You are here

Append Silence

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Append Silence

Postby Furiusd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:28 pm

Hello,

I'm looking for a piece of software/plugin which allows me to add silence to the start and end of a number of files. I have a huge batch of files which need this silence added. I would have though this would be a simple task to automate butI can't see anything online which allows this. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks.
Furiusd
Poster

Re: Append Silence

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:53 pm

Various stereo editors include batch functions, such as Wavelab, which has quite an extensive Batch Processing capabilities.

I don't know of any standalone utilities that add silence though, although I do remember one that automatically strips silence from files.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Furiusd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:02 pm

Yeah Wavelab is great use it all the time, it's batch processing such a help. However, I can't find a plugin i can use in Wavelab. It's insert silence overwrites the beginning and end of tracks (and is a bit hit and miss with it's level detection in my experience), and I can't find a VST to use in it's batch processor. I looked into MP3-style appending software for appending tracks, but there was not batch function on any i could see...
Furiusd
Poster

Postby Dynamic Mike » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:03 am

I think we used this http://www.download3000.com/download-join-merge-combine-multiple-or-two-mp3-files-count-reg-19054.html at work to add a disclaimer to a batch of information files. I'm not sure if it'll do what you're after because I wasn't really involved & only noticed it because I use AVS4You video player.
Dynamic Mike
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby wave1 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:55 am

Haven't tried this but could you have a file which consists of silence which you could append (rather than editing the file to insert silence)?
wave1
Regular

Postby Furiusd » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:41 am

Thanks for the ideas, that software would be ideal if it could do batches. I've got hundreds of files that need silence added, so if I'm going down the join silence->file->silence route I'd need something that can do this process hundreds of times. I'm quite surprised nothing like this has been created!
Furiusd
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:10 pm

Just a thought, but you haven't told us why you need to add silence to the beginning and end of your hundreds of samples.

Since most sound designers spend lots of time stripping such extraneous data from their creations, let us know why you need to do the opposite and it might suggest another approach.

Oh, and if you don't mind I'd like to move this thread into our new Keyboards | Synthesizers | Sound Design forum, since it's just the sort of query that could benefit other sound designers!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby dmills » Sat Jan 23, 2010 8:01 pm

Sox will do this with the pad option.

something like:

sox source.wav dest.wav pad 1.5

should add 1.5 seconds of silence at the start. Giving pad two parameters will add silence at the start and end and giving it something of the form [email]1.5@3:00[/email] will insert 1.5 seconds of silence at 3 minutes.

Combine with whatever your command shell uses for looping over a set of files to complete the job (I understand that windows 7 actually has a sane command shell).

HTH.

Regards, Dan.
dmills
Frequent Poster

Audiophiles use phono leads because they are unbalanced people!

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi Dan,

Well i had to Google that, and I'm glad I did:

"Sound eXchange, abbreviated SoX, is a free cross-platform digital audio editor, licensed under the GNU General Public License, and distributed by Chris Bagwell through SourceForge.net. SoX is written in standard C, and has a command line interface."

"SoX is a cross-platform (Windows, Linux, MacOS X, etc.) command line utility that can convert various formats of computer audio files in to other formats. It can also apply various effects to these sound files, and, as an added bonus, SoX can play and record audio files on most platforms."

http://sox.sourceforge.net/

I'm downloading it here for a close look.

Many thanks for the link Dan! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Furiusd » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:30 am

Thanks guys, I'll look into this now. Migh be just what I need.
I'm editing voice, and for the purposes of a batch process to be applied at a later date I need a pad of 10ms at the start and end of each file.

Cheers
Furiusd
Poster

Postby Furiusd » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:20 pm

I've been playing around with it, it seems just what I need. Thanks for bringing this to my attention. Howver I'm not quite getting to grips with the syntax. Using the Batch Example given in the (windows) download.

I have amended the command line to add a 0.1sec pad to the start and end of the line, eg:

---start of Code---

rem Example of how to do batch processing with SoX on MS-Windows.
rem
rem Place this file in the same folder as sox.exe (& rename it as appropriate).
rem You can then drag and drop a selection of files onto the batch file (or
rem onto a `short-cut' to it).
rem
rem In this example, the converted files end up in a folder called `converted',
rem but this, of course, can be changed, as can the parameters to the sox
rem command.

cd %~dp0
mkdir converted
FOR %%A IN (%*) DO sox %%A "converted/%%~nxA" pad 0.1 0.1
pause

---End of Code---

However when I run it, i get the message "sox is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program, or batch file."

I've kept the .bat in the same folder as the sox.exe as instructed. Am I missing a step here?

Thanks,

Duncan
Furiusd
Poster