You are here

My dad invented a synth in the '70s...

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: My dad invented a synth in the '70s...

Postby desmond » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:10 am

You’re welcome! Best of luck with the project! :thumbup: 8-)
desmond
Jedi Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:55 am

desmond wrote:The Kickstarter for Alison's Resynator film is now up at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... /resynator

I've backed it, so if anyone else is interested in the story and the history, you can also show your support.

At the beginning of this thread over 2 years ago I was quite harsh in my response to the original video, which with hindsight I regret.

I've now backed the kickstarter also, mainly due to the updated video and subsequent information about the project, plus having taken on board the wisdom of Andy and one or two others. I can't retract my dislike of the original video as a video but that's just an opinion on that video and it's evidently clear that the documentary is about so much more.

So, Alison, for what it's worth please accept my apologies for my initial criticism of that first video, I viewed it from a very limited perspective which was wrong of me.

The later video on the kickstarter is so much better and really sheds light on the mission you're on here, and I'm more than happy to be part of it in a small way.

I very much hope the kickstarter succeeds and I very much look forward to seeing the results :thumbup:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster
Some of my musical works.
I had a weird time in Surrey once, but that was a drummer's fault.

Postby zenguitar » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:09 am

That post is very much to your credit Eddy.

:clap:

Andy :beamup:
zenguitar
When you see a fork in the road, take it.
Yogi Berra

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:23 am

You're too kind Andy ... thank you for the sentiment. Now and again we all fail our own d**khead test, I just happened to do it publicly :blush:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby resynator » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:10 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:
desmond wrote:The Kickstarter for Alison's Resynator film is now up at:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... /resynator

I've backed it, so if anyone else is interested in the story and the history, you can also show your support.

At the beginning of this thread over 2 years ago I was quite harsh in my response to the original video, which with hindsight I regret.

I've now backed the kickstarter also, mainly due to the updated video and subsequent information about the project, plus having taken on board the wisdom of Andy and one or two others. I can't retract my dislike of the original video as a video but that's just an opinion on that video and it's evidently clear that the documentary is about so much more.

So, Alison, for what it's worth please accept my apologies for my initial criticism of that first video, I viewed it from a very limited perspective which was wrong of me.

The later video on the kickstarter is so much better and really sheds light on the mission you're on here, and I'm more than happy to be part of it in a small way.

I very much hope the kickstarter succeeds and I very much look forward to seeing the results :thumbup:

Hey Eddy! I really appreciate that so much! When I made that original video, the synth had just been resurrected and no one had really used it yet so I wasn't able to really showcase it and I was in way over my head in trying to understand what it was. I've come a long way and you reaching out (and pledging on my kickstarter - thank you!!) is really validating for me. I know much more about the technology than I did, and I also know a lot more about filmmaking! Two things that were very new to me 4 years ago.

I hope to continue to learn more and really appreciate the synth community in helping me to further my knowledge of the history of synthesis and where the Resynator fits into all of it so that I can be accurate in my documentary.

This post means a lot!
resynator
Poster

Postby Eddy Deegan » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:29 am

I'm a total convert.

I think you've really surpassed the point where validation is needed - you have a poignant and interesting story to document. Synthesizers are often baffling to the uninitiated and I understand the challenges associated with coming to grips with a black box with some knobs on it. You've done great. I'm glad that there is over a month to go on the kickstarter page because by the look of it you'll cross that line.

I'll also commit to backing it a second time in a few days from now (hurrah for payday). Your Father was an exceptional man who deserves recognition, I regret I didn't take that part to heart sooner. I would never have heard of him were it not for your efforts and it's clear that your drive to make this thing happen is formidable.

I hear you on the film-making front - it's really hard to do well and your current stuff speaks volumes about how far you've progressed.

I'm going to put the word around to some of my friends and contacts as well. I wish you every success. You deserve it. :clap:
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:55 am

This looks brilliant, I hope you get funded!

SonicState did a nice segment on the Kickstarter on this week’s SonicTalk podcast.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby resynator » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:41 am

Eddy Deegan wrote:I'm a total convert.

I think you've really surpassed the point where validation is needed - you have a poignant and interesting story to document. Synthesizers are often baffling to the uninitiated and I understand the challenges associated with coming to grips with a black box with some knobs on it. You've done great. I'm glad that there is over a month to go on the kickstarter page because by the look of it you'll cross that line.

I'll also commit to backing it a second time in a few days from now (hurrah for payday). Your Father was an exceptional man who deserves recognition, I regret I didn't take that part to heart sooner. I would never have heard of him were it not for your efforts and it's clear that your drive to make this thing happen is formidable.

I hear you on the film-making front - it's really hard to do well and your current stuff speaks volumes about how far you've progressed.

I'm going to put the word around to some of my friends and contacts as well. I wish you every success. You deserve it. :clap:

This made my day. And yes, to make it to the real funding goal of this campaign, spreading the word will be vital so I can't thank you enough.
resynator
Poster

Postby ReadySaltedChris » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Can I see a video of this anywhere or hear it?
ReadySaltedChris
Regular

Postby Martin Walker » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:31 pm

ReadySaltedChris wrote:Can I see a video of this anywhere or hear it?

If you follow Alison's Kickstarter link above you'll find three musical YouTube demonstrations further down the page.

Personally I think this track is the most intriguing, although it's still tricky to work out which exactly are the Resynator parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8mCtZnf4Xw

If the Kickstarter for the film that Alison is trying to complete gets sufficient backing a composer will be brought in to create a score using only the Resynator, which should be the perfect way to showcase all its talents.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby Folderol » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:56 pm

This really needs a proper demo.
Without seeing and more importantly, clearly hearing it, in action it's impossible to form any opinion.
Folderol
Jedi Poster
Yes. I am that Linux nut.

Postby resynator » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:27 pm

Hey guys, about halfway down the page of the Kickstarter you will find a "History of the Resynator" video. There is a trumpet demo and the entire score of the video was made using only the Resynator (drums, vocals, guitar and bass were run through it). Grace Potter is also creating a soundscape demo that will be on a 7" vinyl that I have up on the page as a reward, and if you go to my instagram you can find lots of videos of people trying it out.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/re ... ref=ere6sf

Hope this helps.
resynator
Poster

Postby resynator » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Folderol wrote:This really needs a proper demo.
Without seeing and more importantly, clearly hearing it, in action it's impossible to form any opinion.

sorry forgot to tag you in my above response. Please see above.
resynator
Poster

Postby Martin Walker » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:41 pm

resynator wrote:Hey guys, about halfway down the page of the Kickstarter you will find a "History of the Resynator" video. There is a trumpet demo and the entire score of the video was made using only the Resynator (drums, vocals, guitar and bass were run through it). Grace Potter is also creating a soundscape demo that will be on a 7" vinyl that I have up on the page as a reward, and if you go to my instagram you can find lots of videos of people trying it out.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Alison - that makes things a lot clearer :thumbup:

I did try running that video before I posted, but it takes a long, long time to start up on my Internet link, so I moved the next one. Now I've persevered it explains things very well indeed.

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby resynator » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:45 pm

Martin Walker wrote:
resynator wrote:Hey guys, about halfway down the page of the Kickstarter you will find a "History of the Resynator" video. There is a trumpet demo and the entire score of the video was made using only the Resynator (drums, vocals, guitar and bass were run through it). Grace Potter is also creating a soundscape demo that will be on a 7" vinyl that I have up on the page as a reward, and if you go to my instagram you can find lots of videos of people trying it out.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Alison - that makes things a lot clearer :thumbup:

I did try running that video before I posted, but it takes a long, long time to start up on my Internet link, so I moved the next one. Now I've persevered it explains things very well indeed.

Martin

ok good! I'll continue to post demos/videos to my instagram and also on the kickstarter page as well as I get them. And yes, the score will be done with the Resynator as well - when the film comes out, but that wont be until 2021!
resynator
Poster

Previous