You are here

Calling all Control Synthesis Deep Bass Nine users.

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Calling all Control Synthesis Deep Bass Nine users.

Postby ToxicShock » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:05 pm

Hello there, I've just bought a DB9 (not the car unfortunately) but it didn't come with a manual. Also I've heard that you can adjust the resonance amount from an internal pot but there appears to be three and I'm not sure which one is the right one. Any help would be much appreciated in regards to this and possibly a link to an online manual. I don't think there is one. Failing that if anyone was willing to be ultra helpful and photocopy their manual and send it to me I'd be willing to cover your costs.

Finally does anyone know if you have to have the module set up a certain way to process external audio as I don't hear anything coming out when I've got it set up to do so. Thanks in advance.
ToxicShock
New here

Re: Calling all Control Synthesis Deep Bass Nine users.

Postby forumuser695516 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:46 pm

I still have one of these.
Its far from the best 303 clone, but not a bad little mono synth in it's own right. Its quite beefy sounding 8-)
You are not missing much with the manual. Its more of a pamphlet! To filter external audio, you need to have the Waveform switch set to "X" and incoming midi note data to act as a gate/trigger.

As for internal tweaks. I have never tried it. Although I have taken the lid off to have a nose around inside. But the manual doesn't tell you anything about the internal trim pots anyway.

If I remember rightly, James Walker was the main man behind these synths. And although 'Sound Control' no longer exists (Does it?) James can be found here www.synthrepairservices.com So if you need any technical info, im sure you could contact him. Which I may do myself soon, as 1 or 2 pots on my DB9 are slightly iffy. I'll repair it myself, I just need to know what the suitable replacements pots are.

If there is anything specific you want to know from the manual, just ask and i'll fill you in. But it's a pretty rudimentary manual. Then again, so is the synth!

Paul
forumuser695516
Frequent Poster

Postby ToxicShock » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:35 pm

That's great Paul.Just tried it with my CZ1 and the DB9 both being triggered simultaneously and the CZ's audio routed through the DB9 and it worked fine. I have to say the filter is not particularly great sounding and this was my main reason for getting it. On it's own I do like the overall sound but maybe not enough to warrant giving it space in my rack. I'll try the resonance tweek when I can work out which pot it is and see if that makes a difference.

Apparently it can be used as a Midi to CV/Gate unit which may be useful but not at the moment for me. I guessed that the manual would be pretty thin and my main needs are answered in the review here on SOS in regards to the glide and accent functions plus the mod wheel control of cutoff. I didn't buy it for it's 303 credentials which I knew to be poor and indeed it sounds very little like the bassline. I'll give it a couple of months but I like to freshen my gear every now and then and ship out the stuff I use least (some stuff I just won't part with though) so I may sell it on and get something else. Who knows.

Thanks for the heads up about James Walker too, I will try to contact him.
ToxicShock
New here

Postby Chaconne » Mon Mar 01, 2010 3:42 am

I quite liked it during the 90's when I was into F.U.S.E type techno. Always think I will sell it but its still useful. Sounds nice through a good pedal, not just to make that O.T.T crusty acid sound, but to add a bit of grit - I put mine through a SansAmp bass driver and it sounds gorgeous. The other use I find is as a double up with a single osc. synth like a roland SH, or even an FM synth. Detune it slightly.

The pots are quite easy to see and adjust, and its worth having a fiddle, I think you can get the filter to close down at the leftmost setting and that makes it a bit snappier. It is a heavey thing for the little it does maybe...
Chaconne
Frequent Poster