You are here

Did I dream this? Akai Keyboard into S series Sampler?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Did I dream this? Akai Keyboard into S series Sampler?

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:28 pm

I'm pretty sure i read somewhere that you could plug in a specific old Akai Synth/Keyboard into the older s900/950 (?) samplers and the keyboard would map all the controls and filters?

Was it something like an Akai AX?

I've been desperately looking for what you would call an analog sampler, something that samples as usual but with alot of knobs and sliders on for real-time manipulation, like an analog synth, preferably with a 12-bit sound from old?

I have had things like the Emax SE which is great but only really has one slider for realtime filter control, and an E4XT Ultra which is good for filters, but like the later Akai models, you had to stab through pages on a screen so thought maybe an Akai keyboard / Controller would allow easy access of parameters

Come to think of it, its odd that through the JD-800 days and analog re-surgence that someone didnt make a sampler with real-time knobs, or a Roland style PG-800 programmer for easy access.

The closest thing i can think of with a bit of grit is the Morgana 112db sampler VST and mapping that to a USB surface via a DAW.

(Of course all i can think of is the Akai Z series with a few knobs on board, but they were quite clean 24-bit/96khz without real character).. :crazy:
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Re: Did I dream this? Akai Keyboard into S series Sampler?

Postby DJW » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:33 pm

Hi

Yes, what you want is an Akai AX60 or AX73. The AX73 came out around the same time as the S900 (1986). You would also need the DD-X5013 Voice Cable.
DJW
Regular

Duncan J. White

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:37 pm

http://www.vintagesynth.com/misc/repeater.php Perhaps? Never used one myself.

The AKAI thing you are referring to I think is this

http://www.synthfind.com/akai/akai-ax60-with-s612-md280/

1 Proprietary Cable to connect individual voice out of the sampler to the sampler input of the AX60

Hard to find cable! Allows you to use the sampler as a second oscillator on the Synthesizer. You can get some either really lush or really wacky sounds this way! Run the samples through the filter, LFO, and envelopes! Or split the keyboard and use samples on one side and the synth on the other. This combo is full of possibilities.
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:45 pm

Great, so it does exist!

So does this work with newer samplers than the S612, like the s900/s950 and maybe even the s3000??

I understand then its just running the line out from sampler to keyboard and filter? or is it being used as an actual programmer for the sampler?
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby Chevytraveller » Thu Jun 23, 2011 5:45 pm

DJW wrote:Hi

Yes, what you want is an Akai AX60 or AX73.

The AX60 and AX73 had the multi-pin connection which allowed you to process the voices from the S612, S700/X7000 and the S900, but the front panel controls did not send sysex information to control the sampler. The cable was actually just an analogue breakout cable.

you could try building a sysex map to control something like the Emax on a device like the Kenton Control freak.
The Emax supports SysEx control and I remember there being a mixer map in Cubase on the Atari ST years ago which worked fairly well..

Use SysEx with care though, as tweaking knobs in realtime generates a lot of MIDI data and has a tendency to overflow the MIDI buffer in early instruments if used excessively and crash the instrument.

hope this helps..

:bouncy:
Chevytraveller
Frequent Poster
Soft: MBP 15", X-Station, LogicX, Mainstage 3, Korg legacy, Diva, Alchemy, FabFilter.
Hard: Mostly now all for sale.. but Akai MPC Live, Tasty Chips Gr-1, Roland Promars, AS Telemark,  Eurocrack disease

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:02 pm

Chevytraveller wrote:Use SysEx with care though, as tweaking knobs in realtime generates a lot of MIDI data and has a tendency to overflow the MIDI buffer in early instruments if used excessively and crash the instrument.

hope this helps..

:bouncy:

Think I remember this, and it flooding the machine with MIDI and it used to crash and packup! What a headache..

I think something like the Morgana VST with an Oxygen49 USB controller would be better and simpler for hands on control with a bit of grit
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby vinyl_junkie » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:10 pm

Sir have you tried a Ensoniq EPS-16+? Heavily used and abused by Autechre.. Might not have resonant filters (Unless you have the waveboy disks) but it's SUPER sweet and almost anything can be modulated with anything

There is a Modulation setting in the Ensoniq EPS-16+ which allows you to scrub through a sample (basically, the modweel designates the sample start point) backwards and forwards with the modwheel. It results in some of the coolest sounds and effects, depending on how you played while you used it (and what sample you were using it with)
it's called loop-position modulation and it's pretty much responsible for 90s glitch. autechre, fennesz, jan jelinek and countless mego/mille plateaux artists used it extensively. the ensoniq samplers were way ahead of their time

This feature is also what enables transwaves, kinda ensoniq's version of wavetable synthesis.

Errm did I also mention it sounds great and I just got one lol
vinyl_junkie
Frequent Poster

Postby Pitchfork » Thu Jun 23, 2011 8:43 pm

Sounds good, and I bet it has a bit of bite if its 12-bit..

I know Ableton's sampler can do this and patch filters and start/end points to knobs and wheels, so im starting to gravitate towards this, instead of complicated old tech, and chasing old stuff, tempting though it is!

Also in Ableton, I started to use the Decimort bit crusher, which has the EPS16 as a preset! :)
Pitchfork
Frequent Poster

Postby Adam Inglis » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:52 am

I use an Akai AX60 synth with an S612 sampler. I made the cable myself - 13 tiny pins to solder, great fun!

As mentioned the cable basically brings out the six audio channels from the sampler, into the six synth channels for processing by the filter, VCA, chorus and arpeggiator.
However, there needs to be a midi cable from the synth to the sampler to synchronize the channels. Pressing the "sampler" button on the AX60 sends a midi "multi mode ON" message to do this, so each audio channel has its own midi channel (1-6).
Adam Inglis
Regular

Postby Rutger Verberkmoes » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:17 am

I'm using the S950/AX-73 combination. It's fun, but don't expect beautiful, full sounding and resonating filter sweeps, the filter of the AX73/VX60 isn't that powerful....
Rutger Verberkmoes
Poster

Postby Terrible.dee » Sat Feb 22, 2020 8:20 am

Rutger Verberkmoes wrote:I'm using the S950/AX-73 combination. It's fun, but don't expect beautiful, full sounding and resonating filter sweeps, the filter of the AX73/VX60 isn't that powerful....

Not that powerful???

Are you kidding me?

That Filter can cause permanent brain damage.
Terrible.dee
Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:27 am

Clearly.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby Stickman0_3 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 11:05 am

Yes, the Akai AX60 and AX73 both have a special port to plug in an S900/S950. Not sure about the Akai AX80.
Stickman0_3
Regular

Postby Stickman0_3 » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:28 pm

Just checked the AX80 and it does NOT have a sampler input.
Stickman0_3
Regular