You are here

Hohner Strings Melody1 Setup

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Hohner Strings Melody1 Setup

Postby Ian Trucker » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:32 pm

Hi! I`ve got one post for the Logan but I thought I`d include the Hohner which is virtually the same synth. I have just purchased a Logan Strings Melody 1 off Ebay which had a number of faults including one of the SAJ210 frequency diver IC`s where a bank of F# had gone down plus various 1N4148 diodes on the lower board causing notes to play continuously plus a number of 10uF 16V caps causing notes not to sustain. I sorted all these problems now however, the previous owner has fitted an internal phaser and connected it in series with the two horizontal and two vertical pots that adjust the chorus sound to the strings . I`ve tried to adjust them by trial and error but it still sounds VERY electronic and Synthetic and I know how these awsome machines should sound . I have a Logan Strings Melody 2 at my other venue where I work which I`ve had from new and never been adjusted, This synth sounds absolutely fantastic . I have an oscilloscope to check the waveforms but I would like some info on how to set up these pots , I don`t want to interfere with my melody 2 but I`ve thought of trying to get the pots in the same position as my good synth . Also, the previous owner has used quite long thin unshielded wires to and from the pots , I`ve thought of disconnecting these to see if they could be providing inductance between them and the other wires which feed the attack and delay sliders . He`s used the Orchestra switch and installed a minature switch to turn the two chorus effects on and off . Have you any gen on how to setup these pots please . Only for these pots, the synth now works perfectly . Sincerely Ian
Ian Trucker
Poster

Re: Hohner Strings Melody1 Setup

Postby Ian Trucker » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:03 pm

I`m duplicating what I`ve put down for the Logan!!!!! Just letting you know, I`m going to perform some voltage comparisons with my DVM and write down the results between the two synths and get them to approximately the same voltages and probably remove all the wiring just in case there is some kind of inductive reactance going on between the chorus connecting wires and the supply / sustain / delay / chrorus control wires. Wish me luck, Ian
Ian Trucker
Poster

Postby The Elf » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:26 pm

I'd just like to add a thanks for documenting these efforts. I'll admit the inner workings of such machines are pretty much a closed book to me, but it's good to know there are people out there who understand and undertake this type of maintenance/repair work.

So, in the absence of any other responses to the same effect - thanks! And keep up the good work.

The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Ian Trucker » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:40 pm

If I can help anyone to keep these old girls running, I`ll do my damndest to help. I love these keyboards, to me, they`re the best. The strings sounds on my M1 sounds too clinical, they`ve tried too hard to replocate the string being played by the bow, the sound when played as part of a piece of music sounds horrible compared to the mellow sound of the logan. The logan sounds just like the strings in Barry Whites Loves Theme and Elton Johns Philedalphia freedom where the strings play the two quavers over the horns linking the chorus back to the verse. All the artiste that I back at the two venues always comment on how good the strings sound. Esspecially now where I`ve purchased a Helicon Harmony M which is MIDI`d up to my M1 giving them fantastic 3rd/5th upper and lower harmonies. Keep in touch. All the best, Ian Tel 07732 107 438
Ian Trucker
Poster

Postby Ian Trucker » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:51 pm

Just duplicating what I`ve wrote against the Logan!!!!!! Listen to this, this is similar to what my Logan sounds like when I play these particular pieces of superb music, Fabulous: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHmsEoLsL0 And this one, I LOVE IT: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZk5a0-6P9I Enjoy, Ian
Ian Trucker
Poster

Postby Ian Trucker » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:56 pm

I wish I could find a guitarist with a Wah! Wah! pedal in the background of Barry White`s loves Theme, that would be awsome just for this one song!!!!! Ian
Ian Trucker
Poster

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Sat Jan 02, 2010 5:22 pm

It's all interesting stuff... but I don't think we need the duplication.

The Logan thread can be found HERE

And I'm locking this thread to remove the confusion/duality.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound