You are here

Recommended Foot Controller for PCR-800 and Guitar Rig

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Recommended Foot Controller for PCR-800 and Guitar Rig

Postby stalkingturkey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:46 am

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to purchase an expression pedal/foot controller for use with my Edirol PCR-800, specifically for the use virtual guitar emulation with Guitar Rig 3

I am primarily looking for a sturdy, high quality expression pedal, although additional controllers/foot switches don't hurt. I have narrowed down my choices between the Yamaha FC7, Roland EV5 and, to a lesser extent, the Behringer FCB1010. The last choice is primarily going to be based on the quality of the expression pedals, since the other switches are just a bonus. I have read numerous reviews on the superiority of the FC7 over the EV5, and the price difference certainly helps, although I also read in multiple sources that you should try to match the pedal brand to the brand of keyboard you are using to avoid problems, which would narrow it down to the EV5.

I would like to know if anyone has had experience using any of these pedals in a similar setup from what I have. I have no experience in using expression or volume pedals and I am not a guitar player, although I understand how they work and intend to use it for volume changes and wah effects. I am primarily interested in the range of travel/"expressiveness" (am I using the right terms here?) of the pedal, and the general feel of using it. Also I am looking for reliability and durability, since I will be gigging with this setup.

Any input at all would be very much appreciated. Also, I'm hoping I put this in the right forum, since i guess this would be a question for both keyboardists and guitarists.

Thanks!
-Eugene

EDIT: Yes, I am aware of the Rig Kontrol unit that is available for Guitar Rig users, however, I do not justify paying extra money to have an audio interface I will not even be using (I already use an RME 9632 in my DAW), that is, unless someone can convince me that the pedal on the Rig Kontrol 3 is superior to the others I have mentioned.
stalkingturkey

Re: Recommended Foot Controller for PCR-800 and Guitar Rig

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:48 pm

Welcome to the SOS Forums Eugene! 8-)

I suspect you'll find this FAQ I wrote entitled 'Expression Pedals not generating the full range of MIDI Data' helpful:

www.soundonsound.com/forum/showflat.php ... ber=322584

...since it includes some info on why people recommend matching pedal brand to keyboard (this isn't necessary as long as you read my compatibility list in that thread).

As for feel, like keyboard actions this is very much a personal thing. I prefer a slightly stiffer but smooth action to you don't accidentally change the pedal as son as you put your foot on it. Cheaper pedals tend to feel rather more 'plasticky' (because they tend to be made of plastic ;)), whereas more expensive ones generally have metal pedal/cases that feel more substantial, and possibly some sort of friction bearing to provide resistance.

Hope this helps!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby stalkingturkey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:21 pm

Thank you for the speedy response and very detailed thread. I suppose I will save myself any trouble and just go with the EV5, I can always return it if it isn't what I expected
stalkingturkey

Postby Martin Walker » Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:06 pm

Yes, that's probably the safest bet - you'd probably have to modify the Yamaha FC-7 to provide the full pedal range with your Edirol PCR-800 anyway.

Good luck!

Martin
Martin Walker