You are here

Educate me about continuous sustain pedals - please

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Educate me about continuous sustain pedals - please

Postby damoore » Sun Aug 26, 2012 12:27 am

I am using Pianoteq Stage and it grumped that my sustain pedal was only on-off! So I want to get a sustain pedal that supports half pedaling.

So I have some questions:

Do you have the same polarity problems that you do with expression pedals. Will the same adapter fix them? Or do you have different polarity problems that need a different adapter?

Are they all TRS and capable of being plugged into a continuos controller socket designed to work with a TRS expression pedal? I know the FC3 is TRS but have not seen the others.

Do they have the same issue with resistance values? In an expression pedal Yamaha and Roland expression pedals have quite different value pots which effects the way it responds on any given synth. Do sustain pedals have the same issues?

Even if a synth is not able to make use of continuous values for sustain, will they transmit them? Obviously, you have to map a continuous controller to the right cc but when you do that is it common for synths to clip the values to 0 and 127?

At the moment I am using a QS8 as my controller, but I am looking to upgrade - possibly to the Numa Piano when it becomes available. If anyone has one in the Boston (US) area, I would love to be able to check it out. Anyway, that is why I am asking the questions generally rather than in reference to a particular piece of gear.

David
damoore
Frequent Poster

Re: Educate me about continuous sustain pedals - please

Postby damoore » Tue Aug 28, 2012 1:49 am

So I have answered a few of my own questions. I picked up a Roland DP-10 at my local music store and it works fine with my QS8. That probably means its the same polarity and range as a Roland expression pedal.

Plugged it into a continous controller port and set that to controller 64 and voila! Half pedalling. Had to manually set the curve in Pianoteq Stage but that was easy, and its amazing how much difference being able to half pedal makes to one's sound!

Score me one happy camper!

BTW, one neat feature of this pedal is that you can switch it between on-off and continuous, just in case you don't have three or four switching pedals already to hand.
damoore
Frequent Poster

Postby chris... » Tue Aug 28, 2012 10:22 am

damoore wrote:its amazing how much difference being able to half pedal makes to one's sound!
Great stuff!
chris...
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby dubbmann » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:44 pm

hi

can you explain on 'half-pedaling'? i use sustain pedals a lot, and as far as i know they're all binary. is a half-pedal the use of the sustain pedal on a real piano half-way so that the dampers semi-damp the strings? i'm confused what this would mean on a midi patch. any explanation of what you were after and how it differs would be most welcome!

cheers,

d
dubbmann
Frequent Poster
http://www.thinkbluecounttwo.com/ http://www.phichibe.com

Postby BJG145 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:56 am

dubbmann wrote:is a half-pedal the use of the sustain pedal on a real piano half-way so that the dampers semi-damp the strings

Kind of...I used to think this referred to a "third setting" but it actually refers to the range of effects you can obtain between having the pedal fully up or down, and which can apparently be emulated by using a continuous controller (volume/expression pedal I guess) and a virtual piano which offers variable sustain. (Never actually tried it though.)
BJG145
Jedi Poster

Postby damoore » Thu Sep 06, 2012 1:55 am

You need a patch and/or sound engine that can do it. As I mentioned, Pianotech stage will but if NI does I have not sussed it out yet.

Basically instead of just stopping when you half pedal the sound is simply reduced in volume. Strictly speaking the harmonics should change too.

Means you can blend chords together without everything being total mud. Means you can get a bigger sound while playing softly.
damoore
Frequent Poster