You are here

Innovative sounds & recording methods

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Innovative sounds & recording methods

Postby Folderol » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:13 pm

Has possibilities that one.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.
Onwards and... err... sideways!

Postby Arpangel » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:32 am

Martin Walker wrote:OK, an update for this long-running thread is long overdue.

Sonic creature: melodic harp circuit sculpture

Built by Helen Leigh, this creature is a melodic harp circuit sculpture designed and built in 12 hours at a hack session with some other electronic music nerd friends. The first prototype was made at Music Tech Fest Frankfurt, then it was made a bit less scruffy (and a lot less prone to crashing) in the little workshop in the corner of Helen's kitchen in Berlin.

"Andrew Hockey designed the sound. It is tuned to C harmonic minor and has a three octave range from left to right.

Materials: steel wire, solder and paper.
Technologies: Capacitive Touch, Bela, BeagleBone Black and Pure Data."

Look and listen here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqhyhH7 ... e=youtu.be

It both looks and sounds gorgeous, and if like me you'd like to find out more, click here: https://doitkits.com/portfolio-item/son ... creatures/

The website name suggests that it may be available in kit form, although I couldn't find details.

Martin

That’s really beautiful, but.....
It’s got me thinking about a possible polyphonic Theremin? Using metal tendrils instead of just one aerial, that's actually what I thought this was.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)
https://anthonyflynn.bandcamp.com/album/toy-town

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:50 pm

Arpangel wrote:That’s really beautiful, but.....
It’s got me thinking about a possible polyphonic Theremin? Using metal tendrils instead of just one aerial, that's actually what I thought this was.

Given the difficulty of playing a monophonic Theremin, I would personally have thought playing a polyphonic one well nigh impossible :headbang:

I'd love someone to prove me wrong though ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ian Shaw » Sat Apr 11, 2020 4:11 pm

I once turned a field recoding of the waves rolling up on a local beach into an impulse response. After linking several mic leads together I managed get a mic in the back of my next door neighbour's antique harmonium. I fired up Logic to record the whole thing, ran next door and randomly played some notes for a bit. I couldn't hear the results but when I replayed the whole thing I had a 10 minute ambient piece which sounded fab! I seem to have lost that spirit of adventure.
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:40 pm

Ah yes, using the sound of moving water as an impulse response for reverb - I did this once as the climax of an SOS talk I gave entitled 'Convolution - Beyond Reverb' at a London Music Show, and the result was quite a few jaws dropping! ;)

Wonderful sound combination!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:54 pm

SWEDISH HARPBASS - ELECTROMAGNETIC PREPARED DOUBLE BASS

"Joel Illerhag is a student at the Advanced Post Graduate Diploma project(solistlinjen) at the Rythmic Music Conservatory in Copenhagen.

He is working at a project called The Electromagnetically-Prepared Double bass with 39 sympathetic strings(with the new name “The Swedish Harp Bass”)

The aim of this project is to produce acoustic sound from a musical instrument without loudspeakers using electromagnets.

The electromagnets can be controlled external via audio, midi and motion sensors. The project includes 3D-design, electronics, music and instrument-building in carbon fiber. Joel wants to be in front of a new musical expression that opens up new musical shapes and ways of thinking compositions while pursuing his original mission of the music: speaking to the hearts of people."

Now listen to it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEwMkSKlaIA

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby blinddrew » Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:44 pm

But how long does it take to tune? ;)
blinddrew
Jedi Poster
Ignore the post count, I have no idea what I'm doing...

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:41 pm

blinddrew wrote:But how long does it take to tune? ;)

The two key words here are "sympathetic strings" - within reason they could be tuned to any notes, as long as some of them vibrated in sympathy with others ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:16 pm

Kyoka experimenting with resonance as visible pattern at EMS, Stockholm

Kyoka is a Berlin-based artist known for her chaotic and direct musical approach and a heavy-rough sound, resulting in a broken pop-beat with experimental yet danceable rhythms.

Fascinating stuff!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:49 pm

I've seen this sort of thing done before, only with fine sand on a tray above the speaker. You get some fascinating patterns.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:00 pm

Folderol wrote:I've seen this sort of thing done before, only with fine sand on a tray above the speaker. You get some fascinating patterns.

Yep. So have I, for instance:

Cymatics: Chladni Plate - Sound, Vibration and Sand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFAcYruShow

However, what intrigued me about this one was that the different dimensions of the various 'water trays' were resulting in very different interference patterns. I bet if you took this to a logical conclusion and 'layered' the water trays once above the other and lit them from below you could create some stunning almost kaleidoscopic patterns.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:33 pm

Yes, good point. Following on from that pass white light through at just the right angles and I expect you could get some rather beautiful prismatic colours too.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 16, 2020 6:39 pm

::vtol:: motorgan

It's strange how small electric motors are beginning to pop up in various sonic devices recently, but here's an interesting one created by our old friend ::vtol:: a couple of years ago.

"Motorgan is an electromagnetic/electromechanical organ based on 3 dc motors of different size. The speed of each motor is controlled by voltage changes via touch keyboard with 24 keys. Keyboard is split into 3 parts (registers) for each motor, so it's possible to play chords/polyphonic lines by taking one note from each register. Electromagnetic fluctuations produced by motors are picked up with a single coil guitar pickup. It's possible to tune every key using potentiometers, to make any kind of music by tuning the combinations. It's not the easiest instrument to play and it takes some time to adapt to it."

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:19 pm

Reminds me of when people would play tunes on dot-matrix printers.

Like this!

Spoiler alert!
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
;
:
:
;
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
:
;
:
:
You can get 8 note chords because there are 8 pins. You set the printer into graphics mode, then send dot data at the maximim pin rate/distance. You are sending all 8 pins at the same time, simply not firing them so often for lower pitch.
Folderol
Jedi Poster

Postby Ian Shaw » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:55 am

Hi All
This post has prompted me to hastily put up a Bandcamp site featuring my more experimental stuff, as, like others, I have no work at the moment.
So far I have put up one track that was made entirely from photo & image files from various places.More to follow. Here it is if anyone is interested:

https://shadowofmyformerself.bandcamp.com/releases
Ian Shaw
Regular
Sent by carrier pigeon

PreviousNext