You are here

Anyone here using Nodal generative music software?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Anyone here using Nodal generative music software?

Postby Ben Asaro » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:44 pm

I was looking into creating some drones for improvisational synth work and stumbled across this software. Is anyone here using this software at all? If so, how difficult did you find it learn?
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone here using Nodal generative music software?

Postby slewin49 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:24 am

I tried it years ago. It was interesting but at the time it was almost impossible to get it to send MIDI out to anything reliably. You were stuck with its internal synth so I sort of lost interest. I vaguely remember it being relatively easy to get something tuneful out of but I never did anything serious with it. Looking at the website now it does seem to have improved quite a bit from what I remember.

ATM the only generative software I use is Noatikl https://intermorphic.com/ It's very good for the sort of ambient drones that I like and very controllable but I didn't find it exactly easy to get into initially. Intermorphic also seem to have abandoned development of it in favour of their new Wotja which is only available on IOS/OS-X so of no use to me.

Steve
slewin49
Regular

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:08 pm

Thanks for your insights, Steve. It looks like Nodal has addressed many/all of the issues you experienced in the latest few updates; if you purchased it and you have a 1.x version, you can upgrade to the latest version (1.9) for free according to their web site.

I will admit that I personally am on the fence as to whether this constitutes legitimate writing or composition, but dang it all if it's not just plain FUN to work with! It really is a very different way to work with music and for my own current ends it's more about creating a sort of 'harmonic sympathy' with a common pedal tone.

I would love to see this software in the hands of people who have little to no musical training and see what they come up with; I think that this would be an excellent school program to get the creative side of the brain flowing and not necessarily tied to a natural ability like drawing.

The only danger with this sort of stuff is TIME. Hours seem to vanish into a deep dark hole as what you thought was 10 minutes of work was actually 2 hours! :D
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Ben Asaro » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:11 pm

Update: this software is amazing. It straddles the line between sequencing and random improvisation. It's super intuitive and takes very little to get complex. I basically stayed up all night working on my first composition. I am looking forward to trying more ambitious pieces, though.

Version 1.9 seemlessly integrates with Logic Pro X. I had zero issue capturing my composition as midi data in LPX so I can send it to my hardware synths.
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster

Postby Guest » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:43 am

Wotja, also from Intermorphic, is the most evolved ambient generating software that I've ever seen, nothing comes remotely close to it. It's highly sophisticated and can be tweaked out to anyone's taste. Don't expect to learn it overnight though. Read the documentation and watch the two important videos on YouTube. Ridiculously cheap too !

Postby Ben Asaro » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:22 pm

I'll check it out, thanks!
Ben Asaro
Frequent Poster