You are here

Nord Electro 2 replace Yamaha Reface CP and YC?

For fans of synths, pianos or keyboard instruments of any sort.

Nord Electro 2 replace Yamaha Reface CP and YC?

Postby jellyjim » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:13 am

Hello

I’ve been learning keys again (I’ve played sporadically over the years) and recently bought a Yamaha Reface CP as I love Rhodes and Wurli sounds and a Yamaha Reface YC as I’ve been playing with a psyche rock band (Hammond, Farfisa, Vox etc). The latter is leading to some forthcoming gigs. I do have a decent digital piano (Roland FP30) but it’s impractical for rehearsals and the weighted keyboard isn’t ideal for organ, so I’ve been using a very old Yamaha CS1x (61 keys). Unfortunately that’s starting to fail

Regardless the whole set up is impractical if the gigs are to become regular. I’m wondering if replacing the lot (the CS1x and two Refaces) with a Nord Electro 2 (61 or 73, and a model 2 because that seems to be in budget, though they are hard to find) is a good idea?

Obviously it’s a good idea in terms of convenience but how do sound and features compare? I do like both the CP and YC although the CP is a bit clinical and the effects whilst good, quickly feel gimmicky (and I have all of them in guitar pedal form one way or another anyway). I’ve no doubt an Electro 2 can do great electric pianos and Hammond but can it do any transistor organs at all? I realise they’d be sample based. Hammond is more important but it’d be nice to have a Farfisa or Vox like sound too.

I couldn’t keep the Refaces and get a Nord, the former would fund the latter.

So in a nutshell, would a Nord Electro 2 replace the sounds of a CP and YC convincingly or would the Nord feel a bit long in the tooth?

Thanks
Jim
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Re: Nord Electro 2 replace Yamaha Reface CP and YC?

Postby jellyjim » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 am

Oh I've just read the Electro 3 has Vox and Farfisa models. Well it'd be interesting to consider a comparison between 2 and 3 then also
jellyjim
Frequent Poster
Original artwork and unique devices inspired by vintage technology http://www.thisisobsolete.com

Postby resistorman » Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:22 am

I was trying to do a hard reset on a friends Nord 2 to try to fix some issues and it turned out that I couldn't do it without reloading sounds and firmware... I didn't have an old enough PC or Mac! I even tried a virtual XP machine. It only supports older 32 bit versions of Windows and older Macs... last updated in 2006. Something to consider...

http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/ ... -electro-2
resistorman
Frequent Poster

Postby jellyjim » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:35 am

resistorman wrote:It only supports older 32 bit versions of Windows and older Macs... last updated in 2006. Something to consider...

Oh good call! Yes, potentially a deal breaker as I can imagine taking regular advantage of the sample loading let alone firmware updates :(
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby jellyjim » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:54 pm

Hmm, found some demos of Electro 3 and it sounds awesome plus the software works on newer Macs. I guess I'm looking at a 3 not 2 then
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave B » Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:33 pm

These days, most boards do everything _really_ well. If someone took away my Kurzweil and gave me an Electro, I would grumble a little, but no concerning the sound. (I find that there is a 'nord way' of doing things and it's slightly alien to me - obviously ymmv/imho)

It looks like you're looking at the sensible stuff (current compatibility). I can't see many coming up for sale though.

Alternatively, you could look at the Kurzweil PC3 series. That covers all the same bases (including Vox, Farfisa, etc) and they seem to go for less s/h.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby David Glover » Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:30 am

Hi Jim,
I haven't played any of the Reface instruments, but I owned an Electro 1 for a long time and moved to an Electro 5 last year.
I can certainly vouch for the quality and playability of the Nords!
I'm a bit puzzled by resistorman's problems loading the software. I didn't have any problems using my old Electro with fairly recent Macs...maybe double check with Nord (whose support is excellent I might add).
Note that the Electro 1 and 2 (and the Electro Rack) are identical except for software and front panel. A 1 becomes a 2 with updated software (free). So if a 2 works for you, a 1 will...maybe for less!
I have to say that the Electro 5 is a big jump up from any of the earlier models. Bi-timbral; sample synth; better organ and rotary models; more sample memory; OLED display; set list; drawbars... Unless you can get an earlier one for a lot less money, I'd keep saving for the new model.
All the best with it,
David
David Glover

Postby jellyjim » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:28 am

Thanks David

I did check. The software for Electro 2 requires either a 32 bit version of Windows or a Mac that supports Rosetta which is the program that allowed PowerPC compiled software to run on Intel Macs. Apple binned it a few OS's ago.

I'd love a 5 of course but I just can't justify that much outlay. I've seen 3's for £7-800.

My next dilemma is 61 or 73 keys! :)
jellyjim
Frequent Poster

Postby isaac dunn » Mon Feb 03, 2020 10:40 am

I really recommend a Yamaha mx61. This keyboard is so light and it is packed full of acoustic pianos, electric pianos, different organs, strings, a wide variety of synth sounds + plenty of effects options. It goes for about £500 but I promise you that this is literally the perfect gigging keyboard.
There are plenty of demos of this keyboard on YouTube and stuff. I don’t like Yamaha’s products but they have done well with this one.
isaac dunn
New here

Postby adrian_k » Mon Feb 03, 2020 7:20 pm

Could also look at the Roland V-combo VR-09. Very light, 61 keys, sliders for drawbars, range of EPs. No complicated menus. I’ve got one and get on with it very happily, but then I’m by no means experienced or an expert keyboard player!
adrian_k
Frequent Poster
getting better all the time..

Postby Arpangel » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:05 am

IMO the Yamaha and Roland options are far more superior to the Nord pianos.
Why? Sounds are just better on the Yamaha's, and the Roland key beds are very, very good, and the reliability of these two brands is second to none.
A friend had a Nord for awhile, I played it a lot, it was very average, sort of "OK" also, it was unreliable, he couldn’t wait to sell it, and Nord customer support left a lot to be desired.
Nord synths are very good, I like their sound, but the pianos, no, lots of better options out there.
Personally I’d keep the Refaces and get a decent master keyboard, the CP is just a classic, regardless of price and size.
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby isaac dunn » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:18 am

Yeah I definitely see where you are coming from.
I have a Nord Piano 4 and the system is bugging out and I’ve only had it for a year. Plus I live in London and I gig about often so lugging a fully weighted 88 key keyboard (with a Gater case)-[30kg) :it kills me every time I take it out.
The Nord, Roland, Yamaha: it’s like they all sample different pianos and you can here that.

....but Roland’s V-Piano technology is outdated. Especially in the higher register you really hear how dry it sounds and how the note does underwhelmingly fast. Nord has a very rich sound and it adds so much when you here how authentic the piano acoustic mechanics sound.
But it’s not worth it.

If I had the money I would get the new Yamaha Yc because the piano sound is decent and cuts through the mix really nicely+ it’s really light+plus it looks really cool+ it has the sounds I need.
So I’m gonna have to get a Yamaha mx61 instead which isn’t too much of a downgrade.

Also I play keys for a UK worship band but, unlike many, I use hardware (as oppose to faffing around with mainstage and all that).

Sorry I’m waffling.

Thanks, Isaac Dunn
isaac dunn
New here

Postby Dave B » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:41 am

One quick note about the Roland VR-09 - I had one for a good while and it's great, but Roland do seem to boost the low end on it to make it sound 'bigger'. Which works for some sounds but does tend to overwhelm the organ side somewhat. This was part of why I sold mine.

The nords might be 'bland' but they are very good at what they do. I prefer to think of them more in terms of 'no-nonsense'. I'm surprised to hear of one being unreliable as most reports I hear are of them being quite sturdy and surviving much live playing. They also hold their price well s/h which is a blessing if you own one and a curse if you fancy trying to grab one cheap. ;)

I like the look of the new Yamaha YC61 and it seems to sound good as well. But it's mahoosively overpriced for what it is (imho). If Yamaha had priced it around the 1100-1200 mark, I think that they might have had a winner there.
Dave B
Jedi Poster
Veni, Vidi, Aesculi (I came, I saw, I conkered)

Postby isaac dunn » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:53 am

I completely agree with you. I’m mean come on;
The Yamaha YC is literally a Nord with a black paint job. Should definitely be in the price bracket you suggested.

I really don’t like the Yamaha company though lol just something about it. They are primarily the make you come to if you want a beginner instrument but at the same time; they do have some great boards but they are over hyped a bit to much.

Also I don’t know if you’ve tried the Roland Fantom the shop but it’s absolutely wicked....but it’s £3000 and should have a better piano sound and some more modern synth sounds cos this board is a really great live keyboard and the faders feel so great! Sorry I went off topic.

The keyboard life is hard.

We all want a keyboard that ‘does it all’ but really well and in reality there isn’t. And that’s why people use Mainstage and Midi where your only thing that can limit you that way is what plugins you don’t have.

Sorry this is a passionate subject of mine
isaac dunn
New here

Postby Eddy Deegan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 2:27 pm

isaac dunn wrote:The Yamaha YC is literally a Nord with a black paint job.

Uh... 'literally'? A figure of speech perhaps, but literally the Yamaha isn't literally a Nord by definition. Did you mean 'similar to'? ;)

isaac dunn wrote:Also I don’t know if you’ve tried the Roland Fantom the shop but it’s absolutely wicked....but it’s £3000 and should have a better piano sound and some more modern synth sounds cos this board is a really great live keyboard and the faders feel so great!

I've disliked all the Fantoms. The latest one has a better build quality than previous models but I found the sound of it very disappointing for a board of that price and the sequencer a bit gimmicky and weird for my tastes. Yamahas (Motif / Montage) sound a lot better IMHO, although I haven't been tempted by anything on that front since the XS8 (which I still have).

isaac dunn wrote:We all want a keyboard that ‘does it all’ but really well and in reality there isn’t.

Some come closer than others but usually at the expense of friendliness. The Korg Kronos springs to mind. I use mine mostly as a controller, sound source and for jamming rather than production in and of itself but I wouldn't like to be without it.

isaac dunn wrote:And that’s why people use Mainstage and Midi where your only thing that can limit you that way is what plugins you don’t have.

Much as I like a good plugin (and I've got plenty), in my case that's why I have a selection of hardware synths, both digital and analogue, rather than one.
Eddy Deegan
Frequent Poster (Level2)
Some of my works.
Please consider supporting the SOS Forum Album project.

Postby Arpangel » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:45 am

I tried a Yamaha YC in their shop in Soho, with the intention of buying one, I bought a Reface CP instead, much to the salesman’s disappointment, just a better, more playable instrument. I spent about twenty minutes playing the CP, and about two minutes playing the YC, it was that easy to make the choice. But I’m only after electric sounds, not acoustic, so...
Arpangel
Frequent Poster (Level2)

Postby The Elf » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:19 am

Both the reface CP and reface YC are fabulous-sounding instruments. I would love to think that both (and maybe the CS - I've no time for the DX) are hiding inside the YC61, but that price?... I'll stick with the refaces!
The Elf
Jedi Poster
An Eagle for an Emperor, A Kestrel for a Knave.

Postby isaac dunn » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:21 am

The Elf wrote:Both the reface CP and reface YC are fabulous-sounding instrumets. I would love to think that both are hiding inside the YC61, but that price?... I'll stick with the refaces!

I absolutely agreee with you there. If that Yamaha Yc was around £1400 it would be just about okay.
isaac dunn
New here