm

Man I was put off hardware sequencers ever since I had the M1 lol horible nasty piece of poo..only really good as a sketch pad. At the time I thought great if I buy this M1 over the Wavestation I get sequencer and classic sounds lol
As I said I always wanted an MPC but was too chicken [ ****** ] to get one thinking I will suck at it..any way one day I just though [ ****** ] it and brought one...not going back to 100% computer sequencing for some time I can tell you.
As I said the MPC-4000 is more up your street but it does have a learning curve! due to the ammount of things it can do. The 2000XL is sooo easy to use on the other hand both the sampler and sequencer and very fast too, I learnt mine in less than 2 days.
I got this Blofeld all sused out now too...it's great, at first I thought damn this is complex stuff how am I going to get my head round it (I'm less patient now days than I was lol) but it's reall easy and it goes deep which I like, it's what I call semi modular in that it's not but almost due to a nice and big mod matrix.
Already getting some nice evolving sounds out of it.
I wont tell you do dump Abelton for mpc but I would love to see what you think of MPC's so highly recomend at least trying something like the 2000xl
Now you have the Andromeda I see it as you got your main analogue poly and mono...you just need as you said a bread and butter sample synth like those JV's or XV's and imo a waldorf for those lovely wavetable evolving sounds...sample synths are nice but I hade edditing sounds on them, the Waldorf can get simmilar sounds but with full hands on control YES even with 4 knobs lol it's very very well laid out
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:47 pm

Oh yeah you also get comb filters which in essance are the building blocks of phisycal modeling so you can get some very expressive sounds.
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:00 pm

I would give an MPC a try I really would if I knew anyone that would loan me one. But I wouldn't fork out 400 quid just to see.

The next synth I want is a Nord Lead 3. I know, you hate it :D

Thing is though, It's taken me all day yesterday sorting a multitimbral set up out on my Andy. Kept thinking it was the Andy but im fast learning Ableton is full of bugs as far as ext hard synths go. Took me ages to find out why it wouldnt work.

Today has been spent learning how to sync the arp to Ableton which was easy enough if it weren't for my 2 year old time zapper and wife buzzing in my ear. Hopefully this afternoon Ill be able to start and save stuff.

The above are all basic things but all take time non the less.

Hence why I think it great I only have to learn all this stuff once as opposed once for each synth.

I don't think im going to have time for the Nord 3 for quite some time.
Kola
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:57 pm

I would so loan you my MPC but I'd hate to post it and loose it in the mail
Nord Lead 3 eh I thought the Andy would be be all end all analogue in your setup :tongue: Any way I didn't say I hated it (I think lol) I just said I preffered the grittier tone of the Nord Lead 2

We are all after different sounds for sure..I just love the spacy evolving sounds you can get from the Blofeld...I love the totaly non analogue tones in that thing, for analogue I got my juno and jx-3p so everything complements each other really well.
I'm sure you will love the Lead 3, great user interface and some cool sounds also the morph feature is really cool.
These are the kind of smooth digital sounds I like from the Blofeld..just made it this morning lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vq3gVIfyJS0&feature=channel_page
I can listen to that patch I did on loop all day hahahah
But then I loved the moog arps on those Tangerine Dream records hahah bew bew bew bew ba bew lol
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:32 pm

As said mate I am learning as I go here. Ive decided I like a few really powerful synths where as initially I wanted a load of less powerful ones (IE the 101 etc)

I have analog covered as far as I will ever need for a long time with the Andy. Im certain there will be things it can't do as nothing is perfect. But it will take alot of time for me to ever truly master it and thats fine by me.

The reason for wanting a Nord Lead 3 is so compliment the analogue Andy with a Digital something else. Of course I still want it to tick all my boxes mentioned above.
To be honest though Martin im not sure I have enough time to devote to buying anything else yet. I think it would detract from the Andy and I really want to master my kit one by one (like yourself) rather than be like a kid in a sweet shop.

I will get the NL3 but it may be a while off. Sounds mad but if an offer I couldn't refuse came by today Id buy it and keep it boxed for a few months.

You sound made up with your new synth. Thats great, there's nothing better when something fits you like a glove. Its early days for me but at this point this really is how I feel about my new mate Andy.
Kola
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:48 pm

Kola wrote:
I have analog covered as far as I will ever need for a long time with the Andy. Im certain there will be things it can't do as nothing is perfect. But it will take alot of time for me to ever truly master it and thats fine by me.

Excelent stuff mate, master it like a black ninja then blow every ones mind with it lol
The oscilator sync is also cool as it can yeld some cool almost digital in tone. For example I got something that sounds almost the same as solid bass on a dx-100 on my JX-3P using the metal sync
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:07 pm

Hey wan't to know what I hate about the Blofeld? It only came witha PDF manual!! Fortuanatly it's pretty much the same as the Micro Q to use so got on with it quite well.
I hate reading PDF's strains my eyes and I can't read them whie taking a poo hahahah
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:38 am

I don't like PDF's either but understand that there far cheaper for companies to produce.

Also, they don't cost the planet trees.
Kola
Regular

Postby Zukan » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:13 am

Kola wrote:

BREAKING NEWS - Got an Andromeda :}

It's pics like this that make our GS disposition worthwhile.

My name is Zuke and I am a GS.
I've been clean for 3 hours now.
Zukan

Postby Kola » Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:46 pm

Im guessing im the only one who has no clue what GS is? :blush:
Kola
Regular

Postby Kola » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:58 pm

gear slut??
Kola
Regular

Postby vinyl_junkie » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:17 pm

Hahah I was thinking the same thing lol
Back to PDF's
Yeah I can totaly see why they did it and wouldn't moan for the price of the synth but paper is less of an issue than oil :headbang: at least we have re-cyceling and sustainable forests now

At least they give you a quick start paper guide with the synth lol mmmm I wonder what the volume knob does hahah
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Kola » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:35 pm

don't get me wrong mate I totally agree. I much prefer a paper book or anything paper that I have to read.
Kola
Regular

Postby Shreddie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:56 am

Kola wrote:How about the fact every rock track has got an electric guitar on it?
I remember when I said to my old writing partner (who is an ardent metal fan) "how's about we do some metal without the guitars?"

He crapped himself! Then went on a tirade about how synths are too 'plastic'. :roll: About a week later I played him a rough metal track which used nothing but synths/effects and he loved it. :roll:

I'm glad you're happy with your new toy Kola!
Shreddie
Regular

Postby themajorblip » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:23 am

Pete (Conz) Connelly wrote:

I have to say... I owned as SE-1X, sold it for £1200 and replaced it with a Pulse+ for £200 which isn't all that different. The Pulse, IMO, is the better mono-synth. As others have said, you'll know why if you get to play with one. WOW!!!

P

sheesh a couple of years ago I spent some time on this board and I got to regularly read this exact post- and I log in today and there it is again! I hate to say it but you might be in a minority with that opinion...I think most poeple would prefer the SE1x over the Pulse. IMO the Pulse has a hard sterile sound, with an average filter (nothing like a moog) and LFOs that disintegrate quickly on rapid modulation. As fas as I could tell its only redeeming feature was its fast spikey envelopes....
Whereas the SE1x has much bigger phatter VCO Oscillators, and a much juicier proper Moog like filter.
However some people prefer the more modern edgy tone of the Pulse - which is still a good synth in its own right for dance music - and excellent value for money...
themajorblip
Poster

PreviousNext