You are here

Sick Minimoog

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Sick Minimoog

Postby nukoba » Fri Feb 05, 2010 1:10 pm

Hi All,

Turned on my minimoog today to find that oscillator 3 is dead.The synth was serviced 12 months ago and sounded great,osc1 and 2 still sound great :-)
My band is in the studio in a weeks time to record our first album and the mini is essential to our sound.We have a little phatty but it is nowhere near the sound of the mini.

Does anyone know of any one in the south of England that could repair it quickly or even how serious a oscillator going down is.

thanks
nukoba
New here

Re: Sick Minimoog

Postby ken long » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:03 pm

Kent Spong is your best bet.
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby nukoba » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:21 pm

nukoba
New here

Postby DragonLogos » Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Does Oscillator 3 Modulate? If you put it to 32'engage Oscillator Modulation and put the mod wheel full forward, does the Oscillator 3 tuning knob affect the speed of the modulation of the two working Oscillators?
DragonLogos
Regular

Postby torinkrell » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:26 am

Dragonlogos is on to something since if osc3 can modulate osc1 and osc2 then all your osc are ok and its most likely just a smaller problem with osc3's switches that toggle it between an audio osc and a modulator (LFO+). Often these switches become oxidized over time and stop working properly. Moog actually updated the Mini at the end of its run by doubling these switch connections internally to improve reliability and address this issue. I would suggest checking these switches first even if osc3 does not work in any mode as two of my Minis had similar switch problems. Potentially switch malfunction is a common cause of Mini problems. Luckily it is far easier and cheaper to remedy than a malfunctioning osc.
torinkrell
Poster

Postby DragonLogos » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:56 am

Could be the Osc 3 switch in the mixer, might be the edge connector of the Oscillator board needs cleaning / re-seating... or it could be the 741s - hard to say without a reply to the mod question
DragonLogos
Regular