You are here

Contemporary studio plugins, designed through unconventional methods

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Contemporary studio plugins, designed through unconventional methods

Postby gryfyx » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi guys

This thread is initiated for the purpose of finding out some really unpracticed and unconventional methods of building any kind of DSP plugin i.e. VST, AU, RTAS, TDM, Standalone or maybe simply a patch.

One thing that I recently noticed and found it very interesting. It was that out of so many programmers none have made anything out of a synchronous programming language. Out of all synchronous programming tool Scade/Esterel maintains a very strong and versatile appearance. Its core usage is for hardware modulation, which is most commonly used in aviation and railway engineering. But even before the first hour that I spent with it I was sure that it can be quite easily and yet powerfully used for designing synths or effects, both soft and hard. Maybe my limited education didnt support my vision, but I am not able to figure out the procedure. And even the Esterel Technologies seem not to have bothered about it. Maybe aviation and railways are much lucrative for them than Sound Studio. There is virtually nothing about this on internet, except a much anticipated lone thread on KVR forum which I found as quite and short as MAX/MSP has been about the discontinuation of Standalone and VST rendering (That's a different rage that I might release some other time).

Anyway, Esterel used Lustre to design SCADE, so anyone who has any experience on SCADE or Lustre please help me know if there are any ways to do what I am thinking of trying to do.

If you have any such ideas about any unconventional ways of plugin development, please do share.
gryfyx
Regular

Re: Contemporary studio plugins, designed through unconventional methods

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:47 am

Hi AR!

I suspect your new plug-in design thread should really be in our Sound Design forum, as the DIY ones is primarily for hardware projects.

I’ll move it over for you, but leave a link here.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby gryfyx » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:29 pm

Thanx Martin, I was actually pretty confused about this before starting this thread. But then I knew you will take care of this.

Thanx again.

Hey, I think that there should be a complete separate section dedicated to plugin development in SOS (I mean in the magazine).
They should have done that long before introducing video processing (which I yet not indulge into).
gryfyx
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:57 pm

AuralSerenity wrote:
There is virtually nothing about this on internet, except a much anticipated lone thread on KVR forum which I found as quite and short as MAX/MSP has been about the discontinuation of Standalone and VST rendering (That's a different rage that I might release some other time).

The KVR thread that I spoke about.

Just in case if you were wondering.
gryfyx
Regular

Postby gryfyx » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:13 am

Only if they were designing midi controllers, and that is in bulk, thus much cheaper, then they could easily become the most selling midi interfaces in the world. My laid-back self is desperately waiting. :)
gryfyx
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Ooh! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby JaymanLDN » Thu Oct 07, 2010 2:04 pm

Looks like you can use it to control audio

Mind Your OSCs
FREE
Send EPOC data as OSC packets to programs like Max/MSP and PureData. Please refer to the examples folder in the install directory to see how to handle the data sent in.

here
JaymanLDN
Poster

Postby gryfyx » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:55 pm

JaymanLDN wrote:Looks like you can use it to control audio

Mind Your OSCs
FREE
Send EPOC data as OSC packets to programs like Max/MSP and PureData. Please refer to the examples folder in the install directory to see how to handle the data sent in.

here

Hi Jayman, first I thought I'll type LMAO and reply with an animated smiley rolling on the ground and actually laughing its ass off. But then I saw the link and realized that you are so damn right. Its totally amazing thing. It blew me more with every new thing that I found about this alienish science. Thanx a lot for finding this out. Wish if the setup could be less expensive.

And now the smiley - :)
gryfyx
Regular

Postby jellyjim » Fri Oct 08, 2010 10:29 am

Interesting thread although I'm not sure I entirely understand.

What advantages do you envisage developing in something like SCADE would have over traditional C/C++ development? Is it likely to create something dramatically different, an actual paradigm shift if you will, or just facilitate the development process? If it's the latter then I guess people just figure "if it 'aint broke, don't fix it."
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com