You are here

Roland VR760 LCD Display

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Roland VR760 LCD Display

Postby Ez » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:17 pm

Hello. This is my first post so please be gentle on me.

I have a Roland VR760 Combo and the LCD display has started producing random characters. The keyboard plays, sounds and behaves as it should but it is frustrating when trying to set parameters with an erratic display. Is the display replaceable and if so what type would I need and how easy would it be to replace it? I have experience in electronics, but not to surface mount level.

Thanks in anticipation.

Eric

Ps some great reads on the forum and I benefited from the advice given, so thanks to all contributors.
Ez
Poster

Re: Roland VR760 LCD Display

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:59 pm

Hi Ez

Welcome to the forum, the LCD (According to Roland ) is 16 characters, 2 lines (backlit LCD) but thats only half the story, you'll need to check measurments and connection wiring, its most likely to be on a parallel connection but you will need to check !!

Make contact with Roland Spares I've heard that they can be really helpful. :)

BTW I'm looking at putting a Backlit LCD in my old Roland XP-10 so will be watching for further comments.
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby zenguitar » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:03 am

+1 to Roland Support. I've found them very helpful over many years.

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Martin Walker » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:26 am

I agree about contacting Roland, but of course the most important matter is to welcome you to the SOS Forums, so...

Hi Eric, and welcome to the SOS Forums! 8-)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ez » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:40 pm

Hi all. Thanks for your comments. I contacted Roland who sadly couldn't help me but they did respond within 24 hours and they recommended an engineer who probably could, so top marks to Roland for replying. Alas said engineer is at least 40 miles east of where I live. I could always bite the proverbial bullet and give him a ring. I may be surprised, then again I might need to sit down in a darkened room.

Anyway, why do keyboard manufacturers put non keyboard sounds i.e. guitar etc on their keyboards?

:roll:
Ez
Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 09, 2016 9:09 am

Ez wrote:Anyway, why do keyboard manufacturers put non keyboard sounds i.e. guitar etc on their keyboards?

Speaking as someone who was 'played guitar' on keyboards over the years, it's handy to be able to beef up the real thing when playing live.

Choirs aren't keyboard sounds - should we also ditch those? Strings?

If you don't want them, then just ignore them. But when you do need them, boy are they handy..
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby Ez » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:30 am

I guess it was a dumb question to ask. You are right, ditching the guitars will lead to choirs, strings etc. It's just that I have never had much success using guitar sounds - mainly because I can't play a guitar. I'll crawl back into my hole and think of a sensible question. :headbang: :blush: :blush:
Ez
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:39 am

Ez wrote:You are right, ditching the guitars will lead to choirs, strings etc. It's just that I have never had much success using guitar sounds - mainly because I can't play a guitar.

They can be remarkably difficult to play on a keyboard, because guitarists use quite different chord shapes and moves from the average keyboard player. Also, strumming and finger-picking on a keyboard can be really tricky to pull off accurately.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Ez » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:46 am

Thanks Martin.

On another note! Has anyone, to your knowledge produced a program/patch change unit - either hardware or software along the lines of the Syco Logic unit that was around in the eighties? I don't really want to rely on a PC or MAC for that matter.
Ez
Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:47 pm

Ez - sorry, wasn't trying to be harsh - should have stuck a smiley in there. ;)

But the days of a single, dedicated instrument went long ago (although we are seeing a resurgence in analogue polysynths - yay!) and manufacturers cram all sorts of stuff in there hoping to appeal to everyone - or at least the broadest possible audience.

So we get six million sax presets on a keyboard... :frown:

I've 'got away' with some guitar stuff live. It's not too bad .. sometimes... but, as Martin pointed out, it's a different set of techniques. I'm lucky that I'm not a traditional pianist as it would play hell with my brain!

I haven't heard of a Sycologic replacement. It was a great system (but could be flakey so I'm told) but the days of vast, Wakeman-esque keyboard rigs have gone. And, last time I checked, Rick still uses his Sycologic so I'm not hopeful for a newer version. I'd love to be wrong though.

Nowadays, I'd be tempted to have a main keyboard with good external control (Korg's combi mode is brilliant for this) and then use a midi splitter/thrus to send to multiple keyboards / modules.
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Ez » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:22 pm

To Dave B, No offence taken whatsoever, certainly didn't think you were harsh. My Juno D synth is so convoluted in the way of storing patches,performances etc I have to resort to good old pen and paper to remember patches, unless someone on SOS forum land knows of a better way. I'm all ears.
Ez
Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:28 pm

Dave B wrote: the days of vast, Wakeman-esque keyboard rigs have gone.

Because Dave owns them all !!! :D
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:31 pm

Patch list for Juno D

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/JUNO-D_PA.pdf

You'll still need a highligher pen to mark your favourites !
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby The Elf » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:36 pm

Dave B wrote:the days of vast, Wakeman-esque keyboard rigs have gone
Speak for yourself!! :D
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby Wonks » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:53 pm

It's only because Dave is limited to how many keyboards he can get in his Golf. Now if he would only get a Transit...
Wonks
Jedi Poster
Correcting mistakes on the internet since 1853

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:45 pm

Ez, what I (and I suspect most) tend to is when I get a new keyboard for live is to go through finding the patches that I need for certain songs (perhaps tweaking presets, sometimes just renaming them, sometimes starting from scratch) and save them as the first load of patches (or at an easy number - just so long as they are in one block) so that I can just scroll through that list in between songs. Simples. :)
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:46 pm

And I'm ignoring the rest of you reprobates ... I have plenty of room in the car. Sadly, I just don't have the energy or patience
any more...

:bouncy:
Dave B
Jedi Poster

Postby Ez » Wed Feb 10, 2016 11:08 am

I suppose I could go back to having 1 keyboard for 1 sound and end up hogging the stage. Still it would upset the guitarists somewhat. Or else just use a piano. :tongue:
Ez
Poster