You are here

Jupiter 8

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Jupiter 8

Postby Kolakube » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:30 pm

Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Re: Jupiter 8

Postby ROLANDF100 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:09 pm

total madness. i had one for many years and there isent a single sound i would use on it now or any other from the other analogue mythical beast set. prophet 5 etc ( i had one of those as well ) the keyboard action is total crap just like the prophet. its looks very pretty though 8) if this king of romantic nostalgia carrys on some nutter may pay even more for one in another ten years. so could be a money making investment ??
musically a total non event today though.
ROLANDF100
New here

Postby Kolakube » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi mate,

I slightly disagree. Im sure I could put it to good use in my productions. But not for 4 grand. I could buy another car. Im with you there.
Kolakube
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:56 pm

Last year there were two here not on ebay but on I won't say local adds for London both for 1k mint. On ebay I've seen JP-6's go for a shed load more than that
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:21 pm

I'd still love one, but not for those sorts of prices - I'll stick with what I have.

I was lucky enough to pick up a couple of MKS-80 Super Jupiters at a time when they were still a bit in the wilderness and I've never regretted that decision. I think I've had more practical use from them than a JP-8 would have seen.

But the JP-8 remains the pin-up synth of my dreams! Image
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby flo » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:35 am

Talking about dreamy pin-ups and mad prices...what would you pay for a VERY good condition mini? Early version with metal plate and later the oscillator tune-stability-what-not was (professionally) installed.

As a synth freak it just feels like ONCE in my life I must have had one of these to be really SURE that I've seen (heard? ;-) it all.

what would you pay without going completely mad money wise?

By the way I scored some CEM3374s for my Xpander its back to 6 voice singing :-)) Even have a spare one now :)
flo
Regular
http://soundcloud.com/schmuckfenster

Postby Adam Inglis » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:04 am

Really weird to see the midi jacks mounted on the side panel - that would have meant some heavy drilling. Can't think of a reason for this, there's usually plenty of room at the rear panels.

I respectfully disagree with the comment about the keyboard action - one reason why I'm forever playing mine is the rapid note response from the jupiters own keyboard compared with say a DX7, or cheaper analogues. To the point where I will record the midi parts from the jupe rather than via my master KB because the feel is better.
Adam Inglis
Regular
Adam Inglis 
http://www.adambaby.com
Semi-Automatic
Funboys

Postby Hugh Robjohns » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:32 am

Adam Inglis wrote:Really weird to see the midi jacks mounted on the side panel - that would have meant some heavy drilling. Can't think of a reason for this, there's usually plenty of room at the rear panels.

It would be easy to replace the side panel with a fresh peice of metal to restore the unit to its original condition. That wouldn't be the case if the rear panel was modified.

Hugh
Hugh Robjohns
Technical Editor, Sound On Sound

Postby Mike Craig » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:33 am

That JP8 seems dramatically overpriced to me.

Two years ago, a good friend of mine sold a JP8 on ebay that he had been keeping in his mother's loft. It was in pristine condition, still boxed (manual/polythene/polystyrene) and went for £1750 (plus postage and postal insurance).

I can't imagine that the second hand value of the synth can have rocketed so dramatically in such a short space of time.
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby Kevin Nolan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:02 am

ROLANDF100 wrote:
total madness. i had one for many years and there isent a single sound i would use on it now or any other from the other analogue mythical beast set. prophet 5 etc ( i had one of those as well ) the keyboard action is total crap just like the prophet. its looks very pretty though 8) if this king of romantic nostalgia carrys on some nutter may pay even more for one in another ten years. so could be a money making investment ??

Your post is utterly preposterous. You have just rubbished two of the most influential synthesizers ever made, and offer no explanation. You have branded their sound as useless today, and offer absolutely no explanation as to why; and you have just branded all users of these instruments as nutters.

Care to offer explanations to you 'wisdom' posted above?
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster
Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
http://www.knect.ie

Postby Kevin Nolan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:08 am

ROLANDF100 wrote:

You have just rubbished two of the most influential synthesizers ever made. You have branded their sound as useless today, and offer absolutely no explanation as to why; and you have just branded all users of these instruments as nutters. Thanks for the deep insight into the world of vintage synths!
Kevin Nolan
Frequent Poster
Kevin Nolan,KNECT.
http://www.knect.ie

Postby Mike Craig » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:53 pm

ROLANDF100 wrote:
total madness.
Agreed, the seller is unlikely to find a buyer at that price. However, it is likely that it will be relisted at a more reasonable price at a later date. (Nothing ventured....)

ROLANDF100 wrote:
i had one for many years and there isent a single sound i would use on it now or any other from the other analogue mythical beast set. prophet 5 etc
Fair enough, but I think many visitors to Keyboards | Synthesizers | Sound Design Forum would strongly disagree.

ROLANDF100 wrote:
the keyboard action is total crap just like the prophet.

I imagine that this is not a major issue for most "vintage synth" enthusiasts.

Kevin Nolan wrote:
you have just branded all users of these instruments as nutters.

I don't think he was suggesting that we're all nutters Kevin. I think he was suggesting that you would have to be a nutter to shell out £4000+ for a JP8 in "good" condition (and I would tend to agree on that point). :D
Mike Craig
Regular

Postby ROLANDF100 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 4:42 pm

just to add i have owned or used or all of the following EXTENSIVLEY. jupiter 8 and 6. prophet 5. korg polysix. oberheim OBXA. yamaha CS80.
all totally redundant today though due to there total lack of programming depth / options coppered to modern equipment. the cs80 poly after-touch was nice though. they were the best of there time and used by everybody who was lucky enough to get there hands on one or could afford to buy one. just like a spitfire or a model t car. all totally outdated today but would look nice in a museum especially jp8 8)were they all belong. the yamaha dx7 was ubiquitous and used by everyone who had any of the big analogues and was the kiss of death to most of the above.(i had one of those as well) that sounds totally crap by todays standards. which i would not say about the above. fashion and trends...... love em lol
ROLANDF100
New here

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:58 pm

ROLANDF100 wrote:just to add i have owned or used or all of the following EXTENSIVLEY. jupiter 8 and 6. prophet 5. korg polysix. oberheim OBXA. yamaha CS80.
all totally redundant today

Interesting that I get as many bookings for my time based on the Jupiters, JXs, Oberheims, Moogs and Hammonds in my ownership than any other of my studio gear. Nobody ever asks what monitors, phones, amps, pre's or plug-ins I use prior to booking. If that's 'redundant' I'll take a dozen of them! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby ROLANDF100 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:30 pm

im not the slightly bit surprised. good on you. milk it for all its worth:D they are the kind of people that think the sound of one of these will make all the difference to there music...... well it doesent. i would get a fairlight as well if i was you and make even more money. that was big in the eighties and people will pay for that pile of [ ****** ] as well because famous people used it so that means they will become famous............
ROLANDF100
New here

Postby The Elf » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:19 pm

ROLANDF100 wrote:im not the slightly bit surprised. good on you. milk it for all its worth:D they are the kind of people that think the sound of one of these will make all the difference to there music
That's not my experience. Typically those that are interested just know it makes a difference - not a 'make or break' difference, but a difference nonethless.

There are many great VSTis around, and I use a lot of them, but real analogues still have a part to play. A mix of both is perfectly healthy IMO.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:42 pm

ROLANDF100 wrote:im not the slightly bit surprised. good on you. milk it for all its worth:D they are the kind of people that think the sound of one of these will make all the difference to there music...... well it doesent. i would get a fairlight as well if i was you and make even more money. that was big in the eighties and people will pay for that pile of [ ****** ] as well because famous people used it so that means they will become famous............

Can anyone else smell troll?.. :headbang:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby vinyl_junkie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:02 am

Chevytraveller wrote:
ROLANDF100 wrote:im not the slightly bit surprised. good on you. milk it for all its worth:D they are the kind of people that think the sound of one of these will make all the difference to there music...... well it doesent. i would get a fairlight as well if i was you and make even more money. that was big in the eighties and people will pay for that pile of [ ****** ] as well because famous people used it so that means they will become famous............

Lol I was thinking the same thing
Love his comment about the DX-7...It no way sounds crap by today's standards..sorry
I may be no Brian Eno but if you program that thing it CAN sound extremely nice and complements other synths very well in the mix not just playing those cheesy presets
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Matt_Moose » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:39 am

I mean a Steinway grand piano is old and outdated too and should be binned as they make no difference to a recording. I mean, it never sounds right when you mic it up and it takes soo much more time than a nice and hassle free ITB sample I can sort with a couple of clicks....

Yeah, right :)
Matt_Moose
Regular

Hammond M162, XM1. Yahama CP70B, PF2000, P200, P50m, QY100. Roland RD1000, JV1010. Alesis SR16.

Postby The Elf » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Chevytraveller wrote:

I'm not naive, but I prefer to give everyone the benefit of the doubt. And sufficient rope... ;)
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Next