You are here

Kate Bush - Running up that Hill - main synth sound

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Moderator: Moderators

RE: Kate Bush - Running up that Hill - main synth sound

Postby Thoracius » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:27 pm

I gave it a shot recreating this sound on my microKORG XL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2c97a76NEI" target="phpbbpopup

I feel like I got pretty close, considering most of the character of the original comes from the weird pitch-shifting artifacts of the digital sample, which is hard to emulate with subtractive synthesis.
Thoracius

Re: Kate Bush - Running up that Hill - main synth sound

Postby desmond » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:22 pm

Not bad, if it’s just subtractive synthesis being used... :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster
mu:zines | music magazine archive | difficultAudio

Postby Scramble » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:43 pm

If I was playing in a Kate Bush cover band I'd be pretty happy with that.
Scramble
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby ken long » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:38 am

So glad to see this epic thread revived! :angel:
ken long
Frequent Poster (Level2)
I'm All Ears.

Postby desmond » Thu Aug 30, 2018 3:38 pm

There's a new blog post on the sounds of Running Up That Hill, which seems to come to the same conclusions as we came to in this thread:

https://reverbmachine.com/blog/kate-bush-synth-sounds
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:36 pm

Some additional info, which backs up most of my earlier findings (and confirms the Quantec frozen reverb) and is worth posting here. :thumbup:

From an interview with Kate Bush, International Musician, Oct 1985:

RUNNING UP THAT TRACK
(The making of the single)

Running Up That Hill all started off on the Fairlight. I just found this sound that I thought was a brilliant sound for the riff, and I knew I wanted a military drone-like atmosphere that would surround it all. I asked Del to set a Linn pattern—I sung him the part—and he got that together, and we set that to play the pattern round and round and I worked out the vocal that would go over the top. The lyrics for the first verse came straight away. I stuck it down like that with the voice, Fairlight and drum machine on my home eight track.

"Then we started work on the drone. We froze a three or four note chord from the Fairlight into the Quantec. Already it was quite there, so the next stage we transferred the eight track to the 24 track and we kept the original Fairlight; I added new Fairlight playing the same part because the problem was the sample was actually very noisy. It was called a harp, but it wasn't one. Eventually, although the Linn pattern was used for a long time, we actually ended up putting it down again over more tracks.

"Then we got Stuart (Elliott, drummer) in, and because the Linn pattern was so full in itself it was just a matter of him sticking a snare down. The original Linn pattern had a snare down, but it's not very good and needed bolstering up. We needed something at the end so he put down some very dramatic fills that were a combination of three different sounds, including something on the Fairlight.

"Then I put the backing vocals down, which apart from the weird ones at the end were done at demo stage, but we re-did them. Paddy (Bush, brother) came in and put down some balalaika on the choruses to give them sort of push, Del put some bass down that was very much in there with the toms to emphasise that rhythmic feel, then it just needed something at the end. I put some freak-out voices over it all and all it needed was a guitar to finally build it."

She also mentions in a few other places in the piece about adding real drums over the top of the Linn, including ethnic drums and other things.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby wdsteele » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:00 pm

Ive been reading a few other archive peices tbanks to the mu:zine site and it really struck me just how creative Fairlight users had to be .
Also interesting how they all seemed to express some level of frustration around the technological limitations , something I doubt is much of a concern now a days .
wdsteele
Regular

Postby desmond » Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:08 pm

wdsteele wrote:Ive been reading a few other archive pieces thanks to the mu:zine site and it really struck me just how creative Fairlight users had to be .

Indeed! I'm amazed anyone ever got it to sound good, especially the first one!

wdsteele wrote:Also interesting how they all seemed to express some level of frustration around the technological limitations , something I doubt is much of a concern now a days .

If you used one of them, you'd realise how frustrating and limiting it really is - though at the time, it was a marvel because it let you do formerly impossible things! :thumbup:
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:32 am

desmond wrote:There's a new blog post on the sounds of Running Up That Hill, which seems to come to the same conclusions as we came to in this thread:

Brilliant info, especially about the drum pattern. I struggle with those, he seems to have nailed the feel here. The clipping on the cello sound seems to have thrown the timbre off IMO.

I don't think he's right about the Fairlight sound on Army Dreamers, it sounds more like Cello 2 again, layered with something windy. It's hard to tell really because, as you say that's the thing with the Fairlight it's so limited. After a while everything sounds like the same "nasal honk" as Wiff once described it :lol:
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Postby nathanscribe » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:27 pm

Tomás Mulcahy wrote:
desmond wrote:There's a new blog post on the sounds of Running Up That Hill, which seems to come to the same conclusions as we came to in this thread:

Brilliant info, especially about the drum pattern.

It's good but his drums are way off. The original uses the low tom, with an occasional hit to the left only, and the kick/snare are on 1+3 and 2+4 respectively. The tom does all the filling in.
nathanscribe
Frequent Poster
I have no idea what I'm doing.

Postby Tomás Mulcahy » Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:38 pm

I was trying to be nice :bouncy: . He's done it all on the kick, but has the right idea about the "aheadness"IMO. Reminds me that I must see if I can nail the portamtento with the CMIV. Kontakt did not.
Tomás Mulcahy
Frequent Poster

Previous