You are here

Sampling Keyboard

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Sampling Keyboard

Postby Androo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:42 pm

Im looking for a keyboard which i can sample my vsts like minimoog and mtron for around £500. Ive seen some roland fantom s going for this price, but im a bit concerned that the sampling isnt sufficient for this purpose.

I really dont want many features just the basic sounds im after and something that isnt mega complex to work.
Androo
Regular

Re: Sampling Keyboard

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:04 pm

Androo wrote:Im looking for a keyboard which i can sample my vsts like minimoog and mtron for around £500. Ive seen some roland fantom s going for this price, but im a bit concerned that the sampling isnt sufficient for this purpose.

The Fantom has the best workstation-based sampling, so if the Fantom can't do it I don't know what else can. I use my Fantom to play/trigger samples all of the time, it's not at all complicated and with digital outs it sounds as good as any hardware/rack-based sampler.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:38 pm

Kurzweil K2000. They go for insanely low prices and are capable of what you want and a whole lot more besides. Nice to get one with the sampling option fitted (though that’s not a show-stopper), but make sure it has sample RAM installed.

The operating system can be daunting to the newcomer, but have a little patience and you will begin to realise why lots of us still have K-series synths in our studios, despite all of the newer wizardry available to us.

To be honest, once you hear some of the onboard waveforms and begin to hear what the K2000 is capable of with it’s DSP-generated waveforms you may well find you don’t need to sample that VST Moog emulation after all. My K2000 has been my ‘on-stage MiniMoog’ for many years while the real one stays wrapped up in my studio.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby The Pearl Works » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:41 pm

is there a rack version of the K2000?
The Pearl Works
Regular

Postby Androo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:48 pm

I can never find them anywhere.

I just noticed the microsampler..would that do the trick? As i say i want something relatively easy to sample with and just need the basic sounds.

The other thing i was looking at was the Roland Juno Di because that has a really nice piano sound but no sampling. Im not too keen on the fantoms pianos even though the juno dis sounds are suppost to come from the fantoms engine?!?
Androo
Regular

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Androo wrote: The other thing i was looking at was the Roland Juno Di because that has a really nice piano sound but no sampling. Im not too keen on the fantoms pianos even though the juno dis sounds are suppost to come from the fantoms engine?!?

The Juno piano comes from the X-series of the Fantom, the S-series Fantom's you mentioned don't have the same quality sounds as the later range.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby Androo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:12 pm

Ok. Do you work for roland?

Is there any limitations in using the fantom s series or x6 even for sampling vsts as i said? I understand sampling piano vsts wont work as well but can i just play mellotron moog etc normally by sampling on a fantom?
Androo
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:16 pm

The Pearl Works wrote:is there a rack version of the K2000?
Yep - K2000R.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Androo wrote:I can never find them anywhere.

It's rare there isn't at least one on eBay. There's one from the States at the moment. Mine recently went for less than 200 quid - a steal IMO. I only sold it to replace it with a K2600.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:20 pm

Androo wrote:Ok. Do you work for roland?

Is there any limitations in using the fantom s series or x6 even for sampling vsts as i said? I understand sampling piano vsts wont work as well but can i just play mellotron moog etc normally by sampling on a fantom?

No, I don't work for Roland, I just happen to use Roland's in my live rigs.

If the mellotron (or indeed any other sound you want to use) is in a traditional sampled format, i.e. wav/aiff, you can load them into the Fantom via the SD and then simply play them as you'd play any other sound. Once loaded into the Fantom that choosen sound would be available in the same way as any of the other onboard sounds.

For example, I have loaded quite a few brass instruments into my Fantom, from sample-based CD's, and within the Fantom I have created brass ensembles using these samples. I play the ensembles in the same way as I'd play a single onboard sound; it's very simple.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:23 pm

EMU E4K /E4K Turbo
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby hollowsun » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:35 pm

An Alesis Fusion if you can find one. They go for less than the £500 you're looking at and come with a VA synth, FM synth and sampler as standard.

There's one on FleaBay at the moment - currently at £200

You will find that it already has Tron sounds and maybe Moog-alikes that will suit you.
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ken long » Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:50 pm

Ensoniq ASR-10. Great features, effects and re-sampling routing.

ken
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby MarkOne » Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:03 pm

+1 for the Alesis Fusion.

It's a proper grown-up sampler allowing you to map multisamples across the keyboard, velocity switch between them for multiple layers, etc, etc, and it comes with a disc drive so you have all your stuff to hand.

And as Steve points out, the Tron's it comes with are rather tasty.

Being as it also has a VA synth, it will do most of your Moog type sounds rather well with a bit of tweaking.
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby Androo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:16 pm

okay whats the difference between the alesis 6hd and 8hd? the music king have some available.
Androo
Regular

Postby beatmunga » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:52 pm

ken long wrote:Ensoniq ASR-10. Great features, effects and re-sampling routing.

ken

Second that Ken. Likewise the earlier EPS 16+. The effects are similar to the highly regarded Ensoniq DP4 I believe (Daft Punk's fave phaser).

Otherwise, I used to have an Akai S1000KB - the shop was giving it away as no-one wanted this huge white beast but I thought it was lovely. Would look great live - you could stand on it!
beatmunga
Regular

Postby one_ninehundred » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Androo wrote:okay whats the difference between the alesis 6hd and 8hd? the music king have some available.

Principally, the 6hd is a 61 note synth action, and the 8hd is an 88 note fully weighted.

Certainly no difference in sounds or software, and I don't think there was any difference in HD size either (I'm sure someone can correct me if otherwise!)
one_ninehundred
Poster

Postby Guido3 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:47 pm

Androo wrote:okay whats the difference between the alesis 6hd and 8hd? the music king have some available.

6hd = 61 note synth keybed
8hd - 88 note fully weighted keybed
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby hollowsun » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:26 pm

As mentioned, keyboard size only. Everything else is identical

Are you sure that Music king actually have any in stock? It was discontinued a while back and I am pretty sure that every one of the last stock that arrived in the UK was sold (in fact, at the time of discontinuation, they were - ironically - flying off the shelves!) so I am doubtful they have any. I found the page and I think that's an old one that's not been updated/removed.

But give 'em a call - you never know!
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Shreddie » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:29 am

Another vote for the Fusion here. You'll be hard pushed to find a better sampling synth for the price. Incredibly well specified.

Androo wrote:and I don't think there was any difference in HD size either (I'm sure someone can correct me if otherwise!)
Earlier Fusions (both models) shipped with a 40gig HD. When Alesis could no longer get those they fitted 80gig drives instead. In reality, 40gig is way more than most people will need. Drive replacement is fairly easy as long as you know what you are doing but the maximum size the Fusion can take is 120gig... Any bigger and it just won't work.

If you use samples alot, the memory expansions may be useful though most users don't have any trouble without them.
Shreddie
Regular

Next