You are here

The world's gone digital mellotron crazy!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

The world's gone digital mellotron crazy!

Postby ramthelinefeed » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:43 pm

Yeah but look what http://mellotron.com/digital-mellotron.html are gonna be showing at NAMM....

Memotron eat your heart out! :headbang:
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)
A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with!

Re: The world's gone digital mellotron crazy!

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:50 pm

I love the fact they've made this, and it appeals to the trainspotter in me... but no matter what the control system I wouldn't want to go back to trusting tapes! What's inside the box?

Isn't it bloomin' gorgeous, though? 8-)
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ramthelinefeed » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:51 pm

it's a sample-based mellotron, I believe - no tapes inside!
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:52 pm

NOW I'm interested!!! Where do I queue - and with how many internal organs? :crazy:
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby tomafd » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:25 pm

Hmmm... much as I love hardware, that thing takes up too much space for what it does- I'll stick to the software versions !
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby ramthelinefeed » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:34 pm

Phillistine!

Anyway, it you're gigging, you need a keyboard to play any VSTi ... looks like an ideal way to play one!
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby hollowsun » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:06 pm

That looks gorgeous ... and top marks to Mellotron for adapting to the times. I hope it does well for them.
hollowsun
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby forumuser695516 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:32 pm

forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby ramthelinefeed » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:40 pm

~Paul wrote:Looks nice, but.. Beaten to their own game to some extent..
<a href="/SOS/oct07/articles/mellotronm4000.htm" target="_blank">http://www.soundonsound.com/SOS/oct07/articles/mellotronm4000.htm</a>
http://www.manikin-electronic.com/en/products_memotron.html

Paul

I *know*, that's why I titled the thread "the world's got digital mellotron CRAZY" - it's the 3rd digital mellotron product in 6 months (there's an iPhone app as well!)
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:44 am

feline1 wrote:it's a sample-based mellotron, I believe - no tapes inside!

The Elf wrote:NOW I'm interested!!! Where do I queue - and with how many internal organs? :crazy:

Now you've completely lost me Elf - if it's playing back samples, why buy a (probably) expensive box when you could use a softsampler playing back exactly the same samples using your own choice of controller keyboard? :headbang:

Have I missed something here, or are people prepared to pay loads extra for the nostalgia factor? :beamup:

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:50 am

Martin Walker wrote:Now you've completely lost me Elf - if it's playing back samples, why buy a (probably) expensive box when you could use a softsampler playing back exactly the same samples using your own choice of controller keyboard? :headbang:
Oh, I know, I know, but it just looks so alluring - it LOOKS like a Mellotron!

I can be a shallow creature sometimes. :blush: ;)

But I suspect you're right about the price. Back to MTron for me...
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:59 am

So what we really want is a retro, Mellotron-styled USB/midi keyboard for driving your laptop (or Receptor,etc) and for looking cool. Something like the Memotron but without the gubbins inside. Do that at a realistic price and I'd be happy.

Time to try dropping a couple of hints to some manufacturers methinks!

;)
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby tomafd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:51 am

Martin Walker wrote:
Have I missed something here, or are people prepared to pay loads extra for the nostalgia factor? :beamup:

Martin

Yup, though not me, in this case. (Hence all the noise on that other thread about the Hammond Novachord (or something) from 1939 - yep, it's interesting(ish) and makes a nice enough noise (tho a little work with any bunch of sawtooth waveforms and some detuning/reverbs would get you pretty close) but there are folk who are quite happy spending years with a soldering iron to restore them, and end up sounding like a flash/weird version of a Solina strings.... but in a nice, big, polished wooden case with big black switches on it. Which weighs a ton or so. I have enormous respect for the restorers, but it's not something I'd ever want to do ...)

And so to these new big white boxes that look and sound like big white boxes from the 'golden age' of prog rock. Yes, the functionality probably won't offer much beyond Mtron, really, but it's perfect for those folk for whom functionality may not be as important as the feeling they'd get playing one of those things while wearing a big cape.

The question is - which is more important ? The actual musical result, or the feeling you get playing some big box ? For me it's both, but weighted towards the former- and I don't have the money, or space, to allow the latter to get in the way too much ! :beamup:
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby MarkOne » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:58 am

Martin Walker wrote:

Martin

I guess standing tall, in a spangly cape with hands poised over some Edirol or M-Audio plasticky POS USB'd up to a macbook witn M-Tron running on it just doesn't cut it. It might SOUND the same but, hey what price IMAGE? :lol:

I mean... A stratocaster or a RIcky 4001 probably don't HAVE to be that shape to make *that* sound, or one quite like it... :headbang: :bouncy:
MarkOne
Frequent Poster
Debut Album 'Fantasy Bridge' available now!

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:15 pm

Done properly, a digital Mellotron would not purely be a sample playback device in a pretty box.

Here’s the device I fantasize about (and would love to think this new Mellotron is)...

Contains EVERY tape bank from the history of the Chamberlain//Mellotron (all versions). All of them freely available/mixable/splittable. The ‘tapes’ would exhibit some random fluctuations, like real tape.

The keyboard would be VERY responsive, just like the real thing:
It would allow me to fade notes in (with the attendant pitch flutter) by building pressure at the start of a note.
It would let me use pressure to alter the tone of the note.
It would generate the ‘spit’ at the start of a note when I hit it hard.

Done cleverly it would be possible to model all of the subtleties (some desirable and others not) of the real thing – all without having to get out the bicycle repair kit every 12 minutes to keep the real thing running.

And that is what I dream of when I’m not saving the cheerleader.

Oh, and it should come with a free cape – extra small, please.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby easily confused » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:16 pm

I keep planning to make an aesthetically pleasing wood & metal case to put my USB controller keyboard and macbook in for onstage use, to make them look a bit more appealing.
Haven't got round to it yet, just need to tinker a bit more with my perpetual motion device, then finish off that gun I designed for shooting down flying pigs by the light of a blue moon, as well as put the finishing touches to my online calendar which automatically adjusts to a month of sundays, and allows for the 12th of Never.
There's nothing as satisfying a "To Do" list.
easily confused
Regular

Postby TheChorltonWheelie » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:53 pm

Martin Walker wrote:Have I missed something here, or are people prepared to pay loads extra for the nostalgia factor? :beamup:

The Mellotron is horrid-looking, I cannot imagine why anyone would want to take one on stage (as if any audience would even give a toss if they saw one), let alone feel that the original item would be better than a sample-based version.
TheChorltonWheelie
Frequent Poster

Postby tomafd » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:20 pm

The Elf wrote:

Oh, and it should come with a free cape – extra small, please.

Suits you, sir ?

:bouncy:
tomafd
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:39 pm

They were hard times and I needed the money. :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ramthelinefeed » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:45 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
feline1 wrote:it's a sample-based mellotron, I believe - no tapes inside!

The Elf wrote:NOW I'm interested!!! Where do I queue - and with how many internal organs? :crazy:

Now you've completely lost me Elf - if it's playing back samples, why buy a (probably) expensive box when you could use a softsampler playing back exactly the same samples using your own choice of controller keyboard? :headbang:

Martin

Martin,
my reasoning would be:
- I don't have a laptop and soundcard I can gig with
- I don't have a Muse Receptor hardware VSTi player I can gig with
- On stage, as a keyboard player, I usually need a couple of different sounds per song, and typically about a dozen different sounds per gig. If these all have to be crammed onto a single controller keyboard, it is not only often a horrid squish to fit them across 76 keys, it is also a total pain in the ass to have to program all the keyboard splits in advance. It is annoying in band practices cos the guitarist can try out a new idea in 10 seconds by stomping on a pedal, but I usually have to faff around for 10 minutes and then say "oh, I'll have it sorted for next week" then spend an hour at home programming it properly...

....so, having a single dedicated mellotron keyboard, which doesn't have to be programmed, split, faffed with, doesn't take minutes to boot up or load its samples, but instead just turns on and works and MAKES MELLOTRON SOUNDS
means it is an extremely useful practical MUSICAL INSTRUMENT for gigging with.

If all people ever do is d1ck about in their bedroom studios, then I agree, who needs a hardware mellotron VSTi. But for a gigging musician it is very practical.
And it looks nice.
ramthelinefeed
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Next