You are here

Synthesis tutorial - Free!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Synthesis tutorial - Free!

Postby TimCanfer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:54 am

Hi all -

I am a music and music tech FE lecturer at Barnsley College. I am also doing a Masters at Leeds University and as part of that, last year I programed an interactive synthesis tutorial using Max MSP.
It is a fully interactive audio/visual, hands-on tutorial designed to clearly teach the basics of sound synthesis (additive, envelopes, AM, RM, FM).
It is designed for sole use, but can also be used in the classroom either at school, college or university level.

It is now available as a GNU release and it can be found here:www.timcanfer.co.uk/tcsynthtutorial

Please feel free to use however you want (except for commercial purposes), any feedback is appreciated, however I may not be able to update particularly quickly.

Enjoy!
TimCanfer
New here

Re: Synthesis tutorial - Free!

Postby A4 Footprint » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:16 am

Tim,
Thanks for making it available. I'm downloading now and look forward to giving it a read.
Peter
A4 Footprint
Poster

Re: Synthesis tutorial - Free!

Postby gryfyx » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:57 am

Hello and welcome to SOS, Tim. I have a question, and it may sound stupid. The links are for XP and OSX versions, and their is a huge difference in their sizes- one is 16 MB and another is just 6.3 MB. I only have Vista and '7' so I cant check the OSX version. Is there something more in the OSX one?

I checked the videos under Teaching link. You should make this synthesis tutorial in a series of videos. That way its easier to sustain my laid-back personality.

:D
gryfyx
Regular