You are here

I need a VST plug-in for one-finger chords

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

I need a VST plug-in for one-finger chords

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:32 pm

I'm looking for a VST plug-in that will let me assign multiple MIDI notes to a single key press and send the resulting notes to another VST instrument.

I tried Chordz (http://www.codefn42.com/chordz/index.html), which almost does what I need, but it seems to be limited to 12 chords per instance, which is far too limited (albeit I realise that I could use multiple instances to get around this - at a push).

Can anyone suggest something like Chordz, but with the ability to assign many more note patterns across a keyboard? 64-bit ideally.

Ta!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Re: I need a VST plug-in for one-finger chords

Postby BJG145 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:16 pm

...never tried it, but I was curious to read this about Xfer Cthulhu:

"One Note Becomes Many. Cthulhu is firstly a chord memorizer and player, allowing you to experiment with creating and reworking chord progressions with single-note presses. Included are over 150 factory chord presets allowing for a near-unlimited amount of possible musical-sounding chord progressions."

https://www.xferrecords.com/products/cthulhu

They make a great drum machine called Nerve.
BJG145
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 pm

:thumbup: Thanks, my friend, I'll take a look at it!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:19 am

This one is looking the winner so far:

http://www.vst4free.com/free_vst.php?id=1642
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Richie Royale » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:55 pm

Doesn't the Cubase Chorder plug-in do this?
Richie Royale
Jedi Poster
http://soundcloud.com/richie-royale 

Postby Martin Walker » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:06 pm

Richie Royale wrote:Doesn't the Cubase Chorder plug-in do this?

It would seem it does, but The Elf's 'midiChords' appears to do a lot more, judging by the fact that it 'Imports Cubase/Nuendo Chorder .xml presets.'

It's also incredible value for money ;)

Martin
Martin Walker

Postby The Elf » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:41 pm

I also need this plug to be available outside of Cubase.

I'm happy with the one I mentioned above. It does the job nicely.
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Steve A » Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:06 pm

In a similar vein, and hopefully therefore not a completely shameless thread hijack, I'd be interested in a plug-in that takes polyphonic MIDI information in a track and can distribute it monophonically round robin style over multiple VST instruments if such a thing exists. Basically I want to try and coax the monophonic Roland Promars plug-in into behaving like a sort of polyphonic virtual Jupiter 4.
Steve A
Regular

Postby A Mole » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:13 am

Steve A wrote:In a similar vein, and hopefully therefore not a completely shameless thread hijack, I'd be interested in a plug-in that takes polyphonic MIDI information in a track and can distribute it monophonically round robin style over multiple VST instruments if such a thing exists. Basically I want to try and coax the monophonic Roland Promars plug-in into behaving like a sort of polyphonic virtual Jupiter 4.

That is pretty seriously OT Steve. I don't know of a plug-in, but one way to do it would be to get the notes onto different channels. This'd be fairly easy in most DAWS, just select them and change the channel in bulk.

I guess you could also set up a bunch of virtual instruments which are only able to respond to a constrained set of note numbers on the same channel, but perhaps life is too short!
A Mole
Regular

Postby Jumpeyspyder » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:26 am

Steve A - Q. does you want this to be played live or to pre-recorded MIDI ?
Jumpeyspyder
Frequent Poster

Postby Steve A » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Jumpeyspyder wrote:Steve A - Q. does you want this to be played live or to pre-recorded MIDI ?

No, pre-recorded is fine. I know it's a bit extreme and it's not worth doing unless there is a reasonably easy hack to get it to work. I do a lot of eighties re-creations / soundalike stuff and JP4 sounds are very useful for certain tracks and very recognisable to my ears. The Promars plug-out is pretty close but it's always irritated me that they didn't give it a polyphonic option.
Steve A
Regular

Postby The Elf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:24 pm

Have a look at the offerings from the guys who wrote my chorder utility. I see something there that sounds like what you are looking for.

http://thepiz.org/plugins/
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby Don_Dayglow » Tue Nov 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Hi, I'm gonna suggest Captain Plugins. One finger VST chords that you can set to play all kinds of chord types (7th, 9ths, borrowed chords, different inversions, suspensions... you name it). Works super nice with your MIDI keyboard or computer keyboard, and is just one part of the overall package. Recommended!
Don_Dayglow

Postby N i g e l » Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:28 pm

Steve A wrote:In a similar vein, and hopefully therefore not a completely shameless thread hijack, I'd be interested in a plug-in that takes polyphonic MIDI information in a track and can distribute it monophonically round robin style over multiple VST instruments

My DAW is Cakewalk which can run macro script "CAL" files to do this type of thing.

Maybe other DAWs can too, the popular Reaper has some sort of scripting.

Some typical applications are to take a poly drum track & split it into track per note for ease of editing or split a midi stream into track per channel.

What you describe might be a guitar orientated app for taking single channel guitar midi and spreading into 6 tracks i.e. track per string.

Just some thoughts !
N i g e l
Regular

Postby ManFromGlass » Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:27 pm

A long time ago I set something like that up in Logic for a drum pad into Logic connected to synths on different midi channels. Every hit triggered the same note but on a different synth. Logic controlled the cycling through the channels.
Sounded very cool.
ManFromGlass
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby OneWorld » Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:49 pm

N i g e l wrote:
Steve A wrote:In a similar vein, and hopefully therefore not a completely shameless thread hijack, I'd be interested in a plug-in that takes polyphonic MIDI information in a track and can distribute it monophonically round robin style over multiple VST instruments

My DAW is Cakewalk which can run macro script "CAL" files to do this type of thing.

Maybe other DAWs can too, the popular Reaper has some sort of scripting.

Some typical applications are to take a poly drum track & split it into track per note for ease of editing or split a midi stream into track per channel.

What you describe might be a guitar orientated app for taking single channel guitar midi and spreading into 6 tracks i.e. track per string.

Just some thoughts !

Off topic but thought I would say, I am a Cubase user, but the latest incarnation (C10) just doesn't do it for me. It is the GUI. I downloaded Cakewalk from the Bandlab website and I simply cannot understand why Cakewalk went out of favour - the design is infinitely, more appealing instead of the current 'any colour as long as it's black' fad. I cannot get my control surface to work with Cakewalk (ICON QCON) it isn't listed amongst those control surfaces that are supported, but I am returning to Cakewalk more and more
OneWorld
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:04 pm

OneWorld wrote: I cannot get my control surface to work with Cakewalk (ICON QCON) it isn't listed amongst those control surfaces that are supported

Im not familliar with that controller but the Mackie Control option seems to be a standard
that works if your controller has a Mackie mode.

Theres also the learn mode in Sonar and the AZSLOW adaptor [ I used that with FAderPort 1]

http://www.azslow.com/

There are quite a few setup tutorials on utube too.
N i g e l
Regular

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:53 pm

Hey Elf, does it have to be a VST / software?

How about this wee beastie?

https://www.islainstruments.com/product/kordbot/

Here's Gaz Williams doing a Sonic LAB in-depth;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPJDqEGVJ8E
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Postby The Elf » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:00 pm

Thanks for the tip. That's quite a clever device, but not really what I need.

Essentially I have sections of songs that require layered/split chord shapes, bass pedals et al, while also playing twiddly right-hand solo parts - and I need to do all of this while keeping time with live players! And I need a LOT of chords! 12 chords doesn't even begin to come close!

To do this I will trigger chordal parts one at a time from keys in ascending sequence with my left hand, while doing the fiddly lead parts with my right. Good job I have a couple of 88-note non-weighted keyboards!

And this all needs to run under Cantabile and be ready to switch to a new block of chords at the push of a switch.

I found my champion in PizMIDI's midiChords. I can have a separate chord for every key on my keyboard - enough even for a one-man prog-rock epic!
The Elf
Jedi Poster

Postby n o i s e f l e ur » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Hahahaha!

More of an Eno / Post Punk type myself - so three, or sometimes even two (or one!) chord is pushing it.

That plugin you found does look to be great for the job to be fair.
n o i s e f l e ur
Regular

Next