You are here

Over-sensitive Kurzweil keyboard?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Over-sensitive Kurzweil keyboard?

Postby The Elf » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:13 pm

I’ve had my K2600X for a while now. Admittedly I didn’t want a weighted keyboard (or even a semi-weighted keyboard, as this is), but it was the right machine at the right price and I liked the idea of the extra keys as a trade-off. I felt I could live with it, and that’s pretty much been the case. However…

One thing that continues to irk me (“I’m irked!”) is the keyboard’s overly-sensitive aftertouch. Now matter how lightly I play it the keyboard generates bucket-loads of aftertouch data. It’s become part of my process that I have to delete it all each time I record a part.

The aftertouch, when I do choose to use it, is also a bit ‘lumpy’. Under pressure it seems to go nothing… nothing… not much… tiny amount… FULL ON! Some keys are better than others, but the pattern is reasonably consistent.

I’ve tried all of the aftertouch response maps and nothing seems to help. Is it likely I just have a duff machine, or is this behaviour familiar to other owners?

If the consensus is that an engineer is needed, then is there anyone within an hour’s drive of Sheffield that I can take it to, rather than trust it to the horrors of a delivery van?
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: Over-sensitive Kurzweil keyboard?

Postby Dave B » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:41 pm

I know that it's a bit of hair trigger on my PC3 so I do wonder if it is a Kurzweil thing. So much so that I need to turn it off on a couple of patches otherwise I get silly changes in volume!

;)

Although I don't remember it being excessively bad on the K2000....

Mind you, it's better to have it and turn it down than to need a small articulated lorry's worth of pressure to get it going! Which is how every JD800 I've ever owned and played has been.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:08 pm

Hi Elf!

I've found aftertouch very variable between makes and models. On my CME UF8 it's fairly good, but the best remains that of my Korg M1, which allowed very smooth and progressive 'digging in' for maximum expression.

However, I suspect that between samples of a particular make and model the variations are fairly small, so perhaps this on/off character is endemic to the Kurzweil K2600X?

Any other owners care to chip in?

Edit: Ah, you just did Dave 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby un_quantized » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:06 pm

chipping in...

My K2k is the same Elf.

It's on a real hair trigger. I can't remember if I tried changing the settings on the keyboard itself, usually I just filter it out in the software or delete it afterwards.

It is a mild annoyance though, and while I don't do any live stuff these days it would be a real pain if I did as I'd have to program it out of all the patches i wanted to use as the behaviour is very unpredictable.

I'd be interested to hear if there is a fix
un_quantized
Regular

Postby TBTS » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:31 pm

what DAW are you using?

i don't know about others, but you can set up a midi filter in the environment for logic, stopping, and say, make it ignore aftertouch data if its below 30 or so (or whichever works best), that way it would be highly unlikely that you'd ever see the aftertouch data unless you really wanted it.

of course if you wanted to you could remove the aftertouch data completely using the filter, and just remove the filter from the flow when you wish to use it.
TBTS
Regular

Apple Certified Technician + songwriter ** Shiny New Website with new music, videos etc... **
http://www.turnbacktospring.com

Postby Stephen Parker » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:04 pm

it's a long time since I distributed them, but it defianately shouldn't be that severe - from recall, the aftertouch was quite progressive and it shouldn't behave as described.

It may well need looking at by an engineer - I believe those models used a Fatar bed, and they should be relatively easy to check - the fun part is taking the keyboard apart to get to it, which is a bit of a nightmare - if you do it yourself, check online for user experience on the correct way to take it apart - it's been too long for me to remember properly.

I don't know of an engineer in your area, but check with Sound Technology as they may know of someone near you.

Steve Parker
2twenty2
Stephen Parker
Regular

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:18 pm

TBTS wrote:what DAW are you using?

i don't know about others, but you can set up a midi filter in the environment for logic, stopping, and say, make it ignore aftertouch data if its below 30 or so (or whichever works best), that way it would be highly unlikely that you'd ever see the aftertouch data unless you really wanted it.

of course if you wanted to you could remove the aftertouch data completely using the filter, and just remove the filter from the flow when you wish to use it.
Thanks for the response and advice.

Yes, I could do this (Cubase has similar filters and transformers), but I'd rather fix the problem (if there is one), rather than the symptom.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:20 pm

Stephen Parker wrote:I don't know of an engineer in your area, but check with Sound Technology as they may know of someone near you.
Thanks - I'll try this. It's definitely worth fixing if it is a problem.
The Elf
Jedi Poster