You are here

Any tips on getting this synth sound?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Any tips on getting this synth sound?

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:00 pm

I know it's an easy'ish sound but I'm having a bit of difficulty nailing it.
The track is "Love Club - Hot Summer Nights" from 1983
And I'm regarding to that synth chord sound that comes in all the time. To me it sounds like a saw and a square with it's PW set so the square is narrow, not sure if it's modulated and the mod wheel is adding LFO modulation to the OSC's, not sure if the filter is modulated by the ENV's.
I got close on my Roland JX-3P but the modulation and sound just doesnt sound that rich.
I'm off to give it a go on my Micro Q, as for the Juno 1 I don't think it would be any good at that sound.

Here is the track:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG5AwOjhcks&feature=related
Unrelated but the bass reminds me of a SCI Pro One

Any thoughts
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Re: Any tips on getting this synth sound?

Postby chris... » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:17 pm

Yep - heavy use of modwheel, as a part of the performance - like every other 80s track ;)
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Neil C » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Yes, very 80's.
Neil C
Regular

Postby Chaconne » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:04 am

Nice track - been listening to a lot of stuff like that recently - sort of 'after disco before house' - often hear some nice bass programming.

Anyhoo - I can get close to this sound by getting the mod wheel to get the pitch mod increasing as its pushed up / left whatever. This is often the default setting of course on a lot of sounds.

Forget the nature of the actual sound, the art is bending the mod wheel with the beat - i.e as the last chord is held, push up the lever so the vibrato ramps up as the chord sustains, then let go for the next chord.

make sense? Its a playing trick really requiring a good sense of timing the vibrato intensity with the phrasing.

I'm getting better at it, and obviously how the mod wheel is set up, i.e how much vibrato you get at its end stop is gonna be important. You can program an LFO delay of course, so the chords initially play clean, but that delay is going to change depending on the phrasing and rythym, thats why its better to do it manually with the wheel/ lever.
Chaconne
Frequent Poster

Postby Michael Dow » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:24 am

THe juno 60 is king for this kind of sound. The LFO trigger button is mega handy for activating the wobble whenever you like on a chord just like in this track

Id say its probabaly a juno, which means you could get very close with your jx i should think.

Get the pulse on the LFO with about mid pulse width setting, turn on the sub osc, have the saw on too fo a little thickening

Does the jx have chorus? Thatll be essential to the sound too. The juno's chorus is to die for!
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster

Postby Michael Dow » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:25 am

Ive got a very similar sound from my mks-50 before too. Which is the alpha juno 2. so a juno 1 might be able to do it
Michael Dow
Frequent Poster