You are here

Invented new sound synthesis techniques

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Invented new sound synthesis techniques

Postby doctornash » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:18 am

I'd like to present a documentary showcasing the results from the past 5 years of my R&D in sound synthesis, compressed into 8 minutes. Features a few new methods of generating and controlling sound which you won't see in 'standard articles/tutorials' on the subject online, in magazines or in texts, or in most (and indeed in some cases ANY) plugins/hardware:
Innovations In Sound Synthesis

All the apps discussed in the video and further details about the theory of each synthesis method they are based on, freely available from here (I'll soon be uploading all the source code to the site as well):
Flexibeatz

...and fittingly, a couple of extra-terrestrials 'performing live' a song with all sounds produced with these 'alien' techniques :) :
Aliens Live
doctornash
Poster

Re: Invented new sound synthesis techniques

Postby desmond » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:54 am

Interesting stuff.

There isn't much of a developer hang out here, I think the number of us here that really understand these kind of DSP maths is probably a small handful. You might get more of a response and discussion posting to the KVR DSP and Developer forum, perhaps?
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi Jim,

And welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Many thanks for your post - the video (and associated sound samples) are fascinating.
I love the Stochastic Bezier sounds in particular!

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby shurikt » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:26 pm

Fascinating stuff, Jim. Thanks for sharing!
shurikt
Poster

Postby damoore » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:28 am

Very interesting. The Bezier idea in particular. You could use that as the basis for additive synthesis too.
damoore
Frequent Poster

Postby doctornash » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:24 am

Bezier curves are indeed versatile beasts. For example, Phase-Warper allows the x and y co-ordinates of a single ‘bend point’ of a phase-distorting vector to be graphically altered, but now I’m experimenting with using a Bezier curve to distort the phase, yielding a different sonic palette than a‘hinged vector’. So that’s already three uses for a Bezier curve in three different applications – change the position of its control points with probability functions, modulate the control points, and use a Bezier to distort phase :shock:
doctornash
Poster

Postby Folderol » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:09 pm

Mmmm. Bezier curves. They even look sexy :tongue:

As you read this post you get the uncanny feeling that it's main purpose is to act as a marker for future reading :roll:
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby feline1 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:57 pm

What a splendid video! Very well presented
feline1
Frequent Poster (Level2)
~~~ A weasel hath not such a deal of spleen as you are tossed with! http://www.feline1.co.uk ~~~

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Indeed - a large round of applause from everyone is in order ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby doctornash » Tue May 05, 2015 10:52 pm

Thanks everyone for your support - it does encourage me to continue the research into brand new ways of generating/designing sound. My focus will remain on applying processes and techniques unrelated to traditional synthesis, to the 'micro' (waveform samples) level of sound. I'll also continue to post apps and related theory of anything promising, on my site as I go along (after of course first checking that something similar hadn't already been done - I've withheld the release of 3 apps at various stages of completion so far, after uncovering or being advised of something that was a bit 'too close')
doctornash
Poster

Postby doctornash » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:09 pm

As far as I can tell, another sonic first: "Synth Of Sorts" features a sound generation engine based on sorting algorithms. I'm yet to release it but I've uploaded a video of it in action as the second instalment in my 'Innovations In Sound Synthesis' series :D
doctornash
Poster

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:28 pm

Hey, that's a really neat idea! Using sorting algorithms to generate a new waveshape is not in itself that interesting (there are lots of waves to generate sample values, etc), but that you create a wavetable from the *process* of the sort while it's working, and then use that as a regular sweepable wavetable is very cool! 8-)

Many of the results sound quite a lot like Casio's PD synthesis in character, and PD itself used in those synths often starts with bright waves and uses the DCW envelopes to shape down to a sine wave.
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:45 pm

This was really interesting, thanks for posting this. The bit-twiddler is vaguely similar to something I was trying to do myself in Audulus a little while ago, though your results are way better than mine (I'm no mathematician). I'd really like to see how far some of these methods could be taken in a plugin, or even DSP/FPGA-driven hardware.

The control methods also look to be very suitable for something along the lines of Lemur or other touch-related interfaces. Good stuff!
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
The  man cave and some resulting works.

Postby Folderol » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:02 pm

very interesting.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Just because you know what I'm talking about, it doesn't mean I do!

Postby desmond » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:11 pm

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'd really like to see how far some of these methods could be taken in a plugin, or even DSP/FPGA-driven hardware.

Well really, you wouldn't want to be using CPU-intensive methods for generating waveforms in real time - like any digital oscillator, it makes most sense to pre-compute values or use some fast methods to generate samples, so I'd guess that if this were being taken into some practical form (ie, a synth/instrument plugin) it will be using these methods to generate wavetables, which, once generated, could be used like any other digital wavetable.

And indeed, you could already use these methods to generate wavetable files that could be loaded into plugins that support custom wavetables.

I'm sure there are other applications for these methods, too...
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:48 am

doctornash wrote:As far as I can tell, another sonic first: "Synth Of Sorts" features a sound generation engine based on sorting algorithms. I'm yet to release it but I've uploaded a video of it in action as the second instalment in my 'Innovations In Sound Synthesis' series :D

Hey doctornash, that's another fascinating video - well done!

You really do have some fascinating ideas! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Alperian » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:38 pm

Yes. Great Post. It had me looking through Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator for new audio mashing ideas in their filters. I also can see the bezier one being very powerful (yet could we be its master?).
Alperian
Poster

Postby doctornash » Fri Apr 08, 2016 2:13 pm

I also can see the bezier one being very powerful (yet could we be its master?)
This is a very interesting point. Blowfly in its current form is an example of an 'autonomous instrument' - where one doesn't 'interact' with it in the strict sense of the term. One can 'guide' it by setting rules and boundary conditions as it plays but within that framework, it still 'kind of does its own thing'.

An area of particular interest to me (not least because it has been explored so little) is that of semi-autonomous instruments. An example of this is Chaosorus - which I focus on in this video I just uploaded.

The phase of a sine oscillator is perturbed by two small functions and depending on the parameter values of these functions, a variety of sounds are produced ranging from rhythmic noise to glitch effects to pitch gliding tones and chip-tune like melodies. What makes it semi-autonomous is that although you don't initially know what you'll get across the keyboard for the various parameter values, the same settings will produce the same results, so you can actually compose something with what it produces, and this is what I've tried to show in the video.

In other words at its heart is a process which at a lower level generates self-organized sound, yet at a higher level lets you play and arrange the sound sequences in the traditional composition sense. I think an enabler for creativity is to let go of at least some conscious control one has over the creative process...but not too much :D
doctornash
Poster

Postby doctornash » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:03 am

So, since my coding laptop has suddenly decided it is done with dutifully following instructions, opting for an eternal slumber instead :thumbdown:, I thought I'd take the 'opportunity' to make another edu-demo video (something I quite enjoy but don't normally get enough time to do).
It's likely the last one I'll do from my 'back catalog' before continuing with exploration and development on one of my other machines - it's for 'NeuronoiZ':
Synth based on brain cell voltage waveforms
doctornash
Poster

Postby doctornash » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:01 am

Evolved another sound synthesis technique which I've coined 'NHT' (Nested Hyberbolic and Trigonometric functions) synthesis, and here is a video I just posted explaining what it is, showcasing the free softsynth I developed which implements it, and demonstrating some of the unique and interesting sounds you can make with it :)
doctornash
Poster

Next