You are here

Invented new sound synthesis techniques

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Invented new sound synthesis techniques

Postby Agharta » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:15 am

Very interesting. I watched a few videos and will download some of your software when next at the PC.
Thanks for sharing.
Agharta
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 7:01 pm

Wow, that's fascinating stuff! :clap:

Nested Hyberbolic and Trigonometric functions synthesis is certainly versatile.

Bravo the mathematician - if only numbers had been so creative when I was still at school ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:37 pm

Great stuff... the way that the waveform changes with NHT when you modify the arguments reminds me a bit of FM synthesis for some reason (sort of modifying one wave using another).

The proof of any synthesis model is surely in the listening thereof and the tones emitting from your project are very impressive considering you're building your own engine.

Not directly related to NHT, and I'm no mathematician (a bit of trig, and mental arithmetic is about as far as I can go comfortably) but as you seem to be much more comfortable in number-world, I was wondering if there is any mileage in using differential calculus somehow to generate a set of waveforms from the derivatives of a function across its domain in steps of varying sizes - these then could be merged/modulated/spangulotomised in creative ways to render a timbre. Maybe that's a bit random, and to be honest I don't know enough about it to offer anything more than a naive suggestion but hey :)
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
The  man cave and some resulting works.

Postby doctornash » Fri Sep 07, 2018 1:50 am

Here's the latest from my ongoing quest to discover and implement new sound synthesis techniques. The video explains and demonstrates the generation of sound waveforms from the motion of the vertices of rotating 3D-modelled objects. I've called the app 'Rotatosound' (originally thought of 'Rotosound' but that's already the name of a guitar string manufacturer) which implements this 'POVROS' (POlygon Vertex ROtation) sound synthesis method.
doctornash
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:16 pm

Wow - POVROS is certainly different ! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Previous