You are here

Synth Britannia (BBC 4)

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Synth Britannia (BBC 4)

Postby beatmunga » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:17 pm

Richard Graham wrote: I don't need approval from someone who thinks the word 'rockist' is rather a clever put-down.

I get the impression that you are a bit of an elitist, BM!

Sorry RG, I childishly slipped in the 'rockist' bit because you'd already admitted it winds you up...

I think it's a bit pretentious too for what it's worth. I usually say 'greaser' but many find this more offensive!

I'm sure you are neither.

As regards being an elitist, I feel I'm quite the opposite when it comes to music. I'm a populist.

As the documentary clearly points out, synth pop was relatively democratic in its creation - a logical progression from Punk's DIY ethic.

The repercussions of that are still being felt, for better or worse...
beatmunga
Regular

Postby beatmunga » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:22 pm

---------------------------------- wrote:I like the synth sounds and stuff but all the singing was absolutely diabolical. What was that 'camp' singing style all about?

A generation growing up with David Bowie and Bryan Ferry, basically... the standard for male 80s UK pop vocals:

Before they were famous: Ricky Gervais

Amusing
beatmunga
Regular

Postby Ralphr » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:54 pm

hollowsun wrote:
Guy7 wrote:I have just finished watching it and found it fantastic viewing. Some of the music played from the late 70's was seriously left-field!!!

I got a bit annoyed at the end when the likes of Howard Jones and the Thompson Twins got totally discounted and pigeon holed as pointless synth pop. Whilst not synth pioneers like some of the others, each had a role to play in the emergance of synth music to the masses. Especially Howard Jones IMHO.

Oh and where was Thomas Dolby? He was one of the early brigade.
+1 on all the above.

The whole program seemed to just grind to a halt in the mid-80s and just dismissed the likes of (as you say) Howard Jones, Dolby, The Thompsons but also Nik Kershaw, Japan, Freur (who went on to become Underworld), Fashion and many others (including - to a degree - Peter Gabriel and arguably Trevor Horn) who were all doing great stuff with the emerging synth, sampler and sequencing gear of the time ... even the much-maligned Stock, Aitken and Waterman.

Fantastic to see Fashion mentioned, I was fortunate enough in the early eighties to be a friend of one of their management team & got to go to many of their shows as a guest I distinctly remember meeting certain support bands Kajagoogoo, Frankie Goes to Hollywood & King!!! Not to bad pedigree!
Ralphr

Postby Guido3 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Guy7 wrote:

And here's the evidence.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcP2AW9JQgY

A very interesting bloke indeed.
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Postby tea for two » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:36 pm

Guy7 wrote:
Guy7 wrote:

And here's the evidence.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcP2AW9JQgY

A very interesting bloke indeed.

0.12 : "i started doing this stuff in the 70's there were very few of us doing it back then, mainly cause this kit was so expensive"

Damn right Bro.
Charlotte Rampling bought JMJs synths for him for Oxygene as JMJ was pretty much broke.

Affordability is why nowadays get so many interesting EM. Still having a dictionary doesn't necessarily = tonnes of Dickens

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOgDGoSYMd0&feature=related

cool how he builds it live & the MLK extract for poignancy.

tea for two
Frequent Poster
Our purpose is unique to us, just as meaning of our life is unique to us. Thus should be obvious there is no universal purpose. There is no universal meaning of life. 

Postby Guido3 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:55 pm

He is facinating to see live. I saw him during the Sole Inhabitant tour in 2007. His stories are amazing. A typical example is............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sk1c9N3ZuM
Guido3
Regular
And Bagpuss, once he was asleep, was just a saggy old cloth cat.

Previous