You are here

Naughty Yamaha - secret acoustic piano on Reface CP!

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Re: Naughty Yamaha - secret acoustic piano on Reface CP!

Postby The Red Bladder » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:17 am

I used to work for a Yamaha service centre in the 70s and ALL digital synths and similar boxes have 'hidden' functions.

They are of course not really hidden but are nearly always fully documented in the service docs - that only certified service centres have access to. The usual way to get to them is by holding down a specific key or button or switch - usually the function select or main selector switch - and the powering up. This gives access to the service mode. This allows permanent changes and resetting of EPROMs and other things to be done by the repair people.

BE WARNED - when you are in service mode, you can do real damage if you don't know what you are doing!

But rooting around in service mode on a cheap box like this one could prove to be fun. There might be other sounds in there.
The Red Bladder
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby N i g e l » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:35 am

Hi Nigel,

I am a new Reface CP owner - and, although I have zero soldering experience, I am fairly good with fiddly things.

From watching the video you posted, can I ask, if I were just to snip the pin that connects to the Toy piano, would that then simply allow me to select 'Toy' when I power up and give me the acoustic piano instead?
Guido

the essence of the mod is to enable powering up with the TYPE switch not connecting to anything, either by balancing it halfway between selections or [my preference] adding an extra unconnected switch position or by isolating one of the existing positions [and swapping access that tone for the piano] .

So, in short yes, if you cut a leg off the switch you can loose the toy piano and gain the accoustic piano when powering up.

I cannot remember which leg is associated with the Toy Piano, you may have to use a multimeter to check that out and/or have a look at the datasheet for the switch, which will describe the pinout.

double check youve got the right leg before cutting.
Measure twice, cut once !
N i g e l
Frequent Poster

Postby guidos656 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:59 am

N i g e l wrote:
double check youve got the right leg before cutting.
Measure twice, cut once !

Thanks Nigel! According to the video, it's the leg I pointed to in the image in my post.

However, like you say, measure twice, cut once. I will double check with a meter and also the datasheet.

Thanks for your reply :)

Guido
guidos656
New here

Postby The Elf » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:46 am

The 'free' piano is not great, but it would be churlish to dismiss it. For most dance music it would work fine and for something you can put in a rucksack it's nice to have.
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby guidos656 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:53 am

The Elf wrote:The 'free' piano is not great, but it would be churlish to dismiss it. For most dance music it would work fine and for something you can put in a rucksack it's nice to have.

And, for me at least, would certainly get more use than the toy piano!
guidos656
New here

Postby Arpangel » Wed Jul 01, 2020 7:45 am

guidos656 wrote:
The Elf wrote:The 'free' piano is not great, but it would be churlish to dismiss it. For most dance music it would work fine and for something you can put in a rucksack it's nice to have.

The toy piano on the CP was one of my favourites, if you connect it to a full range keyboard and play the lower octaves, there are glorious clangorous sounds, add some overdrive and effects and it sounds fantastic, for me, much more interesting than just another piano sound.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Postby guidos656 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:17 pm

Arpangel wrote:
guidos656 wrote:

The toy piano on the CP was one of my favourites, if you connect it to a full range keyboard and play the lower octaves, there are glorious clangorous sounds, add some overdrive and effects and it sounds fantastic, for me, much more interesting than just another piano sound.

Ah really? I've never had much use for those kind of sounds before. I bet if I do remove it, that will be the day I really need a toy piano/bell like sound! Haha.
guidos656
New here

Postby The Elf » Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:44 pm

guidos656 wrote:Ah really? I've never had much use for those kind of sounds before. I bet if I do remove it, that will be the day I really need a toy piano/bell like sound! Haha.
Never used it either. It's a waste of sample memory, if you ask me. An RMI piano would have been far more useful.

The glaringly repetitive artefacts ruin the toy piano, even if a toy piano was actually called for!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby ConcertinaChap » Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:28 pm

Arpangel wrote:Like getting a Stanley knife out and cropping a Monet to make it fit on your living room wall.

Be fair, it's actually like cropping a copy of a Monet (made using a mobile phone camera at that).

CC
ConcertinaChap
Jedi Poster
Making music: Eagle Alley, recording music: Mr Punch's Studio
We are normal and we want our freedom!.

Postby Arpangel » Thu Jul 02, 2020 7:57 am

Anyone that buys a Reface CP isn’t going to be buying it for an acoustic piano, it’s a Rhodes.
Shame about the Refaces in general, great sounds, all of them, but I’m sure they’d have been better if in a sort of Volca format, or small half-rack, the keyboard is totally useless, and I can’t think when I would have used it, and it makes it awkward to find a space for.
Arpangel
Jedi Poster

Previous