You are here

Is there really a need for a Dave Smith Mopho or Tetra if already owning a Virus C?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Is there really a need for a Dave Smith Mopho or Tetra if already owning a Virus C?

Postby Remedial » Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:01 pm

I'm kind of stuck here. It's my birthday and I'm considering getting my girlfriend to get me either of these synths. I was also considering an MG-1, but the lack of MIDI is kind of hampering for me.

Now, I know that the Virus C is one of the most revered VA synths ever and I do love it's sound capabilities, but I'm currently underwhelmed by it's capabilities for producing pronounced bass patches.

Honestly, I am new to synth programming, so this plays a large part in this, but, even listening to the presets, none of them "growl" enough for me.

The allure of an all analog signal path is what first attracted me to the Mopho. Then I heard about the Tetra, which is basically 4 Mopho's in one.

But, my question is: Is it worth it if I've already got a Virus C. Will the Tetra or Mopho excel that much in regards to punch and growl that it's worth spending the cash to get either or?

My only question regarding the Tetra and the Mopho is regarding the sub-oscillators. I know that you can only use one sub-oscillator per oscillator, but once I use the one sub-oscillator that is one octave below, can I use again on the next oscillator for that voice? Or am I limited solely to the sub-oscillator that is two octaves below at this point?

Let me know what you guys think.
Remedial
Poster

Re: Is there really a need for a Dave Smith Mopho or Tetra if already owning a Virus C?

Postby Michael Dow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:00 am

Hey i've made some fairly nice bass patches on it (virus C). A little bit of FM can go a long way, and also use of its on-board EQ to beef it up. Perhaps a little bit of unison too? But that can sometimes actually make a bass sound less punchy

I'm not sure really what the mopho has over the virus in sound creation, but im pretty sure it's not as flexible....
The virus has long been known for its "dark" sound, and i reckon this is to do with the way it's intrrnally EQ'd. I bloody love it, but must say i dont use it for bass all that often, but when i have it's been fairly beefy!
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Re: Is there really a need for a Dave Smith Mopho or Tetra if already owning a Virus C?

Postby narcoman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:38 am

Own all of those and all different really. I'm a bit of a believer in an interface "bends" what you do with things - so even though Mopho is much of a mono Prophet 8 I still dont do the same things on both of those units.
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby narcoman » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:39 am

.... and you've a generous girl!!
narcoman
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Battenburg to the power of 20 - said by Richie Royale in a moment of genius. 4pm. Wed 16th Nov 2011. Remember where you were....

Postby Michael Dow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 12:48 am

haha yeah i liked the "considering getting her to get me them"

telling, rather than asking.

Maybe we can learn from you!
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Postby ewe » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:26 am

(from dsi website)"Two sub-octave generators (one octave down and two octaves down) per voice"
You have 2 sub osc's per voice.
ewe
Regular

Postby Wossname » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:01 pm

When you are done with that girlfriend, may I have her?
Wossname
Regular
* wossname * ...if .sig's were fish, this would stink *

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:43 pm

Waldorf Pulse
Roland SH-101, SH-09
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Michael Dow » Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:05 pm

+1 on the sh-09, i have one and it is a bloody dream
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster